Why does this food even exist?

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member

Hmmm. Idea: Carrot Rum Cake!

waste of good carrots. well, and rum i suppose.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Beef pizzles

oh my. okay, first i will mention the time a very nice, very worried-looking, very respectable middle-aged middle eastern man accosted me in the pan-asian supermarket and said 'please, do you know what part of the animal is this word?' and of course i read the label on the styropak thing he was showing to me and of course it said 'beef pizzle'.

and of course i chickened out. i felt bad about not being more helpful because honestly, most of the time i will go out of my way for newer canadians. but not this time; i could not.

then i'll just . . . . leave this here. because this is what the post-encounter googling brought me straight to.

you're all welcome.

• dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    dsboohead wrote: »
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    Lean59man wrote: »
    I love cherries soaked in whiskey and covered in chocolate...though, homemade liquor treats are way better than store bought, some of the store ones aren't half bad.

I'm more baffled by chicken feet and pigs feet...why would anyone want to eat feet, and what the heck is there even to eat on a chickens foot???

Pigs feet date back to slavery in the south when the owners would give the slaves the parts of the animal they wouldn't eat themselves.

A culture of cooking evolved around preparing these things for consumption and still exists today.

and Chitterlings

Are you talkin about my pork rinds???

Chitterlings are intestines. Pork rinds are fried pig skin. Maybe you're thinking crackling.

Yup...you would be right! Anything that poop is encased in is disgusting!
    How would someone in history ever look at intestines filled with poo and say....wow that looks yummy :s
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,196 Member
    edited December 2017
    Lean59man wrote: »
    I love cherries soaked in whiskey and covered in chocolate...though, homemade liquor treats are way better than store bought, some of the store ones aren't half bad.

I'm more baffled by chicken feet and pigs feet...why would anyone want to eat feet, and what the heck is there even to eat on a chickens foot???

Pigs feet date back to slavery in the south when the owners would give the slaves the parts of the animal they wouldn't eat themselves.

A culture of cooking evolved around preparing these things for consumption and still exists today.

and Chitterlings

Are you talkin about my pork rinds???

Chitterlings are intestines. Pork rinds are fried pig skin. Maybe you're thinking crackling.

Yup...you would be right! Anything that poop is encased in is disgusting!
    How would someone in history ever look at intestines filled with poo and say....wow that looks yummy :s

You do know what the words 'natural casing' on packages of bratwursts, Italian sausages, Frankfurters, breakfast links, etc means right? You never eat any of those? Ever? It would make me so sad to never have a bratwurst again. :disappointed:
  • rakabarnett
    rakabarnett Posts: 4 Member
    edited December 2017
    I don't understand cheesecake or carrot cake. And who the heck made ketchup? :s:'(:'(
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,953 Member
    I don't understand cheesecake or carrot cake. And who the heck made ketchup? :s:'(:'(

OMG, you would hate my carrotcake cheesecake then!!
  • rakabarnett
    rakabarnett Posts: 4 Member

OMG, you would hate my carrotcake cheesecake then!!

thats affirmative!!!!
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    cmtigger wrote: »
    Nobody has mentioned buttered popcorn jelly bellies.

Love those!! Only jelly bean I will eat.
  • CircleJerkk
    CircleJerkk Posts: 38 Member
    I love liquor filled candy. I get the really strong ones sent to me from friends in Europe. It's like a shot of vodka right down the gullet
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    edited December 2017
    Vegamite. It is disgusting. I dont understand the purpose of it.

Are you Australian? If so, shame on you. :p

If not, perhaps understandable. You put it on toast/bread. It makes great sandwiches with cheese. It's also delicious on toast with avocado and a poached egg.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,953 Member

If not, perhaps understandable. You put it on toast/bread. It makes great sandwiches with cheese. It's also delicious on toast with avocado and a poached egg.

Also great in place of stock/bouillon cubes in stews and bolognaise
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member

No I've visited on couple of occasions. I had it on toast and thought "My god who would eat this mess!!!!" LOL!!

I also didn't like meat pies. I couldn't get passed that congealed jelly stuff!!!! :s My stomach is turning just thinking about it. LOL
  • astronaught
    astronaught Posts: 103 Member

It is their #2 (sometimes #1) best selling flavor.
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 975 Member

It is their #2 (sometimes #1) best selling flavor.

• JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Carrot cake with raisins and heaps of cream cheese icing... heaven! Even my husband who claims "it's not desert if it's not chocolate" has seen the light and loves it as much or more than me.

But keep the nasty walnuts out of it. Nuts in baked goods is... no.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    JenSD6 wrote: »
    Carrot cake with raisins and heaps of cream cheese icing... heaven! Even my husband who claims "it's not desert if it's not chocolate" has seen the light and loves it as much or more than me.

#twinning
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member

Mmm, ketchup! I don't eat it very often anymore, but that's mostly because it benefits so much from a big heap of fried potatoes underneath, as a sort of condiment for the ketchup. Other sides for the ketchup are just not the same.

When one of our previous US administrations wanted to count it a vegetable (in school lunches), I was against it on principle, but it would totally work for me.

But I went to a school where gravy was literally a school lunch entree (hamburger gravy, pork gravy, turkey gravy, etc. - a few small crumbles or shreds of meat, atop a big heap of instant mashed potatoes . . .

. . . y'know, speaking of foods that have no reason to exist (as an entrée, anyway)). Also, there was lettuce shreds with vinaigrette and pastel mini-marshmallows: Salad.

But I digress.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    JenSD6 wrote: »

Raisins in my carrot cake? No thanks.

Nuts? I usually detest them in cakes/brownies - but in carrot cake is fine. Just not too many of them.