• pumasareace
    pumasareace Posts: 28 Member
    This could go on for a while.... :D
  • pumasareace
    pumasareace Posts: 28 Member
    The joys of a teething 1 year old in the small hours and nothing else to do
  • dfein001
    dfein001 Posts: 133 Member
    I bought it... Have yet to read it... I really like pizza though so probably just not gonna read it

Darn straight! Pizza is life!
  • livisuzanne
    livisuzanne Posts: 22 Member
    I have celiac and had to stop eating gluten 14 years ago. It sucked. There weren't great alternatives then, and I kept trying to eat gluten hoping it was all just a myth, or a misunderstanding, but it was definitely not.
    About 5 years ago someone was talking to my mom about the " dangers of wheat," and my mom assumed it had to do with an allergy and mentioned that I was gluten-free. The conversation got weird. She told us all about this book, and asked me how much weight I'd lost on my "diet." I borrowed the book from someone to see if it had any useful information, and I concluded quickly that it did not.
    I would never have chosen to give up gluten if it wasn't medically necessary. The reason I felt so much better when I stopped eating gluten was because my body cannot process it. I personally believe that if you don't have a reason to stop eating wheat, it isn't worth it.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    The joys of a teething 1 year old in the small hours and nothing else to do

I got time as well, i have a 2 year old and 3 week old. And i am off work for a few weeks

Off topic but congrats on the new bebe!

There's a picture in the refeeds thread, she's adorable!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    I have celiac and had to stop eating gluten 14 years ago. It sucked. There weren't great alternatives then, and I kept trying to eat gluten hoping it was all just a myth, or a misunderstanding, but it was definitely not.
    About 5 years ago someone was talking to my mom about the " dangers of wheat," and my mom assumed it had to do with an allergy and mentioned that I was gluten-free. The conversation got weird. She told us all about this book, and asked me how much weight I'd lost on my "diet." I borrowed the book from someone to see if it had any useful information, and I concluded quickly that it did not.
    I would never have chosen to give up gluten if it wasn't medically necessary. The reason I felt so much better when I stopped eating gluten was because my body cannot process it. I personally believe that if you don't have a reason to stop eating wheat, it isn't worth it.

I was diagnosed 20 years ago. I feel you on how hard being gluten free used to be back then.

It's funny, I don't avail myself much of the alternatives now, having come to find that life is much better eating foods that are inherently gluten free. What I do appreciate is the increased awareness, and the greater likelihood of there being clear labeling on cross-contaminated products that should be gluten free (like nuts processed on shared equipment).

I agree with you completely. It would not be a choice of mine to give up gluten if it weren't a medical necessity.

• GottaBurnEmAll

And no matter how hard they try the replacement foods are just odd at best and dire at worst.

That's why I don't bother! There are a few breakfast cereals that I eat, but there are gluteny versions of the same kind (like Rice Krispies, for example) that are just merely made with one ingredient that's easily swapped out or something that's on the order of Kix that's made instead on dedicated equipment. Those don't suffer for being gluten free.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    I didn't know it was specifically wheat causing the health problems I was trying to fix (painful stomach bloating, throbbing joints, immense fatigue) until trying a low-glycemic diet (based on some other self-help book advice). Turned out a small amount of pasta (was allowed in that diet mixed with other stuff to temper the glycemic load) made me sick, while my body had absolutely no issue with massive amounts of creme brulee (ie sugar)(not allowed on said test diet, but I had made creme brulee in bulk for a dinner party and have no self control). (My skin and sinuses also improved immensely - and these I hadn't been trying to fix with the diet change). If you have some health issues where the symptoms are potentially food intolerance/allergy-caused, then it won't hurt to try an elimination diet and see if they go away). I definitely wouldn't have cut them out if they didn't make me physically suffer. I'm thankfully not so sensitive - after a while I could have smaller amounts without issue (as long as I watch the frequency with which I do it). Bagels and dense chewy breads (ie the stuff that a higher gluten content makes way better) I have to pretty much avoid - even half a bagel = minor symptoms, a full bagel = significant discomfort/pain.