How to get protein for Vegetarians?

Hey guys, I’ve been vegetarian for about a month now but i’m having trouble feeling full after eating. What are some good sources I can use to get more protein in a vegetarian diet?

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    edited December 2017
    Lentils, beans, peas, veggie dogs, Simply Protein brand snacks, tofu, tempeh, seitan. If you're not vegan, then eggs and dairy too.

(My diary is open if you'd like to check it out.)
  • WhalenJR
    WhalenJR Posts: 21 Member
    Yes everything above. I also use some protein shakes mixed with almond milk and pb2. Tastes like a Reece’s
  • OHammykins
    OHammykins Posts: 98 Member
    I'm a big fan of the Quorn products - especially if you're new to being veggie and are still working out what to eat. You can get Quorn chicken breasts, mince, sausages etc. which can be plugged in to substitute the meat in you meals before.

As other posters have pointed out - beans, eggs and dairy are excellent sources of protein as well.

Good luck!
  • Hemp protein!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Fats will help you feel fuller, too. Like olive oil in your dressing or drizzled on your vegetables.
  • nathaliearco
    nathaliearco Posts: 1 Member
    I really think you feel like this because you are not eating enough protein... Hunger is just a state of mind. I have been a vegetarian for a year and a half, and I learned over time that when I was a meat eater I used to feel FULL after every meal. Too full. I think you get used to that feeling and we tend to think that if you don’t fell so full, you are still hungry. But after some time thinking I realised that feeling disappears. I don’t feel full anymore but also not hungry after a good meal! Think about it ;)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I really think you feel like this because you are not eating enough protein... Hunger is just a state of mind. I have been a vegetarian for a year and a half, and I learned over time that when I was a meat eater I used to feel FULL after every meal. Too full. I think you get used to that feeling and we tend to think that if you don’t fell so full, you are still hungry. But after some time thinking I realised that feeling disappears. I don’t feel full anymore but also not hungry after a good meal! Think about it ;)

Without knowing how much protein OP is getting or how many calories they're eating, I don't know how we can conclude that hunger is just a state of mind for them. Sometimes hunger is a state of mind. Other times it is a physical response to not getting what our body needs.
  • veganfanatic
    veganfanatic Posts: 32 Member
    edited December 2017
    jessileegt wrote: »
    Hey guys, I’ve been vegetarian for about a month now but i’m having trouble feeling full after eating. What are some good sources I can use to get more protein in a vegetarian diet?

i eat peanuts which have abundant protein

https://veganadvocate.azurewebsites.net/
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    As MFP contributors have reminded me many times, peanuts are higher in fat than protein. Just 7g protein for 30g. Try weighing that out.

But peanuts are highly satiating...for me.

PEANUTS-BLANCHED-RAW-NUTRITION-FACTS.png
  • TravelBear87
    TravelBear87 Posts: 98 Member
    Butter beans and black beans are some of my favourites.

I also use pea protein in my NutriBullet each morning and eat Greek yoghurts and protein bars for snacks
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Protein doesn't make you full, carbs do. Try added in more complex grains and some beans and eating fruit. I usually keep a banana around for when I peckish mid-afternoon.
  • estherdragonbat
    Satiety varies from person to person. I find that while I do eat a lot of carbs, snacking on protein helps me more. Fat doesn't really do much to keep me full (one reason I've never considered going keto).
  • MarvinsFitLife
    MarvinsFitLife Posts: 874 Member
    Hey since you’ve not been a vegetarian from birth and nothing changed in your health that requires you to be a vegetarian that’s a waste diet. The key to having a healthy fit body is EXERCISING daily or 3-4 times a week HIIT the preferable workout. And your diet should only be consisted of cook whole foods limited grease and processed food and make water your new best friend but first you must train your mind to change. Next year this time you will have that fit body plus you don’t look bad right now just need to build lean sexy muscles
  • estherdragonbat
    I went veg at 19. It's far from a "waste" diet, whatever that is. It started as a whim (I honestly think I was trying to find a way to annoy my parents), but along the way, I found I really enjoyed eating that way. Also, a skin condition I had cleared up. It was never diagnosed, and to this day, I don't know if it was eczema, psoriasis, or really bad dandruff (basically a lot of scabs on my scalp), but they went away less than a month after I cut out the meat.

P.S. I exercise daily, but have never done HIIT and likely won't. I'm still getting fit with long walks, a glider, and light dumbbells.
  • R_O_X
    R_O_X Posts: 5 Member
    Don’t forget quinoa! Its a complete protein which is important to vegetarians. I recommend you look up other sources of sources of completely protein. I’ve been vego for about 8 years and didn’t eat enough protein until recently. It caused a bunch of health problems. To avoid this I have legumes or tempeh pretty much everyday and a protein shake on most days. I would also recommend a vitamin B12 supplementation, and get regular blood tests.
  • Vegekiwi
    Vegekiwi Posts: 1 Member
    It's different for everyone some don't need to be mindful of it and others find it a concern, much like those who eat animal flesh may have other deficiencies. I can't add a photo of veg protein sources but a quick Google has some nice charts try healthyhelpings.com
  • yaddakadu
    yaddakadu Posts: 30 Member
    Beans. All the beans.
  • tiffaninghs
    tiffaninghs Posts: 200 Member
    OHammykins wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of the Quorn products - especially if you're new to being veggie and are still working out what to eat. You can get Quorn chicken breasts, mince, sausages etc. which can be plugged in to substitute the meat in you meals before.

As other posters have pointed out - beans, eggs and dairy are excellent sources of protein as well.

Good luck!

i just discovered their products.. addicted!!
  • tiffaninghs
    tiffaninghs Posts: 200 Member
    i get my protein from Quinoa, kale, and chickpeas....ooh and the different nut milks