New to this

Lady_Avery
Lady_Avery Posts: 8 Member
edited December 2017 in Social Groups
I'm on new to the ketogenic diet and am looking for friends with open diarys. Thank you
Also how many carbs are people eating a day? I'm a little confused and want to get it right

Replies

• Lady_Avery
    Lady_Avery Posts: 8 Member
    For the past three years I have been eating about 50 grams of carbs daily from mainly whole foods like nuts, etc. Sorry but I do not track what I eat but it is more or less 5% carbs, 15% protein and 80% fats, My main "sweets" are plain coconut flakes and 100% Baker's Cacao eaten at the same time with a few almonds. That is my mixed in mouth Almond Joy candy bars. :)

This is really helpful thank you so much. 50g is more than I thought
  • mwillder1
    mwillder1 Posts: 24 Member
    Hi--feel free to check out my eating diary. I've been doing this for about 11 weeks now and have lost 18lbs with very little hunger. I eat about 25-30 carbs/day. Probably going to up the amount of calories here soon, but it's ween working amazingly well.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    My diary is open and I'm a Keto Lifer (now in my 4th year of eating this way). I try to cap my total carbs at 40 grams per day. My macros are currently 65% fat, 25% protein and 10% carbs, but then I'm also in maintenance.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Lady_Avery wrote: »
    For the past three years I have been eating about 50 grams of carbs daily from mainly whole foods like nuts, etc. Sorry but I do not track what I eat but it is more or less 5% carbs, 15% protein and 80% fats, My main "sweets" are plain coconut flakes and 100% Baker's Cacao eaten at the same time with a few almonds. That is my mixed in mouth Almond Joy candy bars. :)

This is really helpful thank you so much. 50g is more than I thought

There is no ONE way to do KETO so over time find what works best for you. My overall objective is to live to be 110 walking and talking all the way. This takes short term goals off of the table like weight but as I focus on longevity weight loss, etc seems to just be a positive side effect of LCHF in my case. Arterial health goal is one example of a longevity goal. I have no idea how long I will live but I am trying to think, eat and move more like some who live to be 100+. My goal does bug the heck out of some that are not willing to make any changes when they know they should.
  • Chillycatmum
    Chillycatmum Posts: 188 Member
    My diary is open to friends - happy to add you, but be aware I am a carnivore so my diary is mainly meat or meat products - I aim for >5g carbs
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    edited December 2017
    I try to keep ~20-40 net carbs (net carbs = carbs minus fiber) but sometimes I go over and other times under. Now that the weather is getting colder I am finding that I am eating less salad so some days its easier to stay at or under 20 grams of carbs but there is less fiber. I am not overly obsessive about carbs and just look at an overall long term trend on weight loss and other physical/mental changes associated with this way of eating (WOE).

Feel free to add me as a friend if you want to look over my diary, that being said its probably not the best example but it works for me.
  • ShrimpMe
    ShrimpMe Posts: 84 Member
    I’m new too and just started yesterday. Looking for help to get and keep on track. It seems life just gets in the way and I don’t make myself a priority. All that about to change!
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    Welcome to keto! You can add me to your Friend list and then my diary will be open to you. I'm in maintenance and right now my menu is very boring, lol. I try to be at or under 20 NET carbs a day.
  • tumblyweed
    tumblyweed Posts: 416 Member
    edited December 2017
    I'm not new but newly returning. Hectic life and not the best pre-planning. Easing off the carbs slowly. Trying to gradually get down to 35g.
    Got hit with Keto flu and eased the symptoms with sweets.
    I do actually work hard and am diligent but am also honest and by no means perfect. All of these are reasons why I need support. :)
  • goatlady6
    goatlady6 Posts: 37 Member
    Welcome @Lady_Avery ! I am two weeks in and so I thought I would welcome someone even newer! Interesting about carbs...I have struggled to keep mine under 20g for sure. I have to figure out how to open my diary and I will add you as a friend too. (I only have one neutral: )
    As you can see...I'm not very good at this site yet either! LOL
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    My diary is open and I'm keto for migraines - I also calorie/carb cycle, so don't be confused by the "offset" values, that's just to keep me on target for my eat-less days. Any actual food consumed is logged as actual food.
  • Thundyrstorm
    Thundyrstorm Posts: 51 Member
    I strive for 80% fat, 15% protein, 5% carbs daily, usually come close. Carbs are usually green vegetables, about 50g or so. I use the gross carb number not deducting dietary fiber.
    I also intermittent fast, which I feel the Ketogenic diet has allowed me to pursue.

Feel free to add me, anyone I enjoy seeing updates, and cheering each other on through our various journeys!!!
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,572 Member
    My diary is open to friends. Add me if you want. I keep the net carbs under 20. I have been doing LC for 14 months. Initially I was 50 carbs a day, but I lowered it to 20 to help with keeping my glucose levels in range. I have lost over 100 lbs, and the last 60+ have been with LC.