General Chat

Replies

• beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    the chunky white chocolate biscuits are screaming my name from the other side of the office. And mentally I am screaming back - 'I had 2 mince pies with lunch! go away!'

I hope it all stays mental and I don't accidentally shout it! could scare the remaining few people here!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    beerfoamy wrote: »
    the chunky white chocolate biscuits are screaming my name from the other side of the office. And mentally I am screaming back - 'I had 2 mince pies with lunch! go away!'

I hope it all stays mental and I don't accidentally shout it! could scare the remaining few people here!

Hahaha I've just had to sneakily throw half a slice of some really nice potcheen (Homemade Irish Whiskey) fruit cake in the bin
  • beerfoamy
    hehe I know potcheen! dangerous stuff - well it was at uni anyways!

fruit cake - not so much! although drenched in alcohol can't be bad!

why sneakily? could you not take it home and dispose there? or if you tried would it be eaten no question? :D
  • tinkerbellang83
    hehe I know potcheen! dangerous stuff - well it was at uni anyways!

fruit cake - not so much! although drenched in alcohol can't be bad!

why sneakily? could you not take it home and dispose there? or if you tried would it be eaten no question? :D

It wouldn't even have made it home I would have eaten when the others leave the office lol Even the guys here are like Mrs Doyle from Father Ted, ah go on, go on, go on.

So I had a half slice and just popped the rest in the bin so they aren't offended and I am not down any more unnecessary calories for the day. Should just about break even by time I have walked home and worked out today.
  • tinkerbellang83
    Aargh should have thrown it in another bin, it's all I can smell now, so glad it's hometime :lol:
  • beerfoamy
    winning!! :D
    I have started taking chocs and cakes home to share with my gf. That way I only eat half and I don't eat it myself cos I txt her to tell her we have it for pudding. lol
  • tinkerbellang83
    edited December 2017
    Good Morning All. What's on the agenda today?

I am having an active rest day today, so will just be my walk to/from work (around 6km) and a little wander around the supermarket later to stock up on fresh things for the weekend although I am tempted to do some more strength training while I have the motivation and take tomorrow as my rest day instead.

Food today:

Breakfast: Powdered Greens & OJ, Weetabix with banana & chocolate chips
    Lunch: Homemade broccoli & blue cheese soup with 2 mini garlic naans and some salted popcorn
    Dinner: Pan Fried Chicken with veg & yorkshire pudding
    Snacks: Raspberry PHD Smart Bar and Banana Super Bites
  • beerfoamy
    edited December 2017
    motivation is important! I would be tempted too!

I like that a 6km walk is active rest! :D awesome!

I have done my swim circuits and 2.5km swim and have squash tonight. (only logging that as 20 mins rather than 40 as the last few times I have played my mate I have not broken a sweat ;) )
    bitty lunch of cupboard remains and salted chilli chicken and noodles for tea (homemade) and a small lemon cheesecake protein shake of yum for afters.

winding down as much as poss on the food side ready for all you can eat Cosmo tomorrow night - I usually hit around 2500 cals in that meal alone.

Boredity boredity bored at work though and the mince pies are right there! keep telling myself I can have 1 with lunch. snacking just means brushing teeth again so is not worth it!
  • tinkerbellang83

I like that a 6km walk is active rest! :D awesome!

bitty lunch of cupboard remains and salted chilli chicken and noodles for tea (homemade) and a small lemon cheesecake protein shake of yum for afters.

Haven't much choice, it's more of a faff trying to get a bus or taxi in and I am so used to the walk now, it barely feels like effort. I actually took a detour last night and stretched it out to 4km on the way back.

Salted Chilli Chicken sounds nice, is it like a stir fry type thing? I am always on the look out for new recipes to play with.
  • beerfoamy

Haven't much choice, it's more of a faff trying to get a bus or taxi in and I am so used to the walk now, it barely feels like effort. I actually took a detour last night and stretched it out to 4km on the way back.

Salted Chilli Chicken sounds nice, is it like a stir fry type thing? I am always on the look out for new recipes to play with.

yeah, to be fair if I had a choice of walking half an hour or struggling on the buses for an hour or paying £22 for a taxi - I'd walk too!! lol

it is grilled chicken with breadcrumbs and chilli and garlic salt and salt. I have had it with egg fried rice or noodles or in a wrap or just the chicken :)

200g golden breadcrumbs
    1tsp salt
    2 tsp garlic salt
    2 tsp mild/hot chilli powder - this can be made to your own tastes. I'd try it with 2tsp mild first and see what the bite is like for you

mix all that together
    Cut up however much chicken into strips
    beat an egg and put chicken in it.
    coat each strip in the breadcrumb mix
    grill for 10 mins each side/until chicken is cooked through.

breadcrumb/spice mix can be increased for more chicken etc. I kinda guess how much to put in now based on the amount of chicken I need to cover. :)

• tinkerbellang83
    edited December 2017
    Sounds lovely, I like my food hot, so there is no mild chilli in my place lol

I was going to make crispy chicken Friday night so might jazz it up a bit and make a hybrid, I use instant mash powder instead of breadcrumbs which gives it sort of a KFC coating texture but might add garlic and chilli instead of Parmesan.
  • beerfoamy
    oh nice!! :D
    am nabbing the mash powder for fish coating - currently I do breadcrumbs and parmesan on a cod fillet but it tends to fall off a bit.
  • tinkerbellang83
    edited December 2017
    oh nice!! :D
    am nabbing the mash powder for fish coating - currently I do breadcrumbs and parmesan on a cod fillet but it tends to fall off a bit.

I use butter rather than egg too (not as healthy but it's usually fakeway night so beats *no pun intended* getting it from the takeway for calories anyway).
  • beerfoamy
    I use egg for the chicken, but just the breadcrumbs and parmesan for the fish - no binder - maybe that's why it falls of! haha

do you melt the butter a bit or just rub it round a bit and hope there's enough to coat the food enough to get stuff sticking?
  • tinkerbellang83
    edited December 2017
    I use egg for the chicken, but just the breadcrumbs and parmesan for the fish - no binder - maybe that's why it falls of! haha

do you melt the butter a bit or just rub it round a bit and hope there's enough to coat the food enough to get stuff sticking?

I melt it on low heat in the microwave first. I might experiment with my coconut oil spray and see if that works as well, think it would taste nicer with the chilli & garlic.
  • beerfoamy
    Yeah it may do. never tried an oil as a binder thingy. I could melt some coconut oil........ideas! haha
    I always add a pat of butter when roasting chicken in foil in the oven too, very tasty.
  • tinkerbellang83
    I do all my "roasts" in the slow cooker these days and just crisp the skin up in the oven.
  • beerfoamy
    I have to start using slow cooker more - pulled pork was amazing.
    pulled chicken next time.
    After the holidays for sure - the thought of finding time to even look at recipes hurts my brain!

and mmmm skin. lol bestest bit!
  • tinkerbellang83
    I made some buffalo chicken pizza bread last week with pulled chicken, buffalo sauce and light cheese - it was yum!
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,160 Member
    Regarding 'active commuting' I purchased a little house specifically along a bike path that goes directly to my work. It takes 12 mins to drive along the streets with traffic and about 17 to peacefully bicycle along by myself with the birds and the squirrels and the kids that walk along going to the local High School. So of course 99.9% of the time I drive. I love commuting by bicycle, and didn't have a car for ten years where it was a daily thing. Now? I just don't know what I'm thinking.