C25k

Completed my 20 mins run, no walk today. It was rough, and i did not quit.

Replies

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    If I can get through it, so can you.

The first thing I learned about running is that running is hard! :s
  • bluesmanhart6679
    bluesmanhart6679 Posts: 55 Member
    i totally agree! it isnt fun yet, but i am not dying. lol
  • emilyvictoria7
    emilyvictoria7 Posts: 102 Member
    Congratulations!!! I completed C25K early this summer and it was the biggest fitness accomplishment I had ever made. I ended up running a 5K, then building to a 10K in November. Keep it up, my friend!

Also, take good care of your legs and hips - lots of stretching and cool downs!! :smile:
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Excellent job! I did C25K this summer and last week's long run was 11.5km! Just wait and see how far your feet can take you!
  • tammierlewis
    tammierlewis Posts: 564 Member
    I just completed week 2. I will be following you for inspiration in this journey.
  • DanerTee
    DanerTee Posts: 263 Member
    I really want to try C25K but I feel that at 274 lbs I am too fat for it. Has anyone done it at a higher weight?
  • bluesmanhart6679
    bluesmanhart6679 Posts: 55 Member
    i think that you can do it at any size, starting is the toughest part.
  • Styggian
    Styggian Posts: 465 Member
    Good job, think I will try this in the summer :)
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Just stay at it, you got this. I have slacked off a bit but I am still getting about 10 to 15 miles a week in. At my peak I was hitting 30 miles a week and looking for hills to run up. I felt incredibly strong and the weight was melting off. I put 25 pounds back on so I am needing to get my miles up. I went from non runner to a half marathon. I love running now and did four and a half miles this morning. With any luck I am keeping my eye on a full marathon this spring. Remember it only takes about two weeks to get out of the running habit so stay strong!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    I’ve started this program several times over the last several years and have never finished it! Shame on me! I did make it to the first 20 min run but quit shortly after.
  • astronaught
    astronaught Posts: 103 Member
    Congratulations! For me the final run wasn't any harder than the 20 minute run, but a couple in between were tough. I did steal something from cyclist Jens Voigt that helped me complete it. Any time I felt like stopping, I would yell in my head "Shut up Legs!" and kept going.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    I completed C25K in March-2016 I can now run for a solid hour, albeit pretty slowly. It feels terrible when I'm doing it but great later.
  • tammierlewis
    tammierlewis Posts: 564 Member
    Working on week 3. Completed day 1 with no problem. Day 2 tomorrow.
  • monica182
    monica182 Posts: 60 Member
    DanerTee wrote: »
    I really want to try C25K but I feel that at 274 lbs I am too fat for it. Has anyone done it at a higher weight?

I started at 240lbs and will be doing my final run on Friday at around 210lbs. I had tried it before and failed but I think what helped me succeed this time was to do other cardio on the days between the runs. I alternated with elliptical, bike and rower and this helped a lot to increase my fitness more quickly.

A lot of it is mental strength as well. I always made myself run that little bit longer than I was supposed to each time, even if it was only 30 seconds, sometimes a few minutes. Then when my next run came along in my head I was like 'you've got this, you ran almost that distance 2 days ago!'

And go slowwww. I only run at 7.3km/hr. Once I complete it on Friday then I am going to continue with the 30 minute runs but up my speed by .1 each time. Oh and stretch your calves out, it was the only thing that would stop me getting sore shins. So many aches and pains when I first started and now practically none :)
  • rbeasley2911
    rbeasley2911 Posts: 24 Member
    I started week one day one yesterday and I hated it. Which is strange because I can go on the elliptical no problem. It’s something about the treadmill that seems so much harder. I’m going to keep at it though and hope it gets a little easier each day. And I’ll have to remind myself to stretch because my shins were hurting yesterday.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member

I was 275 when I started Jan 1, but I'm a guy and 6'. I got through it in 8 weeks (the Zenn Labs progression). Since then I've done several 5K's (including 18 parkruns) and 10K a few times.

My suggestion is to be sure you can walk for 1/2 hour to an hour before starting the C25K. If you can't walk that long, then work on walking first.

Next suggestion is get good shoes, at a good running store where they can do some kind of a gait analysis. Improper shoes will lead to pain. I had shin splints from the pair I started with and they disappeared once I got shoes that worked for my feet.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member

I was 275 when I started Jan 1, but I'm a guy and 6'. I got through it in 8 weeks (the Zenn Labs progression). Since then I've done several 5K's (including 18 parkruns) and 10K a few times.

My suggestion is to be sure you can walk for 1/2 hour to an hour before starting the C25K. If you can't walk that long, then work on walking first.

Next suggestion is get good shoes, at a good running store where they can do some kind of a gait analysis. Improper shoes will lead to pain. I had shin splints from the pair I started with and they disappeared once I got shoes that worked for my feet.

Don't forget to track your miles that you put on your shoes. Most shoes wear out between 325 and 400 miles. My knees also tell me but a bit too late. My Runtastic app tracks my shoe miles for me.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    rsclause wrote: »

Don't forget to track your miles that you put on your shoes. Most shoes wear out between 325 and 400 miles. My knees also tell me but a bit too late. My Runtastic app tracks my shoe miles for me.

Good point. I'm not sure I tracked from day 1 with the shoes I have now, but Garmin tells me I have 347.2 KM on them. So I'm a bit past halfway on these. Probably swap them at 500 km as I put miles on them before I added them to Garmin.
  • kakaovanilya
    kakaovanilya Posts: 647 Member
    Congratulations. I downloaded the app like 3 weeks ago, people here suggested it when i told i wanted to start running. I liked the app but completed 2 runs only, then i got bored. I want to start again though. I hope i won't give up this time. Good luck!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member

If you can manage a brisk walk for thirty minutes you are ready to try it. If not, start with walking. Keep an eye on your joints since your weight will put extra pressure on them, and back off if you feel pain.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!