Would smart scale readings be same if you sit?

I want to get a scale and am interested in the ones that give bf% and sync up with apps. I don't have feet so would have to sit or kneel on it. Would that alter readings in any way? I assume weighing with prosthetics could definitely mess with the numbers.
I feel silly for asking, but I don't really know the science behind them, and don't want to waste money.

Replies

• WhereIsPJSoles
    WhereIsPJSoles Posts: 622 Member
    edited December 2017
    I think the way the bf% readings are calculated is sending an electrical current through your feet up through your legs to determine fat, muscle, and water by weight. I don’t know for sure, but I feel like you’d be getting some very inaccurate readings.
  • MissyCHF
    MissyCHF Posts: 337 Member
    edited December 2017
    I think the way the bf% readings are calculated is sending an electrical current through your feet up through your legs to determine fat, muscle, and water by weight. I don’t know for sure, but I feel like you’d be getting some very inaccurate readings.
    Yes, that's correct but I find now I only bother about my actual weight. I just don't trust the other bells and whistles are accurate so for me, that type of scale was a waste of money.

• collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Interesting question. I presume it would, but I don't have anything to back that up, or anything beyond "Huh. I don't know."

It wouldn't be an app, and it would be the same level of inaccuracy, but could you get one of the handheld ones, if you're interested just in the BF%?
  • kitzykarly
    kitzykarly Posts: 32 Member
    edited December 2017
    Yeah, I've heard that they're not very accurate, but it'd be neat if it gave "the gist" of where I stand (hoho!). I was just wondering if the current is meant for those standing flat-footed. The more I think about it, the readings are probably under the assumption that I have more body parts than I actually have. I'll just get a simple digital. And if I throw in a caliper, it'll still be cheaper!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Yeah, don't trust the gadgets that are expecting the average body. You can still calculate BMI from your weight and expected height. I suggest logging your weight on a trend tracker and pay attention to the trend.

http://www.weightgrapher.com/
  • greenlizard72
    greenlizard72 Posts: 76 Member
    This would be an interesting question to send to the manufacturer. It must be measuring electrical resistance, what else could it be measuring. In that respect, what is the difference between being on your knees and, say a short child using it? Curious.

I love your sense of humor!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    If you're interested in accurate bf estimate, I suggest you look into the dunk tank or bod pod or dexa scan. These are the reliable methods. You can do a couple times a year to monitor your progress.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »
    If you're interested in accurate bf estimate, I suggest you look into the dunk tank or bod pod or dexa scan. These are the reliable methods. You can do a couple times a year to monitor your progress.

Do you have any idea how to tell if a location is reliable? The first place I looked for near me that does dexa scans looks reputable, but $150 a pop is pretty steep.
  • WhereIsPJSoles
    WhereIsPJSoles Posts: 622 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »

Do you have any idea how to tell if a location is reliable? The first place I looked for near me that does dexa scans looks reputable, but $150 a pop is pretty steep.

Do you have any research labs near you? Might just be luck of where I live but I was searching to find ANY place that would do a dexa in my city and couldn’t find anything. I went to the research lab’s website and found multiple studies I could sign up for that would get me every body fat scan possible and they’ll actually pay me in exchange for my data.