Large Boob Question

Replies

• Jackibrazil
    Jackibrazil Posts: 124 Member
    edited December 2017
    peleroja wrote: »
    I went from about 145 lb and a size 32GG-ish down to a very manageable 28DD (if I'm buying "real" bras from a brand like Freya or Panache) at 118 lbs. They used to cause me constant issues and now I barely notice them, I run in a 32D Victoria's Secret or Lululemon sports bra with no pain, I wear XS or S bralettes all the time, they fit into button-down shirts and don't restrict my clothing choices at all, and the grooves in my shoulders are gone.

However, even that 145 lb high weight was a BMI only on the highest end of healthy, and for them to really shrink I have to stay at a BMI of >20. On my frame it's reasonable and sustainable but I remember thinking there was NO WAY they'd get smaller since I wasn't technically "fat" anyway...I was wrong, but because of where my body stores fat, I have to be into the athlete body fat percentage before a substantial change occurs.

The worst issue is probably that my ribcage is narrow and now that I have lower body fat, I'm only a 28 band and that does limit my options. But I find I do fine in a lot of mall brands' 32Ds if I don't require perfect support and I wear a lot of bralettes and low-support sports bras daily now instead of shelling out for the $100 Freya Decos I used to buy, since I don't need them to prevent serious pain anymore.

See this sounds like a good example to me. I'm coming from a higher weight but trying to lose a little more than what you lost. Hopefully mine will go down proportianally too!

EDIT and I'll never be smaller than a 32 I think. When I was 98 pounds in high school I was fitted as a 32D/E
  • Jackibrazil
    Jackibrazil Posts: 124 Member
    Personally I would get a good fitting bra and re evaluate when you get to target. Here in the uk breast reduction is rarely done on the overweight and a level of weight maintenance is required.

Yeah. That's what I'm leaning toward. My insurance has a requirement of less than 30 BMI and I'm just within that but even if I still do it after losing I may be more happy with results at a BMI of 25.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited December 2017
    Personally I would get a good fitting bra and re evaluate when you get to target. Here in the uk breast reduction is rarely done on the overweight and a level of weight maintenance is required.

Yeah. That's what I'm leaning toward. My insurance has a requirement of less than 30 BMI and I'm just within that but even if I still do it after losing I may be more happy with results at a BMI of 25.

Based on my own experiences that is what I would say too. 25 BMI is where I started out and I am so grateful that I didn't get the reduction I had consultations for even at that point, because it would have been totally unnecessary surgery when losing a bit of weight fixed my problem basically completely.

It might be one of the last places you lose from, and if so you might have to be kind of patient or lose a little more than you expected (depending on your fat distribution and your frame/shape), but it's exceedingly likely that you will lose some. It might be proportionate, so you end up a 32I instead of a 36, but even that is less to carry around and might make a solid difference.

(Edited to add: the surgeon I had my consults with also told me that I would be unlikely to lose any of them if I did lose a little weight, because I wasn't heavy and my breast tissue was very dense...he was totally wrong, obviously.)
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    peleroja wrote: »
    I went from about 145 lb and a size 32GG-ish down to a very manageable 28DD (if I'm buying "real" bras from a brand like Freya or Panache) at 118 lbs. They used to cause me constant issues and now I barely notice them, I run in a 32D Victoria's Secret or Lululemon sports bra with no pain, I wear XS or S bralettes all the time, they fit into button-down shirts and don't restrict my clothing choices at all, and the grooves in my shoulders are gone.

However, even that 145 lb high weight was a BMI only on the highest end of healthy, and for them to really shrink I have to stay at a BMI of >20. On my frame it's reasonable and sustainable but I remember thinking there was NO WAY they'd get smaller since I wasn't technically "fat" anyway...I was wrong, but because of where my body stores fat, I have to be into the athlete body fat percentage before a substantial change occurs.

The worst issue is probably that my ribcage is narrow and now that I have lower body fat, I'm only a 28 band and that does limit my options. But I find I do fine in a lot of mall brands' 32Ds if I don't require perfect support and I wear a lot of bralettes and low-support sports bras daily now instead of shelling out for the $100 Freya Decos I used to buy, since I don't need them to prevent serious pain anymore.

I thought there was no way mine would get smaller than the last time I was my current weight. Turns out with body comp changes from strength training (which is still really beginner level), they did. I'm around 21.5-22 BMI (currently sporting some prednisone-induced water weight, I have no clue what's going on under that), ended up with a fricking 8/30 band. That's enough fun to buy for with a DD, 28 must be really tricky! Anyway, I only lost that band/cup in the last couple of kg.

As I said upthread, it is variable between brands/styles, there are a few firm fit 32s that I can do, and some I can sister size with a 32D. One very pretty 32D I tried yesterday was too blimin' small in the cup and they didn't have a DD (I, conveniently, live very close to an outlet shop for NZ's major bra chain, and there's another a little further away (half hour drive) that does have the DD, so that's today's mission, because they also currently have a 'nothing over $20' sale on, and these are expensive bras at full retail).
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    i had a reduction and i don't regret it at all. there's still size fluctuation when i gain or lose weight, but i stay in the 36DDD-F range throughout. the pain and numbness in my shoulders is pretty much gone and i'm super pleased with the outcome. i have really minimal scarring, so it's almost imperceptible - like you would really have to look for the scars, and the shape is better than what i started with to be honest. i did a LOT of research on doctors before i went and i live in a pretty plastic part of the world so i had a lot of options. my insurance covered 90% as well.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member

The doctor I consulted highly recommended that I wait until I'm done losing weight and have stabilized into maintenance (unless the pain becomes too unbearable for me.) So I'm currently working with a physiotherapist to strengthen my back and keeping my fingers crossed.

I started at 115kg (250+lbs) and a I-Cup and I'm down to 80kg (roughly 170lbs) and and F now and there's hints that that might actually be an E now. When I wear regular bras, there's a bit of emptiness in my cups. I just tend to wear tight fitting sports bras most of the times as it's more comfortable for my back. I own maybe 2 regular bras and those were filthy expensive (but very pretty).
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    i had a reduction and i don't regret it at all. there's still size fluctuation when i gain or lose weight, but i stay in the 36DDD-F range throughout. the pain and numbness in my shoulders is pretty much gone and i'm super pleased with the outcome. i have really minimal scarring, so it's almost imperceptible - like you would really have to look for the scars, and the shape is better than what i started with to be honest. i did a LOT of research on doctors before i went and i live in a pretty plastic part of the world so i had a lot of options. my insurance covered 90% as well.

This was pretty much my experience as well. I had mine done 14 years ago and even through a 50 pound weight gain, I only went up one cup size. My issue and reason for my reduction was back issues because I had a significant amount of breast tissue/volume. When my surgeon did my first consult he said my breasts were "like rocks" because of the volume. I lost over 8 pounds during my reduction.

I loved my breast reduction and would do it again in a heartbeat. The only drawback (which is minor to me) is the whole breast area under my nipples is numb. I can feel the sensation there, but I can pinch real hard and not feel any pain. I still have nipple sensation though. Also, the scarring isn't noticeable now (I had the anchor incisions). 100% Vitamin E lotion is your friend during recovery.
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    If I were you, I'd get to goal, THEN think about surgery. But I understand the pain, the uncomfortableness...

I was a 38 (almost 40) D at 193. At 142 I'm a 34DD. So, even though the cup size went up, they did shrink enough that I wasn't uncomfortable any more. At 163 I was a 34G and was still pretty uncomfortable (thought about surgery too).

I'd encourage you to get to goal. Then evaluate. Because if you did the surgery, THEN lost the weight, they will change and may actually get too small (yes, I know, I'm not even sure that exists...I'd love to be a 34C).
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    I had a reduction about 3 years ago after losing 127 pounds. I was wearing a 48G at my highest (and, honestly, probably should have been wearing a larger band size but was way too uncomfortable to get a fitting). I ended up at 130 pounds wearing a 32J which is not a comfortable size to be. Even with physical therapy, etc. I was totally miserable.

I was really pleased with the reduction, ended up at a 32C which suits my body fine. The scars are barely noticeable and I don't have any numb spots. And my upper back is so much better! I continued PT after the surgery and that really helped. I have gained 15-20 pounds (which I'm working on getting off) and my band size has gone up two inches (I seem to gain in my upper body first).

I would wait until you are at your goal weight and have maintained for a bit if you can handle it. It could be you won't need the surgery at all.

Best of luck to you!
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Emily3907 wrote: »

This was pretty much my experience as well. I had mine done 14 years ago and even through a 50 pound weight gain, I only went up one cup size. My issue and reason for my reduction was back issues because I had a significant amount of breast tissue/volume. When my surgeon did my first consult he said my breasts were "like rocks" because of the volume. I lost over 8 pounds during my reduction.

I loved my breast reduction and would do it again in a heartbeat. The only drawback (which is minor to me) is the whole breast area under my nipples is numb. I can feel the sensation there, but I can pinch real hard and not feel any pain. I still have nipple sensation though. Also, the scarring isn't noticeable now (I had the anchor incisions). 100% Vitamin E lotion is your friend during recovery.

i just tried the pinch test, and i still feel pain. ouch.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    My tuppence worth. First and foremost, see if you can find a comfortable bra. I am and have been for a number of years E/F (US DDD/E) and I never have any issues with my back or discomfort from bras. I am blessed to live in the land of awesome and affordable bra manufacturers though (Bravissimo, Panache, Curvy Kate, M&S).

Secondly, if you don't already, strength train. Strengthening all the muscles that help support your bust/back will make a huge difference if it's not something you do already.

I have lost 60lbs and my boobs have lost proportionately, so they are technically smaller but still the same cup size. Again, I have no issues with discomfort or back problems.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    I didn't start off as large as you but I started with 36 DD/DDD and with weight loss and weight lifting (which I truly believe is the key) I was able to go down to a 32 C. My breast shrunk dramatically for me, I've been a DD/DDD since high school so a C is like another world. B/c I was also weightlifting and building muscle my back rarely hurt and my posture was better too.
    Good luck. I know this is a hard decision but if you stick with a weight loss routine and weight lifting, see where you are in 12 months and if you need surgery. I would avoid surgery at all costs but that's just my personal opinion.
  • ElvenToad
    ElvenToad Posts: 644 Member
    I was never properly fitted I just bought the biggest cheap bras I could find and squeezed into them. At 268+ pounds I wore a 46DDD with a bra extender to make it fit. During my weight loss (-142lbs) I lost a total of 20 inches from my bust and now wear a 34B. I was super morbidly obese though and carried a lot of fat in that area, not just in my actual breasts. No more back pain, my quality of life is 100x better.

My last 15-20lbs lost seemed to come off my boobs the most but it's different for everyone. I agree that you should get to your goal weight first and see what happens. Time goes by so quickly as it is!
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    try2again wrote: »
    Let's see some before and after pics to see how much they go down.

And to think, one of the "inspirations" on your profile page is to be a role model for your sons. *sigh*

He and 3 other dudes all tried to add me right after I made this post.

Yep, I had the same thing after another bra thread the other day. It's sad that there are still people like that in the world who just view women as objects (queue cries from *kitten* that that's not what they're doing, we're misinterpreting and can't take a compliment - UNSOLICITED SEXUALISED COMMENTS ABOUT OUR BODIES ARE NOT A *kitten* COMPLIMENT DUDES!!)

I was on a text chat playing Diablo 3 and the discussion was talking about sex during pregnancy, my comments were completely factual and not flirty or attention grabbing. Had a guy sending me creepy private tells when I had already disclosed a) I was a mom and b) I was happily married. I had to log off for the night, that's how much he made my skin crawl.