What nobody tells you about losing weight

Replies

• pennoxford
    pennoxford Posts: 37 Member
    dsboohead wrote: »
    pennoxford wrote: »
    How jealous people get who are overweight but don’t want to make changes. They shoot your happiness down.

Literally experienced this the other day. It's like you lost the weight and put it on them or something and should be blamed for their struggle.

Isn’t that strange?? People who are supportive generally and love me will look at me and not say a word. Some will say something mean about my clothes or shoes, and skip over the 80 pound loss. My favorite is the diet lecture from people who are fatter than I am—my diet is unsustainable or unhealthy, etc.. Why aren’t they just happy for me? I asked one family member how much weight she had lost, and when she told me I told her how good she looked, how great it was that she had gotten so far, etc. and she said NOTHING about me. I never would have expected that.

WTH?!?! You must look really good!!!! They just refuse to recognize it!
    What mean things could they say about shoes and your clothes?
    I had a very good friend and coworker and she had told me I am angry at you! I asked her Why?
    She proceeded to tell me that now that you are losing all this weight and are changing it makes me feel like I should too!
    Not many people can step back and verbalize those feelings.

I guess that’s it, because it doesn’t make sense in any other way. It’s just so strange to see people unhappy about my happiness—I don’t get it and yet I guess it’s a natural reaction.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    My alcohol tolerance has dropped significantly. I used to able to drink about 3 glasses of wine and any mixed drink before I get a buzz, but now after just 1 glass of wine I'm feeling almost drunk! :o I had no idea my fats cells were "helping" me with my drinks. Also i can feel the effect of alcohol much more faster than before within 10-15 minutes. I'm so scared to take a shot of alchohol when I go out with friends. My friends offer to buy me second drinks and I always so no. I'm officially a cheap date thanks to the weight loss.

Your cells get used to alcohol. They also get used to the lack of alcohol.

A friend of mine can pack away vodka like you wouldn't believe (she's 168cm and 50kg soaking wet). Me... one shot and I'm under the table. I haven't really touched alcohol in 2 years and I used to be at around 1 bottle of red wine per day. Now one glass makes me tipsy.

It just means I end up as designated driver more often than not :tongue:
  • batorkin
    batorkin Posts: 281 Member
    edited December 2017
    What do people mean when they say sleeping/sitting will become more and more uncomfortable? Isn't it the opposite? Lots of obese people have sleep disorders that go away after weight loss.

• katiegmiami
    katiegmiami Posts: 11 Member
    Love this post! :)
  • EmPersson
    EmPersson Posts: 768 Member
    sarahthes wrote: »
    aeloine wrote: »
    Speaking of sleeping, I've had this weird thing happen where the sides of my waist have shrunk but my shoulders and hips have stayed the same. The padding I used to have on my waist is gone so it kind of collapses when I sleep on my side (always). I've had pretty serious back/muscle pain at just the waist level for about three weeks now. Seems I'm finally going to have to become a back sleeper.

Try a pillow between your knees.

I've had the same issues. But I haven't built up my back/core muscles enough yet, and my shoulders collapse in forward when I lay on my side, as well. I've taken a king sized pillow and used it as a body pillow to not only support between my knees, but to prop up my chest/shoulders as well. That seems to help.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    tyrindor wrote: »
    What do people mean when they say sleeping/sitting will become more and more uncomfortable? Isn't it the opposite? Lots of obese people have sleep disorders that go away after weight loss.

You're right in regards to weight related sleep disorders, but other things come into play instead. Because your 'padding' disappears, bones make everything more uncomfortable. That harder mattress digs into your hip bones, your knees knock when you lie on your side, your coccyx/tailbone hurts if you sit on a hard surface or slouch in your chair.

Also, the being cold all the freakin' time thing doesn't help when trying to sleep in Winter. :(

Yeah, being cold and feeling my tailbone all the time isn't nearly the same as things like sleep apnea. Still it's a thing.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    aeloine wrote: »
    Speaking of sleeping, I've had this weird thing happen where the sides of my waist have shrunk but my shoulders and hips have stayed the same. The padding I used to have on my waist is gone so it kind of collapses when I sleep on my side (always). I've had pretty serious back/muscle pain at just the waist level for about three weeks now. Seems I'm finally going to have to become a back sleeper.

Me too!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!