Monthly Strength Training Check In (with pictures), Join Me

Having recently posted my success story: https://tinyurl.com/ybns3bvs

While happy with the weight loss, I was disappointed with my strength.

Reading other peoples posts especially; rajeshvvcool https://tinyurl.com/ycmw7wo6 and vismal https://tinyurl.com/y9yzn9bx

I felt I could do better, my next goal is to increase my strength and improve my muscle tone.

The loose skin I was prepared for and I can live with it.

So I have started some basic strength training and I mean basic (push ups and sit ups) and for the push ups I have to be on my knees.

Have found some free weights but the only ones I can comfortably lift at the moment is the sand filled red wrist bands.

an1f1htoxn68.jpg

Will work up to the metal weights and when I get strong enough, once am more confident will find a gym to do a proper strength training program.

This is my starting 'look' will post a set of photos every month to log my progress and see what I look like at end of the year.

ibnnbbma7aou.png

Anyone want to join me ? get your starting photos up and see you in a month :)

In the mean time will be lurking in the nutrition posts :)

Replies

• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    I don't know if I've got the nerve for photos, but I'll totally keep an eye on your progress! I'm early days to strength training as well - I started doing wall push-ups in the fall, and about a month ago worked up to doing the Nerd Fitness body weight circuit three times a week. I still can't do push-ups on my knees, but I have graduated from the wall to the stairs! I'm hoping to get some free weights and a bench this month or next, assuming my stupid pets don't suck up all my cash with stupid vet bills (it's been a sad and expensive year pet-wise).
  • Styggian
    Styggian Posts: 465 Member
    I don't know if I've got the nerve for photos, but I'll totally keep an eye on your progress! I'm early days to strength training as well - I started doing wall push-ups in the fall, and about a month ago worked up to doing the Nerd Fitness body weight circuit three times a week. I still can't do push-ups on my knees, but I have graduated from the wall to the stairs! I'm hoping to get some free weights and a bench this month or next, assuming my stupid pets don't suck up all my cash with stupid vet bills (it's been a sad and expensive year pet-wise).

Don't worry about the photos, I use them to motivate myself, somehow I look a lot better in the mirror, take care of yourself and the pets. Going to try the stair press ups
  • Styggian
    sijomial wrote: »
    Well done - here's a tip for you....
    Don't do push ups from your knees, go to the bottom of your stairs and place your hands on the step where you can manage 8 - 10 push ups. Engages your core better and nice easy progression as you get stronger - simply go down one step at a time.

PS
    I don't have any starting photos, not sure cameras were invented then! ;)

Thanks for the tip :) , no worries about the photos
  • Styggian
    edited December 2017
    Thanks for the info, will definitely use this to build up my routine. Congratulations on your results you look great am so jealous :)

Am determined to do this for a year and build up a photo diary of my progress, something I regret not doing with weight loss programme.
  • Styggian
    Month 2 check in.

For my strength training I chose Push Ups, Sit Ups and Squats, the reasoning was they are exercises I remember from my army days.

I decided that I would do 3 sets of three reps of each exercise on the scientific basis that 3 is my lucky number.

Because of my feeble base strength, I took the easiest way possible to do the exercises, see above post on tips to use walls and stairs.

After one week I felt strong enough to do 5 sets of 3 reps, again easiest version of the exercise.

The last week I have started the press ups sets in the 'full' press up position managing to complete the first set, then collapsing in a heap and finishing the remaining sets in easy mode :D

This strength training was done on alternative days after doing a light warm up/ stretching session.

The recent cold and wet weather has slowed down my cardio work especially my cycling sessions. Managed to go for a daily walk thought I had to cut it to 30 mins, as one morning I felt the onset of cramp, so I opted to shorten the distance to keep the daily routine going rather than risk a injury.

Think the cold has also effected my appetite as I seem to be eating a larger volume of food in order to keep warm, however my weekly weight has been between 62 & 63Kg, as my goal was to be sub 65Kg so am not getting stressed over the increased volume.

Next months goal is to start the Hasfit session above see what results a properly designed workout does.

A future (warm weather) goal is to start the C25k programme, back in the day I used to be a reasonably distance runner, but now can't seem to do it, my feet seen uncoordinated and I land too heavy, again I want to avoid any injuries so not pushed this project.

In the meantime I will continue to lurk in the food & nutrition forum am looking at ways to reduce my fat intake and still get my carbs and protein, see you all next month.

The Photos is there a difference ?

I declare in the 2018 photos am flexing, sucking my stomach in but no Photo enhancements used :)

676ohbyn23om.png
    307k8mbe4v8n.png
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,481 Member
    Great work!
    Slowly building up your strength is really working. I can see a change in your midsection (more than sucking in). Those abs must be getting a workout.

If it is just too nasty to get out look up some walk at home YouTube videos.

You may find doing just one set of the HasFit programme will be enough for the first week, again just build up to doing 3 sets at the programmes pace.

Not sure of your shoulder mobility, arms overhead. You may, for the rest of this month, want to work in some overhead presses, standing or seated, with either light (cans of soup) or no weight. I'm only saying that because the push-up, sit-up and squat are keeping your arms below your shoulders.

Nice to see you checking back.

Cheers, h.
  • Styggian
    Great work!
    Slowly building up your strength is really working. I can see a change in your midsection (more than sucking in). Those abs must be getting a workout.

If it is just too nasty to get out look up some walk at home YouTube videos.

You may find doing just one set of the HasFit programme will be enough for the first week, again just build up to doing 3 sets at the programmes pace.

Not sure of your shoulder mobility, arms overhead. You may, for the rest of this month, want to work in some overhead presses, standing or seated, with either light (cans of soup) or no weight. I'm only saying that because the push-up, sit-up and squat are keeping your arms below your shoulders.

Nice to see you checking back.

Cheers, h.

Thanks for the overhead tip will work on that and thanks for checking back on me :)
  • Styggian
    Month 3 check in, mini disaster month.

First half of month I decided to switch from one meal a day to breakfast & lunch, but it was too hard for me to maintain, so went back to the one meal a day routine.

The cold weather again seemed to increase the volume of food that I consumed and my lowered my activity level, luck rather than meticulous planning ensured my weight stayed stable at 62 / 63Kg.

The last half of the month had to deal with 'real life' so training was put on the back burner.

My energy levels seem erratic, some days am up for training others, so tired that I have to miss them. This could be weather/stress related or my body adapting to the new exercise routine.

On a positive note, my strength has increased, I can now do thirteen press ups from the 'normal position'

So for the Photos comparison, is there a difference ?
    Again, I declare in the 2018 photos, I am flexing, sucking my stomach in but no Photo enhancements used :)
    u9xx9wwdeb54.png
    50st0x9l2010.png

• Styggian
    Month 4 check in, a disappointing month

The cold weather finally took it's toll and the first two weeks of the month I was trying to shake a cold off.

My whole fitness routine got put in the back burner, the last two weeks been trying to get back into exercise mode but the cold is sapping my enthusiasm.

Not all bad news did my strength test this morning and I can now do 17 press ups in a row from the 'normal position'

Again, I declare in the 2018 photos, I am flexing, sucking my stomach in but no Photo enhancements used :)

u9xx9wwdeb54.png

83kl91esdmiu.png

Will continue lurking in the food & nutrition forum. At the moment am trying to meet my protein macros, even bought some protein powder to get near my goal.
  • andreascjonsson
    andreascjonsson Posts: 433 Member
    edited March 2018
    Great work dude. I got the same problem, weightloss has been going great but i have so Little muscle mass and im planning on starting to build soon. I think i will join you for motivation since you seem to be consisent.
    Here i am in a relaxed positionszvgekfpoqmj.jpg

• andreascjonsson
    Here i am flexed, just took the pictures fast now so they´re not the greatest but it´ll do
    e8q3mkeflamb.jpg
  • Styggian
    @andreascjonsson Am glad for the company, welcome aboard :)
  • andreascjonsson
    @Styggian Thanks :) Your arms and stomache have definitly improved on the pics. There also seems to be much less lose skin, especially in the lower abdomen area.
  • Styggian
    @andreascjonsson Thanks for the positive feedback it's appreciated :)
  • Styggian
    Month 5 check in, Slow start, late fitness binge

Getting back into a fitness routine proved difficult, not helped by the fact that I got a groin strain injury.

In the last ten days of the month, I got some motivation and my acivity finally increased.

Some wood chopping sessions seemed to have given me some energy, my press up PB is 18 however the last try I only managed 15.

Spent a lot of time reading about nutrition and altering MFP settings and doing various food tests.

Still trying to get stronger and trying to 'find' some energy, so next month am going to try & experiment with carb heavy meal in the morning finishing with protein heavy lunch & evening meal.

As ever, I declare in the 2018 photos, I am flexing, sucking my stomach in but no Photo enhancements used.
    ojgkhhleukjf.png

• andreascjonsson
    since my joint pics wont upload i guess ill just do them 1 by 1....c04x6lyg0ob6.jpgpf6tq9f8cwcq.jpg

This is me relaxed. Dont even know if you see any diffrence from last pictures

• andreascjonsson
    This is me flexing
    ksvf5xjv8nty.jpg
    Again, not really satisfied with the results. I hope my measurements that i do on the 7th will show more promis
  • Styggian
    @andreascjonsson Your work rate and diet is a lot more structured than mine am sure you will get the reults you're looking for soon. Also your strength and stamina is a lot better than mine, I lost lot of strength on my diet phase, I used to be able to carry 6 full shopping bags to the house now am just doing 4. So we both have more work to do ;-)