I never log my Wine Calories...

Replies

• boehle
    boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
    I suppose I was thinking out loud and wondering if I was getting obsessive.
    Had to stop measuring my wine to the exact millilitre.
    Doh!
    I've calorie counted for 25 years.
    The one thing I trust the label with its wine. I just log the full bottle as I count by the week.

the bottle is supposed to last that long?
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    I log it and enjoy the crap out of every last ounce.
  • NotEmphatic
    NotEmphatic Posts: 59 Member
    I log only the first three glasses.
    Better to be in that river in Egypt that over my calories.
    ;)
  • Kadoober
    Kadoober Posts: 289 Member
    I am a mead maker and it makes me sad to leave it on the shelf for now, but I love it and seeing the average calories made me sadder (and also explained the size of my keister).

It will have more time to age, I suppose, and that's never a bad thing.

Until then, I will guzzle gin and log it until I close my diary. If more somehow gets into my glass I enjoy that it's not many calories that have gone unlogged.
  • Trex5009
    Trex5009 Posts: 171 Member
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    I log everything that goes through my mouth into my stomach. Wine has calories so if I drink wine I log wine.

How many calories are in wine?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Trex5009 wrote: »
    I log everything that goes through my mouth into my stomach. Wine has calories so if I drink wine I log wine.

It depends on the type, but a decent average (for red at least) is 120 calories for a standard 5 ounce pour.
  • magster4isu
    magster4isu Posts: 632 Member

% of Alcohol X Ounces X 1.6 = Calorie Content I found this equation once. I can't remember where so I can't verify accuracy. I don't drink a lot of wine, but it has been accurate everytime I have used it and compared it to labels.
  • Trex5009
    Trex5009 Posts: 171 Member

It depends on the type, but a decent average (for red at least) is 120 calories for a standard 5 ounce pour.

% of Alcohol X Ounces X 1.6 = Calorie Content I found this equation once. I can't remember where so I can't verify accuracy. I don't drink a lot of wine, but it has been accurate everytime I have used it and compared it to labels.

Awesome thank you!
  • JCT1000
    JCT1000 Posts: 19 Member
    If I don't log my wine, I get those nasty MFP messages saying I'm not eating enough. So, I reluctantly log my wine just so I don't go into starvation mode.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member

Red ~ 125 per 5 oz pour, white can be more depending on the wine.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

Awesome thank you!

I will add that if you aren't accustomed to measuring your wine, you may want to do that. What we're served in bars or restaurants is often more than 5 ounces. If you pour what looks "right" at home, you may be getting 8-9 ounces in the glass.

I just bring this up because when I started logging, I had *no idea* what 5 ounces actually looked like. I was getting closer to 180-200 calories in my glass with what I thought was a "standard" pour.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,481 Member
    When I was counting my calories I had my friendly local bar serve me my wine in a mini carafe with the oz/ml markings on the side. I also got a mini carafe of ice to make my wine last longer.

Now I'm not counting I enjoy the over pour I get as a local. :)

Cheers, h.

Awesome thank you!

I will add that if you aren't accustomed to measuring your wine, you may want to do that. What we're served in bars or restaurants is often more than 5 ounces. If you pour what looks "right" at home, you may be getting 8-9 ounces in the glass.

I just bring this up because when I started logging, I had *no idea* what 5 ounces actually looked like. I was getting closer to 180-200 calories in my glass with what I thought was a "standard" pour.

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,455 Member
    edited December 2017
    JCT1000 wrote: »
    If I don't log my wine, I get those nasty MFP messages saying I'm not eating enough. So, I reluctantly log my wine just so I don't go into starvation mode.

Starvation mode isn't a thing, but if you are regularly eating below the minimum recommended level by MFP (1200 for women and 1500 for men) then closing the gap with wine isn't a great nutritional choice for your calories.
  • Kadoober
    Kadoober Posts: 289 Member
    Ok, this is now officially my favorite thread.

:p
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    I don't log my Jägermeister or Pisco calories. I just decide that calories aren't important for me on that day and let 'er rip.

^^ this, I dont drink as often as Id like... oh I mean used to :D and the times I do drink tend to be special occasions once a month if Im lucky soooo when I drink, its a non counting day and have what I want
  • NotEmphatic
    I think I'm getting the vibe here.
    Wine is Special and many consider wine the 'superior calories'.
    Yep, I concur.
    :p
  • NotEmphatic
    It's a Strange World We Live In, Innit?
    We all have alias usernames and some of us post profile pics of flowerpots.
    I always say, when I feel philosophical, "it's an ill wind that blows a family court lawyer no good".
    Or something like that.
    :*