How to ACTUALLY boil an egg that peels

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Now I just buy my peeled and pickled in vinegar but they cost $12 for two dozen but I am into fast food. :)
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Great suggestions!
  • ljmorgi
    ljmorgi Posts: 264 Member
    Steam in a pot on the stove, or use an Instant Pot. That thing is worth the money for the hard-boiled eggs and homemade yogurt alone!
  • NoxeemaJackson
    NoxeemaJackson Posts: 102 Member
    OKay...I am NOT a fan of countertop things but I eat alot of hard boiled eggs so...I got one of those countertop egg boiler things and it is the best thing ever, and every single egg I have peeled from there peels perfectly. Every time. It cost like $20.
  • katiegmiami
    katiegmiami Posts: 11 Member
    My no fail recipe:
    Put the eggs in a pot with water - bring to a boil;
    once boiling set timer for 25 minutes;
    immediately pour out hot water leaving eggs in pan;
    fill with cold water and a lot of ice;
    within 10 - 15 minutes they are ready to peel!
    Good luck!!!
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    edited December 2017
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I honestly think the real secret is the eggs you use, not the method. Because everyone seems to have different levels of success with different methods. But I have no idea what egg-factors are the key. Mine are always hit or miss. I actually cut myself - like a bleeding cut - on eggshell while peeling one recently, so I have no tricks for you :blush:

This is true. Eggs that are especially fresh are not going to have a clean peel if boiled. Those eggs are better scrambled or fried. If you have some eggs that are reaching the expiration date (in the USA) or a few days after they will be better to hardboil.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    If you are interested in the science behind making hard boiled eggs easy to peel...

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/the-secrets-to-peeling-hard-boiled-eggs.html?utm_source=fb&utm_campaign=dec16

• rancesr1
    rancesr1 Posts: 1 Member
    I use an egg steamer and have no problems pealing eggs.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,261 Member
    mine come out perfect every time: I add eggs to cold water, bring it to boil. boil for 1min, turn off flame , cover pot & leave it for 20min. Then put it in ice water for few min till cooled off & peel
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    lucerorojo wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I honestly think the real secret is the eggs you use, not the method. Because everyone seems to have different levels of success with different methods. But I have no idea what egg-factors are the key. Mine are always hit or miss. I actually cut myself - like a bleeding cut - on eggshell while peeling one recently, so I have no tricks for you :blush:

This is true. Eggs that are especially fresh are not going to have a clean peel if boiled. Those eggs are better scrambled or fried. If you have some eggs that are reaching the expiration date (in the USA) or a few days after they will be better to hardboil.

I expect in the USA the boiled eggs in the store came from out of date fresh eggs.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited December 2017
    Read a blog that was very useful. This guy tried every method and did the results. His conclusions -- eggs age didn't matter at all. That's a myth. Vinegar does work well -- around 1/4 of a cup for 8 cups of water. Add the eggs into hot, not cold water. Also, use an ice bath immediately when done. Do all of these 3 things and it's so easy to peel them. My wife and I are eternally grateful to that blogger that tried every method and recorded the results.

I've done these tips and since, never, ever have had an issue with peeling eggs.
  • mthome2
    mthome2 Posts: 4 Member
    I peeled an egg in one long, intact section the other day, it was so fun. I put my eggs in a pot, fill the pot with cold water, let them boil for 15 minutes, pour the hot water out, fill the pot with cold water and let the eggs sit in that until the water starts to feels warm, pour the warm water out, and refill with cold water. They've all been very easy to peel this way.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    We don’t have any difficulty peeling hard boiled eggs whether or not they are fresh or old. We place eggs in a pot, add cold water to cover, put on stove, turn element in high. Put timer on for 17 minutes. Once water is boiling vigourously turn the stove down to low. When the timer goes off drain the water and run the cold tap over the eggs for about a minute or two. Leave the eggs in the cold water until cooled off. Peel or place in the fridge

I wish it was so simple. My usual method is basically the same as what you outlined here, but I get such mixed results. For a while I was completely turned off of boiled eggs. Then I tried again and all was well for a while, then the impossible ones appeared again.
  • TonyB0588
    This is still a puzzle to me. Today's boiled egg was PERFECT. Yesterday's was horrible to peel.
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Yes, older eggs peel easier, but I always use farm fresh eggs, so I had to find a better solution. The woman I buy my eggs from was so impressed with my no fail method, she gave me a free dozen eggs!

Bring water to boil, gently place eggs in water. Boil for 12-13 minutes. When done move to ice bath immediately! Let them sit for awhile before putting in the fridge. Seriously, I have egg envy in the lunch room. :D
  • TonyB0588
    @amfmmama Thanks. Now I have to allocate a bit more time to get that water boiling before putting the egg in. And of course my egg doesn't go in the fridge after cooling down. It gets eaten right away for breakfast.
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    @amfmmama Thanks. Now I have to allocate a bit more time to get that water boiling before putting the egg in. And of course my egg doesn't go in the fridge after cooling down. It gets eaten right away for breakfast.

The ice bath is key!! Enjoy!
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    This works well for me.
    Cover eggs in pan with cold water.
    Bring to boil at high heat, reduce heat to medium (just so they don't stop boiling) and cook for 10 minutes.
    Immediately drain and run cold water over eggs in pan. When they cool slightly, lightly crack shell (do not peel) and put back in cold water so the water can get into the cracked egg. Let the eggs sit in the cold water until completely cool. Peel and enjoy. Doesn't work 100% of the time, but it is the best method I have ever found.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Bumper cars. but not with hot water. pour out the hot water and put in a little cold water before you jiggle.
  • suzyjmcd2
    suzyjmcd2 Posts: 266 Member
    First off: this how I cook my perfect egg:
    - Start the eggs in cold water, then bring to a boil
    -Turn off the heat immediately, and cover tightly. Let sit for 13 minutes
    -Drain, and fill pan with cold/ice water to stop the cooking
    -Don't let the eggs dry - keep them in the water

This is how to easily peel:
    -Put one egg at a time in a small jar - I use a small mason jar, but something like a pickle jar would work nicely
    -Fill the jar with about an inch of water.
    -Shake the egg and water inside the jar up and down once.... deliberately, so that it hits the top and bottom of the jar. Do it again, and again, but one shake at a time. Watch for the peel to start coming off and then stop... I generally find it takes 5-8 times.
    -When you take it out of the jar, you'll be amazed at how easily the rest of the shell peels off! That water has worked itself under the shell and helps it to release easily.
    -Caution -- don't shake too fast or too vigorously -- it'll split the egg itself.

It works - give it a try! All you need is an empty jar!