Women who eat more than 1800 calories a day !!!!

Replies

• LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    mbdean86 wrote: »
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    I gained about three pounds and am praying it doesn't continue.

What all have you been eating? No offense meant, just curious.

Do you mean the exact foods or do you mean how much? 1800 calories a day going up to about 2100 on off days, workouts or walking 6-7 days a week, try to get 100g protein and my other macros are pretty much falling off into line with that by themselves...it's never exact but always in the ballpark.
  • mbdean86
    mbdean86 Posts: 38 Member
    I just went to 1800 cals and it's a bit hard to get over 70 grams of protein daily. I'll be making batches of fish soon though so maybe that'll help. Are you eating sweets? Or salty stuff? Salt can make you retain water, which'll show as weight gain. Time you weigh also counts.
  • LAWoman72
    I just went to 1800 cals and it's a bit hard to get over 70 grams of protein daily. I'll be making batches of fish soon though so maybe that'll help. Are you eating sweets? Or salty stuff? Salt can make you retain water, which'll show as weight gain. Time you weigh also counts.

I do eat sweet although even then the water should be leveling off at some point...I mean water/fluid moves, you are always getting rid of some even as you're bringing in more.

For protein I find my protein goal hard too, so I eat lots of chicken which seems to really amp the protein count.
  • charlenekapf
    charlenekapf Posts: 309 Member
    How long has it been since you increased calories? SO many things will make your weight fluctuate. I highly doubt you gained weight eating 1800-2100 especially if you're active. If you were sedentary I would think it is possible to be up maybe 1-2 lbs after a month of eating 2100. Constipation, hormones, more carbs/salt will make your weight increase (temporarily).

• LAWoman72
    How long has it been since you increased calories? SO many things will make your weight fluctuate. I highly doubt you gained weight eating 1800-2100 especially if you're active. If you were sedentary I would think it is possible to be up maybe 1-2 lbs after a month of eating 2100. Constipation, hormones, more carbs/salt will make your weight increase (temporarily).

Thank you. It has been two and a half weeks.
  • mbdean86
    mbdean86 Posts: 38 Member

Give it two more weeks. Also, do you check inches? Such as around arms and legs? You could be building a bit of muscle. That, of course, depends on what all you're doing exercise-wise.
  • LAWoman72

Give it two more weeks. Also, do you check inches? Such as around arms and legs? You could be building a bit of muscle. That, of course, depends on what all you're doing exercise-wise.

Yep, and my next measurement will be Tuesday. I am doing curls, squats and the usual suspects with hand held weights, circuit training, mostly to Hasfit on YouTube.
  • LAWoman72
    I will give it a month. Thanks so much for the help!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member

After you started working out? I gained 7 pounds. Took a few weeks to come back off.

I worry less about the number on the scale and more about how I feel, and I feel great when I exercise regularly.
  • LAWoman72
    edited December 2017
    kshama2001 wrote: »

After you started working out? I gained 7 pounds. Took a few weeks to come back off.

I worry less about the number on the scale and more about how I feel, and I feel great when I exercise regularly.

Thank you. I have worked out but much less intensively for two years. I just started the strength training three weeks ago.

I would like not to worry about the scale but with this gain, am teetering on the edge of obese.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Thank you. I have worked out but much less intensively for two years. I just started the strength training three weeks ago.

I would like not to worry about the scale but with this gain, am teetering on the edge of obese.

When I really committed to lifting a few years back my weight spiked up 3 to 4lbs for almost 3 weeks before settling back down. That's very normal when strength training is introduced. Give any new programme a month before you start reducing calories.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    edited December 2017
    Can someone clue me in? I started at the first post. I am on page 42 and going bugeyed. What is the general idea here? Is it that you have to heavy lift in order to eat more? I see this question asked several times so far and don't really see a direct answer. Why should eating more cause weight loss? Thanks.

The idea is not in order to eat more one must specifically lift heavy, but that one must increase activity in general, which can take any form you like.

Since there are many health benefits to strength training, it's always a good idea to include it.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Lifting heavy leads to muscle growth which in turn burns some extra calories per pound of muscle gained. In general though we can eat more if we move more.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Lifting heavy leads to muscle growth which in turn burns some extra calories per pound of muscle gained. In general though we can eat more if we move more.

Lean mass added and calorie burn because of that weight is pretty negligible..
    Women are lucky to gain 1-2 lbs of muscle per month, and that's with optimal training and diet.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,261 Member
    my protein is over 100g most of the time
  • LAWoman72
    I really am an outlier. Sux.

Oh well, there are worse things. I am just so tired of fighting with food. I have been fighting with food since 1978.
  • charlenekapf
    So do you think going back to eating less will help you win the fight? The binge/restrict cycle is what keeps many people stuck.
    I really am an outlier. Sux.

Oh well, there are worse things. I am just so tired of fighting with food. I have been fighting with food since 1978.

• charlenekapf
    jkekhtx9o2tw.png