Scale Stress Syndrome

Replies

• mmissad3
    mmissad3 Posts: 8 Member
    Exactly what I needed today!
  • Floatingpencil
    Floatingpencil Posts: 25 Member
    I've always struggled with the whole 'only weigh yourself once a week' thing that I've always been told. If I weigh myself once a week it builds up in my mind to a big 'reward' thing that I'm working towards, so a gain is devastating. In the past, I've tried to lose weight and it's been fine while the scale went down, but 2-3 weeks of gains or staying the same and I've lost motivation every single time.

I've changed to weighing every day, and logging via Happy Scale so that I've got different trend lines and charts - hoping this will help. There have been a few days with small gains, but those have always gone by the next day or two, and so far I'm finding that the small gains don't bother me, because I haven't waited a week for the 'reward' of stepping on the scale. I've only been doing this for four weeks and have lost 13lbs so far, but I expect a slowdown in the next week or so and fingers crossed using the new method will help cope with that and those times when things aren't happening so quickly!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Just bumping useful posts. Nothing to see here.
  • diannethegeek
    tumblr_m8h8gzGdI81qkmu8l.gif

Bump.
  • Good_Morning_Glory
    Good_Morning_Glory Posts: 226 Member
    Bumping.
  • diannethegeek
    Happy New Year!

pusheen-party.gif
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,486 Member
    Bump
  • MissyCHF
    MissyCHF Posts: 337 Member
    I weigh every morning, I need to, to keep up my momentum. Thank you for keeping this thread alive.

https://screenshots.firefox.com/LLv9cwhRtN6lFcHm/www.myfitnesspal.com
  • MissyCHF
    I weigh every morning, I need to, to keep up my momentum. Thank you for keeping this thread alive.

• MissyCHF

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Thanks for bumping. Great thread
  • sportychic87
    sportychic87 Posts: 214 Member
    I’ve been weighing every day and can confirm that it stresses me out! And that’s with the knowledge that it changes off water weight as well. I’m considering putting my scale up and weighing on weekly basis. If we’re all following our plans then the number should go down.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    My number goes down, then I stop exercising and it goes up. Even when I do everything right, it fluctuates over the course of a week. Then I log the best number for that week.

Thankfully my range of variation is not very great, and I never had much to lose at the beginning anyway.
  • MissyCHF
    MissyCHF wrote: »

Oops! Sorry about that, old age and stupidity.... :(

• diannethegeek
    Don't mind me. Just yet another bump for this useful thread.
  • diannethegeek
    tumblr_onv85eDxOZ1w4o831o1_540.gif

bump
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,486 Member
    Bump
  • Janatki
    Janatki Posts: 730 Member
    Needed this today. Ridiculously upset about my tiny weight gain on my weekly weigh in. Stupid I know, but tell my emotions that 🤪
  • Janatki
    Janatki Posts: 730 Member
    Bump!
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    I love the NSV (non scale victory) thread in Success Stories. There are so many non- scale reasons to lose weight!