The Truth About Exercise at a Calorie Deficit

Replies

• blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Nice on the recovery. I've noticed I recover much better also. I think some of it is I make sure I get my vitamins/etc. and also I sleep much better without snoring now since I lost weight. Could be other things too!
  • AlisonZunguze
    AlisonZunguze Posts: 4 Member
    So happy to read all the information on this thread. Its liberating, to say the least, to finally learn and realise that, I should be focusing on what I eat and when instead of all that taxing physical torture we have been brainwashed to believe is very good for us when we a losing weight. It makes so much sense what Joe has said, just so much sense.
  • lbride
    lbride Posts: 248 Member
    slurio wrote: »
    If all I have to lose is 20 lb and just started OMAD, I don't exercise , will it help me ? I know it would it just makes sense that it will but it not being accompanied with exercises is not very efficient for me right?

FYI, I had about 15 lbs I've been wanting to lose for a bit, and stumbled into this way of eating, and in 3 weeks, already lost 10, no exercise
  • purplemorgan
    purplemorgan Posts: 2 Member
    I've been trying to explain this to so many people for so many years, and it falls on deaf ears! It's nice to find a group who gets it!
  • lbride
    lbride wrote: »
    slurio wrote: »
    If all I have to lose is 20 lb and just started OMAD, I don't exercise , will it help me ? I know it would it just makes sense that it will but it not being accompanied with exercises is not very efficient for me right?

FYI, I had about 15 lbs I've been wanting to lose for a bit, and stumbled into this way of eating, and in 3 weeks, already lost 10, no exercise

I only had 20 lbs I wanted to lose and I lost it very quickly on OMAD and it was crazy easy (2 months or so). Probably too fast but it worked and I rarely, if ever, was hungry.

• lbride
    I feel into OMAD inadvertently (busy at work) and quickly lost 20 lbs (no exercise). I'm now down to / close to my goal weight (125) and have started working out for last 6 weeks. Now I am hungry all the time and finding it difficult to stick which OMAD, which I love because it's so easy to do and keeps me alert all day. Anyone deal with this?
  • blambo61
    I feel into OMAD inadvertently (busy at work) and quickly lost 20 lbs (no exercise). I'm now down to / close to my goal weight (125) and have started working out for last 6 weeks. Now I am hungry all the time and finding it difficult to stick which OMAD, which I love because it's so easy to do and keeps me alert all day. Anyone deal with this?

A little coconut oil will tide me over tell fast time. I take that and then workout at the end of the fast. Do you work out early before the fast or after it?
  • jadeblue14
    jadeblue14 Posts: 182 Member
    Thanks for all of the great information, guys. I like to walk for a half hour on my lunch breaks, since I'm stuck at a desk all day. But it's good to hear about all of your success without intense workouts. I've done extreme workouts, and felt better, but never lost weight on them. I will say, my arms looked awesome when I was doing P90X. Maybe I'll give it a go when I'm closer to goal. Right now, pretty content to ride this out and just move more.
  • lbride
    blambo61 wrote: »

A little coconut oil will tide me over tell fast time. I take that and then workout at the end of the fast. Do you work out early before the fast or after it?

I generally eat around 2 pm, and work out first thing in the morning. I can't seem to push back the meal any longer -- maybe I'll try some coconut oil. Lately I've been eating a 300 cal meal around 10am, b/c I'm so hungry and then my second meal is the big one. But had more energy when I was just eating one meal.
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member

I generally eat around 2 pm, and work out first thing in the morning. I can't seem to push back the meal any longer -- maybe I'll try some coconut oil. Lately I've been eating a 300 cal meal around 10am, b/c I'm so hungry and then my second meal is the big one. But had more energy when I was just eating one meal.

Can't do that. Gotta be able to handle the hunger or else the day will come, inevitably, when that looming hunger will snag you and throw you off. Make peace with it now and accept the hunger. Otherwise, that's "all she wrote."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKqSDYvEjso
  • lbride
    I should have pulled this up earlier. Only made it until 10:30 today and had my "meal". Will have to try to sort this out.
  • blambo61
    I should have pulled this up earlier. Only made it until 10:30 today and had my "meal". Will have to try to sort this out.

try some coconut oil and see where that gets you. works for me.
  • lbride

What I decided to do was to eat a large / heavy protein meal last night, to try to "switch up" my eating patterns so that I'm not hungry during the day and can wait until evening.
    As an aside, I'm not clear on what you are saying about coconut oil? Are you eating it? I'm not sure that I'm up to that, but could eat some guacamole or something else high fat if I can't make it through the day. But so far so good !!
  • jeanona
    jeanona Posts: 155 Member
    edited February 2018
    Do you need to eat in the evening? I have my meal at around 11 and sometimes earlier. I love the feeling of fullness that follows me right up to evening. I usually drink coffee with a small amount of milk in the evening and that gets me over till the next day. If I’m ever really hungry to the point of feeling like I want to binge, I’ll eat a couple of hb eggs.

BUT this works for me because my meals are huge and calorie dense. I eat a lot lol.

Just giving you some other options to try.
  • lbride
    jeanona wrote: »
    Do you need to eat in the evening? I have my meal at around 11 and sometimes earlier. I love the feeling of fullness that follows me right up to evening. I usually drink coffee with a small amount of milk in the evening and that gets me over till the next day. If I’m ever really hungry to the point of feeling like I want to binge, I’ll eat a couple of hb eggs.

BUT this works for me because my meals are huge and calorie dense. I eat a lot lol.

Thanks for the options. No I don't have to eat in the evening, but I find if I eat "too early" in the day, that I'm too hungry to make it through the rest of the day. My meals are not huge if eaten in the day (so I don't slip into a food coma) which is why I prefer the evening. But working out has made me all that much hungrier. If I can't get back on track with the "evening" 'meals, I might just try what you're doing -- got to love the hard boiled eggs!
  • jeanona
    jeanona Posts: 155 Member
    Ah okay, I've never experienced food coma. In fact, it's the complete opposite. I tend to get really restless after my large meals and start getting up a lot whenever I can (I have a desk job).

Good luck with the plan! :)
  • blambo61
    edited February 2018

What I decided to do was to eat a large / heavy protein meal last night, to try to "switch up" my eating patterns so that I'm not hungry during the day and can wait until evening.
    As an aside, I'm not clear on what you are saying about coconut oil? Are you eating it? I'm not sure that I'm up to that, but could eat some guacamole or something else high fat if I can't make it through the day. But so far so good !!

Take 1/2 tsp of the coconut oil and let it melt in the mouth and get it down ya. It really works, for me anyways. I will do that if I can tell I'm going to have a really hard time and it has always gotten me through. I will also take that amount at the end of a fast and then go run for up to an hour after fasting for about 19-hrs or so and I have plenty of energy to get through the run doing that. I will bonk if I don't do that.

• blambo61
    jeanona wrote: »

I would just eat twice as much in the evenings. It doesn't stick with me that long.
  • lbride
    Thanks for all of the input. I'm going out to eat tonight and tomorrow, so clearly will wait until evening to eat - don't have any coconut oil or eggs on me today, but will get this all a try next week starting Monday and see if I can't get back to my "sweet" spot. At this point I am trying to maintain the weight (while also building muscle) and keep the high energy that I've experienced this this type of eating. Was so much easier before introducing exercise into the equation.
  • lbride
    Thanks for all of the input. I'm going out to eat tonight and tomorrow, so clearly will wait until evening to eat - don't have any coconut oil or eggs on me today, but will get this all a try next week starting Monday and see if I can't get back to my "sweet" spot. At this point I am trying to maintain the weight (while also building muscle) and keep the high energy that I've experienced this this type of eating. Was so much easier before introducing exercise into the equation.

Update, took off a week from exercising and now finally getting back into OMAD