Do genetically engineered Christmas carols make you sick?

Replies

• mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    edited December 2017
    "Love's not just for Christmas"? That doesn't sound Christmasy at all.

The title of the song to me sounds like some old aunt who never has visitors from family during the year, and then at Christmas time at the family get together after a couple of eggnogs she says "love isn't just for christmas! Why can't you visit me on my damn birthday?!?"

As to the music, it just sounded like generic word mashing. I don't think I could remember a single lyric (unless the title was in there of course).

ETA: In response to thread topic; I think our small sample size mfp thread says yes. Any statisticians want to P value that for us? :D
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I love traditional Christmas music. At this time of year I prefer more somber Advent music, too, although I realize there is no longer any battle against just celebrating Christmas in advance. I dislike most non traditional happy Christmas songs or Santa-related songs and anything super kitchy/overly country (I don't dislike country music in general or country singer renditions of traditional carols, and I quite like some of these: http://www.citypages.com/music/the-ten-most-depressing-country-christmas-songs-6622891). I also like lots of not especially pop alternative versions of songs or new songs (love the Low Christmas album). Haven't listened to the song which is the subject of this thread and I reserve the right to change my mind on any song.

(My secret shame is that Last Christmas now always makes me happy when I hear it.)

Depressing??!?!!

I love "Christmas in Prison", if only because it has what I consider some of the best love song lyrics ever:
    She reminds me of a chess game with someone I admire,
    Or a picnic in the rain after a prairie fire.
    Her heart is as big as this whole g** d**n jail,
    And she's sweeter than saccharine at a drugstore sale.

Sooo John Prine. ;)

Other than that, I don't much like Christmas music, other than what Bootsy Collins (once of Parliament Funkadelic) did for (to?) it, such as (audio only):

https://youtu.be/zr5_unrd49M
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    When I was a child I always loved "We Three Kings" exactly because it was dark and minor key and not at all like other Christmas songs.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I love We Three Kings for that reason. Especially the verses after the first which no one seems to know.
  • astronaught
    astronaught Posts: 103 Member
    Yeah, or Insane Clown Posse singing I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas.

"*Kitten* snow, how does that work? Scientists lying to us and making us *kitten*"
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I love We Three Kings for that reason. Especially the verses after the first which no one seems to know.

Like "sorrowing, sighing, bleeding, dying"? Yup! Just gives me the warm fuzzies all over ;D
  • GoldenEye_
    GoldenEye_ Posts: 330 Member
    Yes, it does. Then again, the only Christmas song I enjoy is Fairy tale of New York - The Pogues.

Seeing the replies in this thread I think he might need to reconsider his research methods....
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,935 Member
    Give me "Silent Night" and that to me is the perfect song. It makes me cry every year and I'm in my sixties. So I've heard it a time or two.

I like some of the new stuff, though.

Not listening to your featured song, NC. I believe MFP has spoken. :lol:
  • vegaslounge
    vegaslounge Posts: 122 Member
    I literally just lost the Drummer Boy game (avoid hearing it from Thanksgiving to Christmas) because a coworker (who I loathe anyway) insists on playing Christmas music every. Day. For the entirely of his shift. There are not 8 hours worth of unique Christmas carols (particularly week after week). Also we're a state-run facility and probably shouldn't be playing them in areas where the public can hear them (I'm just waiting for the discriminatory lawsuit...we get some crazy people visiting us).
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    BRB - youtubing this...

Holy snowballs, Batman! I couldn't get through the 1st verse.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Yeah, or Insane Clown Posse singing I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas.

That sounds so awful, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it might actually be pretty awesome. But, since it's ICP, I'm probably wrong, so I won't go looking for it to see for myself.
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    Last night I heard a new and terrible country Christmas song about Russell the Gray and White Guinea. It was about a guinea pig, but I immediately thought of guinea fowl and couldn't make the connection. Either way, lame and stupid.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    I love Advent and Christmas music. I'm a musician, and as long as I can remember, Christmas starts in September for me, planning and preparing. This year I organized a concert to benefit the local food shelf with several other church musicians. We had over 150 voices in our combined choir and a small orchestra... It was a blast! The limited time honestly makes the music more special.

There are 100 unique hymns and carols for this season in our church hymnal. 100! But such a small fraction of those are "familiar"... Less than a third. They're familiar not just from church, but from constant play in stores and in the radio. I am always a bit frustrated because I want to introduce more variety but I hear "people want to sing their favorites" to the exclusion of all else. But I'm sneaky and make sure we have a few new favorites every year.

Classics are classics for a reason, but with the typical radio /commercial Playlist being fewer than 40 songs, the repitition can be fatiguing, particularly when stores start it in October now. It's unfortunate because there are so many amazing songs, even new ones being written every year. You'll hear more variety on a Christian radio because that's the market.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    That's got to be the most bland, blah Christmas song ever. Soulless.

And around our house, it's not Christmas until somebody plays "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer" :o
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,935 Member
    edited December 2017
    tomteboda wrote: »
    I love Advent and Christmas music. I'm a musician, and as long as I can remember, Christmas starts in September for me, planning and preparing. This year I organized a concert to benefit the local food shelf with several other church musicians. We had over 150 voices in our combined choir and a small orchestra... It was a blast! The limited time honestly makes the music more special.

There are 100 unique hymns and carols for this season in our church hymnal. 100! But such a small fraction of those are "familiar"... Less than a third. They're familiar not just from church, but from constant play in stores and in the radio. I am always a bit frustrated because I want to introduce more variety but I hear "people want to sing their favorites" to the exclusion of all else. But I'm sneaky and make sure we have a few new favorites every year.

Classics are classics for a reason, but with the typical radio /commercial Playlist being fewer than 40 songs, the repitition can be fatiguing, particularly when stores start it in October now. It's unfortunate because there are so many amazing songs, even new ones being written every year. You'll hear more variety on a Christian radio because that's the market.

I start listening to Pandora's Christian Christmas channel around the first of November. There are some really good new and newish Christian Christmas songs. I really like the "Mary Did You Know" song. It think it's kind of new.

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    tomteboda wrote: »

I start listening to Pandora's Christian Christmas channel around the first of November. There are some really good new and newish Christian Christmas songs. I really like the "Mary Did You Know" song. It think it's kind of new.

I love Mary Did You Know! It's newish comparatively (original version in the 1990's).

I love Christmas music for exactly two weeks. Christmas music in November makes me irrationally angry. I like a nice mix of classic, with a few newer pop versions for variety, and two obligatory funny ones - Dominic the Donkey and Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer because they both made me giggle when I was little :blush:
  • shandy82165
    shandy82165 Posts: 184 Member
    Nope, not even close to perfect. Totally soulless.

Now here's the best Christmas song ever: https://youtube.com/watch?v=F7u7L9FlI48
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Am I the only person who likes rock Christmas music? The Kinks "Father Christmas" and Emerson, Lake & Palmer's "I Believe In Father Christmas" are two that come to mind.