Keto?

Is Keto a sustainable diet??

Replies

• HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    Only for people who can sustain living on the foods required for keto. Otherwise it would not be for those who can't.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Not for me
  • ptrcmcc6
    ptrcmcc6 Posts: 103 Member
    It's an individual thing. If you like your carbs, Keto would probably not be sustainable.
  • batorkin
    batorkin Posts: 281 Member
    edited December 2017
    I'd say not for most people.

Probably better to just eat what you want and don't go above your calorie goal. "Weight loss is simple, but NOT easy."
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    What foods do you like to eat? And do you require a lot of volume?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Yes.
    Those that tend to stick with it have had benefits (appetite control, better energy or improved health) and that's why they stay with it. It can be restrictive so unless you are getting some benefits, people won't stick with it.

I've done it for a few years. I stay with it for the health benefits. Not being hungry very much is also a bonus.

Those who stick with it tend not to post often on the main boards. Try these groups:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

The main forums may have more negative sides to keto if you want those experiences.
    Good luck.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Only a couple of people have done it more than a few years.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Successful keto'ers don't tend to frequent the main forums. It has not always been very keto friendly. look into the MFP groups linked above.
  • tiffaninghs
    tiffaninghs Posts: 200 Member
    i was able to do it for 5 months before.. then winter came and i rediscovered pie and beans... lol
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Yes, if you like the food, feel good on it, and if it's generally easier for you to sustain than other diets. The same can be said about any diet that successfully helps someone to control their calories. Sustainability is a very individual thing. It does tend to be generally harder to navigate around social situations, but if you have strategies for that and it doesn't stress you out, why not. On the flip side, if you don't feel it's sustainable it's good to know that any diet on the planet that helps you control your calories in a sustainable way works and brings benefits. Your choice isn't limited to a handful of diets.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Yes, if you like the food, feel good on it, and if it's generally easier for you to sustain than other diets. The same can be said about any diet that successfully helps someone to control their calories. Sustainability is a very individual thing. It does tend to be generally harder to navigate around social situations, but if you have strategies for that and it doesn't stress you out, why not. On the flip side, if you don't feel it's sustainable it's good to know that any diet on the planet that helps you control your calories in a sustainable way works and brings benefits. Your choice isn't limited to a handful of diets.

This.

I tend to think that if carbohydrates are an issue for you that low carb is a better choice than keto because it offers more variety and enables a higher vegetable intake, though.