Favorite high fiber recipes?

augustremulous
augustremulous Posts: 378 Member
I don't follow a specific diet, but if I did, I guess it would be called a high fiber diet. It's the best thing, more than fat or protein or all organic or whatever, that has a very serious and palpable effect on my overall sense of wellness and satiety, as well as consistently making it easy to control my calories.

I definitely have a few favorites. Lately I've been buying more vegetables than I think I need, and it's been great for my health - I'm always in a race to find ways to eat all the veggies piling up around my home, and ignoring stuff in my pantry. Often I'll take whatever's left in my fridge and just make it into a giant pot of soup.

Today, for example, I made a version of something I make often: white beans soaked overnight, and then cooked in a pressure cooker with onions, half a green cabbage, one whole cauliflower, one sweet potato, and one parsnip, with some spices that change each time I make it - this time I used Adobo seasoning and garlic and thyme. 177 calories and 9 grams of fiber per serving. Other times I've made it I started with browning some artisanal sausage before adding the onions and layering the flavors and other veggies - still relative;y healthy, but fattier and with more protein, of course.

My "cheat" high fiber food is popcorn! I loooove popcorn.

Anyway, I'm getting a little sick of the different variations of my veggie soup, and am looking for some ideas.

What's your favorite high fiber food item/recipe?

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Quesadilla with refried beans, salsa, and cheese made with low carb tortillas. I was light on the beans and high on the cheese and still only 390 calories for 16g of fiber.
  • augustremulous
    wait really? That's a lot of fiber for one serving. Could you post the recipe? A whole cup of beans has about 10 grams of fiber.
  • Francl27
    wait really? That's a lot of fiber for one serving. Could you post the recipe? A whole cup of beans has about 10 grams of fiber.

It's the tortillas, they typically have 7 to 9g of fiber per tortilla.

Couple brands are Tortilla Factory, Tumaro's..
  • augustremulous
    Interesting. I usually buy the corn ones, so I'll check out the low carb ones!
  • CrazyCarbContessa
    CrazyCarbContessa Posts: 21 Member
    Mission Low Carb tortillas are great. I lost 50 lbs in 30 months and the bean and cheese quesadillas with those tortillas were my lunch pretty much everyday!
  • ElvenToad
    ElvenToad Posts: 644 Member
    General Mills Fiber One Original Cereal. A 30g serving is 60 calories with 14g fiber. I mix about 20g into my greek yogurt for a delicious crunchy texture <3

It looks like bird food but it tastes really good!
  • Tiifu
    Tiifu Posts: 8 Member
    I like to make a chocolate "milkshake" that's 285 calories with 14 grams of fiber and 23 grams protein.

I blend all these ingredients in my blender:
    a cup of Oikos Triple Zero Vanilla yogurt
    a frozen banana
    2 tsp Hershey's unsweetened cacao powder
    .5 tsp ground cinnamon
    1 tsp stevia (the stuff that measures cup for cup like sugar)

Its a pretty forgiving recipe. Sometimes I add extra cacao powder and/or cinnamon, and I don't always include stevia. I might add a tbsp of peanut butter, or a whole egg, or a tsp of pure maple syrup, or a 1/4 tsp of some extract...

And it's so so good with whipped cream drizzled with chocolate syrup
  • Francl27
    ElvenToad wrote: »
    General Mills Fiber One Original Cereal. A 30g serving is 60 calories with 14g fiber. I mix about 20g into my greek yogurt for a delicious crunchy texture <3

It looks like bird food but it tastes really good!

Even better if you use Oikos Triple Zero yogurt for extra fiber.

That being said, unless it's fiber from beans, veggies, and fruit, it never fills me up. Go figure.
  • callriter
    callriter Posts: 84 Member
    At B J's they sell Mission high fiber tortillas. 32 grams of carbs but 26 grams of fiber.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    I've been thinking about fiber and ginger root. If you look it up there is supposedly 0 fiber in a teaspoon of ginger. But if you've ever cut one up you know that it is one of the most fibrous foods there is. Now, I know that dietary fiber isn't exactly the same as fibers that you could make rope out of, but I gotta think that there is some relation betwixt the two. So irrespective of what's in the nutrition charts, when I chop up a big hunk of ginger root to go into a stir fry, I think I'm getting a big dose of fiber.
  • veganfanatic
    veganfanatic Posts: 32 Member
    due to prejudice to a vegan no recipes will be shared, or any help on diet or nutrition
  • augustremulous
    OldHobo wrote: »
    I've been thinking about fiber and ginger root. If you look it up there is supposedly 0 fiber in a teaspoon of ginger. But if you've ever cut one up you know that it is one of the most fibrous foods there is. Now, I know that dietary fiber isn't exactly the same as fibers that you could make rope out of, but I gotta think that there is some relation betwixt the two. So irrespective of what's in the nutrition charts, when I chop up a big hunk of ginger root to go into a stir fry, I think I'm getting a big dose of fiber.

"Dietary fiber" includes both soluble fiber, which is digestible and water soluble, and insuluble fiber, which is not digestible and not water soluble. Ginger has insoluble fiber :) Not a particularly huge dose, but we don't need as much insoluble fiber as we do soluble fiber anyway.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Oats sweetened with baobab and raspberries.
    Chick pea and potato curry.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Oats sweetened with baobab and raspberries.
    Chick pea and potato curry.
    Never heard of baobab. How very peculiar they are.
    d3aheaqjvfdp.jpeg
    5fce2d65ugh0.jpg
    0xd25re7nhp7.jpg
  • augustremulous
    Baibab is a trendy food now - I’ve been seeing it on blogs.

From what I’ve read jt’a very rich in both fiber and antioxidants. However every recipe I’ve read calls for about 1/4 teaspoon, so I’m not sure I’m ready to plunk down the cash for a whole bag :)
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    I use 5g a time which is 4g of fibre. It tastes like sherbet.
    I've been using it a few years now in the place of sugar.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Just thought of another one I like.
    Carrot and orange salad.
    Grate two large carrots and squeeze over the juice of half a small orange leave for a few hours.
  • MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    No distinct recipe, but I put flax seed in anything I can.
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Why not toss in olive oil or an olive oil/butter combo (like 2 tablespoons of olive oil, one of buttah), salt, pepper, and other assorted seasonings of your choice and roast them? I looooove roasted veggies. Mrs. Dash seasonings are incredible; I do add salt because I'm fine with my sodium intake but the they're great, esp the onion and herb. When I use Mrs Dash I only add salt, not pepper, because they've already got pepper in them.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    What great ideas! Can't wait to try a few.