Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Replies

• astronaught
    astronaught Posts: 103 Member
    The Vatta's War series (sci-fi series) by Elizabeth Moon has a fruitcake subplot. All sworn enemies of fruitcake would really appreciate it.

I would take those fruitcakes any day. I might even eat some.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,636 Member
    My husband claims that UK fruitcake has a layer of marzipan and a layer of royal icing. That seems a bit much for something that is already so rich...?
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    edited December 2017
    The Vatta's War series (sci-fi series) by Elizabeth Moon has a fruitcake subplot. All sworn enemies of fruitcake would really appreciate it.

I would take those fruitcakes any day. I might even eat some.
    Well, it could certainly pay off.

lkpducky wrote: »
    My husband claims that UK fruitcake has a layer of marzipan and a layer of royal icing. That seems a bit much for something that is already so rich...?

They can do, but I think something has been lost in translation. Marzipan and royal icing is typical of Christmas fruit cake or a traditional wedding fruit cake. If you can't smother a fruit cake in marzipan and royal icing for your wedding, when can you? ;)

They're not coated with marzipan and royal icing as standard. Or at least they weren't, in the days when you had to wait until Easter to buy Easter eggs, and mince pies weren't for sale until December. Now, possibly all bets may be off.

• lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,636 Member
    Probably lost in context. Ah yes, he probably did mean Christmas fruitcake. He wasn't thinking about fruitcake at other times of year.

And we didn't smother a fruit cake in marzipan and royal icing for our wedding
    1) the bugger hates marzipan
    2) we had a layered white cake/cream/raspberry jam cake with buttercream instead - a "prinzess" cake without the marzipan
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,954 Member
    I like fruitcake *ducks*

I believe it is a traditional wedding cake because it holds up so well.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    I mostly like fruitcake, but if one wants it to be really decadent-good, it's important that it omit those ucky commercial fake-dyed candied fruit in favor of homemade actual candied delicious fruit. And lovingly bathe it in alcohol for weeks, of course.

I don't really understand why @Tacklewasher wants to shoot those of us who so generously and selflessly volunteered for the Fruitcake Disposal Squad, though. ;)
  • Alatariel75
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I mostly like fruitcake, but if one wants it to be really decadent-good, it's important that it omit those ucky commercial fake-dyed candied fruit in favor of homemade actual candied delicious fruit. And lovingly bathe it in alcohol for weeks, of course.

I don't really understand why @Tacklewasher wants to shoot those of us who so generously and selflessly volunteered for the Fruitcake Disposal Squad, though. ;)

My mum's fruitcake is so alcoholic you wouldn't want to drive after it haha. So good.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member

I thought this was the "unpopular" thread!

:)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited December 2017
    There was this one fruit cake that my father ordered one time way back in the day from Swiss Colony Farms (does anyone else remember them?) that had dried fruit instead of candied, and the batter was light instead of dark, and the fruit was tropical. There wasn't booze involved either.

It was really tasty, and probably not what anyone who is really into fruitcake (like my Nan was) would call an actual fruitcake.

I've never had actual fruitcake. My mother loved it. I took one look at those green candied fruits in it and noped right out of even trying it. And I was the type of kid who would try anything.

Wait, fruitcake has candied fruits? I didn't know that. Maybe I'm talking about something different? We make it with dried fruits soaked in some kind of spirit for a few days (Disaronno this time), the cake batter is baked on low heat for 3 hours, then the same alcohol is poured on the cake and it "marinades" for a month in foil, brushed occasionally with more alcohol. I don't usually like alcohol, but "edible alcohol" is quite alright. Easter bread has candied fruits, but I never thought of it as fruitcake (has yeast). Interesting. That one is very tasty, too. I don't understand the hate for either kind.

ETA: just asked mom and it does include candied cherries in the dried fruit mix, so yes, we must be talking about the same thing. Still love it, don't care what anyone says.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    There was this one fruit cake that my father ordered one time way back in the day from Swiss Colony Farms (does anyone else remember them?) that had dried fruit instead of candied, and the batter was light instead of dark, and the fruit was tropical. There wasn't booze involved either.

It was really tasty, and probably not what anyone who is really into fruitcake (like my Nan was) would call an actual fruitcake.

I've never had actual fruitcake. My mother loved it. I took one look at those green candied fruits in it and noped right out of even trying it. And I was the type of kid who would try anything.

Wait, fruitcake has candied fruits? I didn't know that. Maybe I'm talking about something different? We make it with dried fruits soaked in some kind of spirit for a few days (Disaronno this time), the cake batter is baked on low heat for 3 hours, then the same alcohol is poured on the cake and it "marinades" for a month in foil, brushed occasionally with more alcohol. I don't usually like alcohol, but "edible alcohol" is quite alright. Easter bread has candied fruits, but I never thought of it as fruitcake (has yeast). Interesting. That one is very tasty, too. I don't understand the hate for either kind.

ETA: just asked mom and it does include candied cherries in the dried fruit mix, so yes, we must be talking about the same thing. Still love it, don't care what anyone says.

I love fruit cake too... With lots of glacé cherries (only red. Green? Blergh)

I used to make fruit cakes every year with my mum at Christmas - we'd wrap them and keep them for Easter time. The first time I was responsible for the periodical "spiking" with extra brandy, I used so much (by accident) that I wasn't allowed to eat it due to how boozy it was.

I never get round to it these days - my favourite recipe requires soaking fruit for weeks, and should probably be started in August. I always forget...
  • HeliumIsNoble
    I like fruitcake *ducks*

Literally.

You can even plonk two other cakes on a fruit cake without it caving in under the weight. Try that on a chocolate sponge!

The way it won't go stale and will taste like it should after you've made the other tiers and iced them is just a bonus.

• Alatariel75
    I like fruitcake *ducks*

Literally.

You can even plonk two other cakes on a fruit cake without it caving in under the weight. Try that on a chocolate sponge!

The way it won't go stale and will taste like it should after you've made the other tiers and iced them is just a bonus.

Back in my hospitality days i worked a VERY swanky wedding. While the wedding was happening on the terrace and we were putting the final touches on the reception, the 3 tier chocolate wedding cake collapsed under its own weight.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member

I'll send you all the fruitcake my aunt kindly insists on gifting me with each Christmas. :neutral: Every year it's a case of 'you really shouldn't have..."
  • HeliumIsNoble
    I like fruitcake *ducks*

Literally.

Back in my hospitality days i worked a VERY swanky wedding. While the wedding was happening on the terrace and we were putting the final touches on the reception, the 3 tier chocolate wedding cake collapsed under its own weight.
    Oh my... :open_mouth: How did the happy couple cope with that?

Shoulda gone with fruit cake
  • Alatariel75
    I like fruitcake *ducks*

Literally.

Oh my... :open_mouth: How did the happy couple cope with that?

Shoulda gone with fruit cake

It was a 3 tier circular cake, and the bottom tier collapsed. Due to the number of people, there was a rectangular cake out the back to be cut so there were enough servings. Head chef transferred the 2 top tiers to the rectangle cake and fridged it right up until it came out for the presentation and cutting. Bride was upset but grateful we fixed it, and the cake-maker went on the venue's blacklist.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    lokihen wrote: »
    I miss this thread. Aren't there any more regional holiday foods to discuss?

We could embark on a few pages of discussion about fruitcake culture.

ANYONE WHO GIVES FRUITCAKE SHOULD BE LINED UP AND SHOT.

Anyone who disagrees with this should also be lined up and shot.

We do not need a fruitcake culture. Those things are evil.

what about gumdrop cake?????

I'd never heard of that before and I just looked it up. It looks amazing! :p

it actually really is...my gram made it every year...it was a dense white cake with those gum drops...no icing/frosting and went awesome with tea/coffee.

I will miss it this year....

0o90wg4jidtp.jpg
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    lokihen wrote: »
    I miss this thread. Aren't there any more regional holiday foods to discuss?

We could embark on a few pages of discussion about fruitcake culture.

ANYONE WHO GIVES FRUITCAKE SHOULD BE LINED UP AND SHOT.

Anyone who disagrees with this should also be lined up and shot.

We do not need a fruitcake culture. Those things are evil.

what about gumdrop cake?????

I'd never heard of that before and I just looked it up. It looks amazing! :p

it actually really is...my gram made it every year...it was a dense white cake with those gum drops...no icing/frosting and went awesome with tea/coffee.

I will miss it this year....

0o90wg4jidtp.jpg

That absolutely looks like Christmas! Like the Sugar Plum Fairy ballet! I love it!
This discussion has been closed.