Need vegetarian meal suggestion.

sr_1995
sr_1995 Posts: 32 Member
Want to increase calorie intake to 2500-2600 cal now, and need a vegetarian meal preferably containing cottage cheese,
other meals are also appreciated (currently at 1900 cal range).

Also what is your favourite pre and post workout meal?
Also is it ok to only eat 5 boiled egg whites as post workout meal?

Please don't recommend non veg meals as already eating chicken breast for lunch. Also no protein shake for me rn as can't spend too much money rn.

Replies

• sr_1995
    Also if there are any meals with sweet potato as ingredient then it can work too.
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    I made this lately and it was absolutely divine:

African Peanut Soup

This is good and cheap:

Quinoa With Black Beans

I don't eat dairy any more, but when I did I made a baked spaghetti with a cottage cheese, sour cream, and cream cheese mixture that was super creamy and tomato-y. It was delicious and there are lots of recipes for it on Google.

Here's something wonderful I made a few days ago. I omitted the potato and served it over mashed potatoes:

Savory Mushroom Stew

Here's a good site for budget friendly veg meals:

Penny Veg

Here's one of her simple recipes:

Greek Lentil Soup
  • sr_1995
    edited December 2017
    I made this lately and it was absolutely divine:

African Peanut Soup

This is good and cheap:

Quinoa With Black Beans

I don't eat dairy any more, but when I did I made a baked spaghetti with a cottage cheese, sour cream, and cream cheese mixture that was super creamy and tomato-y. It was delicious and there are lots of recipes for it on Google.

Here's something wonderful I made a few days ago. I omitted the potato and served it over mashed potatoes:

Savory Mushroom Stew

Here's a good site for budget friendly veg meals:

Penny Veg

Here's one of her simple recipes:

Greek Lentil Soup

Thank you so much for these recipes. :)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    sr_1995 wrote: »
    Want to increase calorie intake to 2500-2600 cal now, and need a vegetarian meal preferably containing cottage cheese,

Please don't recommend non veg meals as already eating chicken breast for lunch. Also no protein shake for me rn as can't spend too much money rn.

If money is tight, why would you waste the yolks of the eggs? You could make a vegie omelette/frittata with sweet potato, plus whatever other vegies you like, and add cottage cheese to it.

I don't have specific pre/post work out meals - I don't usually like eating too soon pre training, and post training is just whatever I have for dinner.

Shakshuka is delicious - you could make a vegie/tomato based sauce, add beans, pop in a couple of eggs.

Soak oats in milk, with yoghurt (a high protein one would help increase protein content) , some fruit (I like grated apple with some cinnamon) and leave it for a few hours or over night. Add some nuts/seeds for crunch.
  • shwe74
    shwe74 Posts: 2 Member
    You can add penut cream, soya in your diet
  • tiffaninghs
    tiffaninghs Posts: 200 Member
    im vegan.. heres what i made for dinner..curried chickpeas
    1 can of chickpeas or 2
    1 bag of frozen peas
    1/2 can of full fat coconut milk
    2 tsp garam masala
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp ginger
    1 tsp cumin
    2 tsp curry powder
    2 tsp of sugar
    1 can of tomatoes ( can be stewed or diced or whole, i leave the juice too)
    saute onions and bell peppers and peas in 2 tbsp of coconut oil
  • sr_1995

If money is tight, why would you waste the yolks of the eggs? You could make a vegie omelette/frittata with sweet potato, plus whatever other vegies you like, and add cottage cheese to it.

I don't have specific pre/post work out meals - I don't usually like eating too soon pre training, and post training is just whatever I have for dinner.

Shakshuka is delicious - you could make a vegie/tomato based sauce, add beans, pop in a couple of eggs.

Soak oats in milk, with yoghurt (a high protein one would help increase protein content) , some fruit (I like grated apple with some cinnamon) and leave it for a few hours or over night. Add some nuts/seeds for crunch.

Thanks for the advice. And I usually eat boiled eggs from outside not at home so yeah can't save yolks of eggs.

But now will try to save them after knowing about this diet.
  • sr_1995
    im vegan.. heres what i made for dinner..curried chickpeas
    1 can of chickpeas or 2
    1 bag of frozen peas
    1/2 can of full fat coconut milk
    2 tsp garam masala
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp ginger
    1 tsp cumin
    2 tsp curry powder
    2 tsp of sugar
    1 can of tomatoes ( can be stewed or diced or whole, i leave the juice too)
    saute onions and bell peppers and peas in 2 tbsp of coconut oil

Thank you so much it was so nice of you to give the detailed recipe :)
  • tiffaninghs
    tiffaninghs Posts: 200 Member
    i like overnight oats.
    uncooked steel cut oats
    2 cups of full fat coconut milk
    cinnamon
    maple syrup
    walnuts
    coconut flakes
    1 tsp vanilla
    combine and let sit overnight. eat in the am
    put bananas and blueberries on top
  • sr_1995
    shwe74 wrote: »
    You can add penut cream, soya in your diet

Thanks yeah I will also add peanut butter as suggested by so many people here.
  • sr_1995
    i like overnight oats.
    uncooked steel cut oats
    2 cups of full fat coconut milk
    cinnamon
    maple syrup
    walnuts
    coconut flakes
    1 tsp vanilla
    combine and let sit overnight. eat in the am
    put bananas and blueberries on top

Thanks once again you are a lifesaver.
  • rebcam1327
    rebcam1327 Posts: 5 Member
    rebcam1327 wrote: »
    If you would like some motivation or food ideas (most of them are plant based!!) , check out my instagram page called 'munch.abunch' for healthy and quick meals!! :) xxxxx

Yeah I just checked your page out. I really needed a vegetarian diet so I am ok with it. Can't spend too much money on chicken breast only lol.

PERFECT!! LET ME KNOW IF YOU NEED ANY TIPS! XX

So have you got any tips on how I can use oats other then eating them at morning. Like I want to have a high protein meal with high carbohydrate to eat before going to gym.

or you can change it up from oatmeal and make a protein shake with oats + banana + protein shake + peanut butter :)

What if don't wanna use protein shake can I still use the other 3 ingredients together?

Also liked your Instagram page :# could thank you for your contribution this way too.

yes you can blend oats + banana + greek yoghurt + peanut butter + water/milk.

greek yoghurt has a lot of protein so it is a good substitute for protein shakes!
    hope I was of help. Feel free to message me on instagram :)

Yeah it was very helpful hopefully now I can go to gym being assured that I can be more active in gym as I was going to gym w/o having any protein rich diet before.

PERFECT! TRY TO EAT QUINOA, COTTAGE CHEESE, EGG WHITES, NUTS AND GREEK YOGHURT AS THEY ARE VERY HIGH IN PROTEIN!! :)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member

Thanks for the advice. And I usually eat boiled eggs from outside not at home so yeah can't save yolks of eggs.

But now will try to save them after knowing about this diet.

I don't mean save them... I mean eat them, don't just eat the whites. By only eating the egg whites of the boiled eggs you buy, you're throwing away nutrients and calories you have paid for.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Besides it is a lot easier to boil the whole egg in the shell. Easier to pack; it comes in its own package. The egg yolk has the majority of the calories and it has the fat soluble vitamins besides.