How to ACTUALLY boil an egg that peels

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    I put the eggs in just cold water, boil them 10 minutes. Drain off the hot water right away. Fill the pot with cold water from the tap- not ice water. Crack the shells all over and put the hot eggs back into the cool water. Let them sit a couple of minutes. Start peeling right away. The shells just slide off when the eggs are still very warm.
    I think even with cold eggs cracking them all over and putting them in water helps get the shell to seperate from the egg.
    Refrigerating hot eggs immediately seems helpful for peeling later too.

A spoon slipped under the shell was my grandma's trick to peeling eggs.

• maura_tasi
    maura_tasi Posts: 196 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »
    I steam mine! I put 1 inch of water in a large saucepan. Insert vegetable steamer. Set eggs in the steamer. Cover & Turn on high and set timer for 15 min (for my stove). When done, rinse in cold water and peel. Perfect eggs every time.

I came up with this after using an egg steamer in a bnb and loving the results. I didn't really want another specialized appliance . After thinking about it a while I came up with this, then actually found out it was a "thing" on the web lol.

I'm totally trying this. Are the eggs cooked after the 15 minutes? I only ask because I'm not a fan of soft boiled! I never thought to use the steamer pot in a saucepan to "boil" eggs, that's a great idea.
  • Stew501
    Stew501 Posts: 65 Member
    Add white vinegar to boiling water; peels perfect every time; and helps hide the smell of boiling eggs
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    maura_tasi wrote: »
    lorrpb wrote: »
    I steam mine! I put 1 inch of water in a large saucepan. Insert vegetable steamer. Set eggs in the steamer. Cover & Turn on high and set timer for 15 min (for my stove). When done, rinse in cold water and peel. Perfect eggs every time.

I came up with this after using an egg steamer in a bnb and loving the results. I didn't really want another specialized appliance . After thinking about it a while I came up with this, then actually found out it was a "thing" on the web lol.

I'm totally trying this. Are the eggs cooked after the 15 minutes? I only ask because I'm not a fan of soft boiled! I never thought to use the steamer pot in a saucepan to "boil" eggs, that's a great idea.

Yes, they are fully cooked.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Definitely use older eggs. Fresh ones are super tough to peel regardless of the method.

I put cold eggs straight out of the fridge in a pot of lukewarm water.
    Bring to rolling boil on high heat.
    Remove from heat and cover with lid.
    Let sit for 15 minutes. (use a timer)
    Cool using cold tap water.
    Let sit for about 20 minutes, replacing the cold water a couple times.
    Crack eggs all the way around, roll between your palms, and the shells usually slide right off.

I've tried cooking eggs lots of different ways for many years and the above process works the best for me. A friend recently told me that they peel better while slightly warm and she was right! I usually peel all of them at once and put them in a ziploc bag in the fridge.
  • mococatx
    mococatx Posts: 3 Member
    My eggs also always peel, but they peel better a few days after cooking. I steam mine. Get the steamer going over high heat, put the eggs straight from the fridge into the steamer basket, cover the pot and steam for about 13 minutes. Remove from the heat, run under cold water until cool and then add some ice and let them chill.
    I peel my eggs by putting them in a jar with some water, screwing on the lid and shaking vigorously until the egg peels itself or mostly peels itself.
    Voila! Perfectly cooked and peeled hard boiled eggs!
  • itzcath
    itzcath Posts: 94 Member
    edited December 2017
    I agree with stew 501. Just add a splash of vinegar to the water and the shell just slides off in large chunks. The acid breaks down the shell & makes eggs SUPER easy to peel. My grandma taught me that and she's 94! No vinegar taste unless they get large cracks when cooking either. Plunge in cold running tap water when done and keep it running until you can feel the eggs have cooled and no longer warming the water.

• Greybeard51
    Greybeard51 Posts: 34 Member
    I put mine in the pot with cold water, turn electric stove on high for 13 minutes. They always come out great (no green yolk) and peel relatively easy
  • jbbjbb2017
    jbbjbb2017 Posts: 10 Member
    If you own an Instant Pot they boil eggs that peel perfectly. 5 minutes on low pressure.
  • jenmcalister100
    jenmcalister100 Posts: 1 Member
    My husband has his culinary degree and the key to peeling eggs is the freshness of the eggs. To peel eggs easier you want old eggs...at least 2 weeks old. I actually don’t boil my eggs anymore, I bake my eggs in the oven. I never overcook and they peel well. I put however many I need in a cupcake pan and then bake @ 350 degrees for 20 minutes. After you can let cool or if you want them faster put in cold water. Never an overcooked yolk. Best of luck!
  • koffeelady997
    koffeelady997 Posts: 2 Member
    I find room temperature eggs work best. Place in boiling water for 9 minutes, ice bath, crack by rolling on counter, dip in water and shell slides off.
  • paulab4me7982
    paulab4me7982 Posts: 44 Member
    We don’t have any difficulty peeling hard boiled eggs whether or not they are fresh or old. We place eggs in a pot, add cold water to cover, put on stove, turn element in high. Put timer on for 17 minutes. Once water is boiling vigourously turn the stove down to low. When the timer goes off drain the water and run the cold tap over the eggs for about a minute or two. Leave the eggs in the cold water until cooled off. Peel or place in the fridge
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    lilawolf wrote: »
    My eggs always peel perfectly. (When I say always I literally mean always)

Boil water, add eggs to boiled water, boil for 20 minutes exactly. (Don't turn element off, keep it on high)

Run eggs under cold water until cool enough to handle.

Smash egg on plate/counter/hard surface. Peel. (Obviously don't smash too hard lol)

Seriously, perfect every time.

This is how I've always made boiled eggs so I'm not sure if it affects the taste.

TWENTY minutes?! woah. Aren't the yolks crumbly and green at that point?

No lol for some reason it works perfectly for me. No green and crumbly.

I do the same as you, but boil for 15 minutes. Mine are perfect every time as well. Altitude will affect boiling time.
  • atudjar
    atudjar Posts: 2 Member
    I boil eggs every day and I can tell you that freshness is a huge factor in how easy they peal. To me any more than 7-8 minutes of boiling will produce a very hard boiled egg that will be easier to peal but will taste awful compared to an egg boiled for 5 minutes. If you eat egg whites every day the taste is kind of important. So I boil eggs for 5-6 minutes put them in cold water for another 5 min and then peal. If the eggs are fresh you are going to have some trouble pealing them. If they are let's say two weeks old it will be much easier. And they will taste great.
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    edited December 2017
    Get a poached egg pan and cook them that way. No shelling needed(other then cracking the egg open of course) and cook to your liking.
  • DYLPICKEL
    DYLPICKEL Posts: 100 Member
    I often boil a dozen eggs in advance and store in the fridge in the peel. I was noticing that the hot ones had peeled perfectly and the cold ones did not. I have started sitting the cold ones in a glass of hot water to warm them up and they are peeling perfectly now as well.
  • fruoshea
    fruoshea Posts: 46 Member
    For me it's less about the cooking and more about the cooling. My eggs always peel best when they're left in cold water for quite some time, so I usually let them sit in cold water while stored in the fridge too.
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    No matter how I boil the eggs, once boiled and cool they go in the fridge for a few days still in their shell so they last a bit longer.

Perfect peeling is then achieved by half filling a glass of water, adding the egg, covering top of glass with your hand and shaking. Never had an issue peeling since mum told me about this trick.