Christmas vs bad carbs

2»

Replies

• chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    @Flybeetle Re drinking: it's obviously personal but I know I'm usually fine when I have a drink or two or three! I try to stick to gin and no calorie tonics so at least no carbs. Christmas day however will be champagne all the way and I think my family would call an ambulance if I didn't! Added to the Lasagna on Christmas day mmmm I think/I know actually, my carbs will be over but I'll get back to it next day and without a hangover, water, water and more water! Enjoy! :)
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    and with the staying hydrated, stay salted...I do extra salt and extra water after drinking, so far I've actually had LESS hangovers, probably because I'm pretty trashed after 2 drinks...can't drink much = not hungover much...

A fave drink is a Margarita with low carb mix and extra salt. I actually use the salt shaker over my drink. Makes the waitress raise her eyebrows, lol. Tastes way better though.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    We traditionally do mimosas on christmas morning...nothing low carb about that...<sigh>...I'm sure I'll have one, and the plan is, only one!!!
  • goatlady6
    goatlady6 Posts: 37 Member
    Me too on the Mimosas @tcunbeliever ! I didn't know that Margaritas came in LC! Unfortunately I bet the restaurant we go to wont have that...they make the BEST Margaritas!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    A lot of bars are starting to have "skinny" drinks, which usually means replacing the sugar with an artificial sweetener which, in addition to lowering overall calories, also tends to reduce overall carbs.
  • Flybeetle
    Flybeetle Posts: 387 Member
    Thanks for the feedback! I was a bit freaked out after my experience with the sugar-hangover and worried that having a few drinks would be even worse!
    I might fill a water bottle with vodka, sparkling water, lime, stevia and SALT, great tip @tcunbeliever. Fingers crossed I'm like you and two drinks will be all I want!
    And lots of water in between, thanks @chinatowninchina. I'm aiming for fun without hangover.

What a huge achievement @goatlady6 ... are you eating high fat? I found that having coconut oil takes away my craving for a drink at the end of the day.
  • goatlady6
    Yes @Flybeetle , I am doing high fat. The only thing that is worrying me right now is that I have "bed spins" when I lay down at night! So weird...I rarely even finish a drink at night. I also have a bit of vertigo when I get up out of bed. I hope it's just my body reacting to less alcohol. I feel GREAT and even energetic (when I can get off the computer) so I certainly don't want to stop this WOE!
  • Flybeetle
    Flybeetle Posts: 387 Member
    edited December 2017
    Hm... bed spins... I wonder what that's about. So good you're feeling great though! I had a drink a night for years and have suddenly been able to stop that about 4 weeks ago since upping my fat intake drastically. I sleep so much better!

Merry Christmas everyone! B) I'm in Australia so we've started already!
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,572 Member
    2t9nty wrote: »
    I managed to keep carbs low for Christmas, etc. I did not meet calorie goals every day, and that was my dietary squishiness. At the cookie and cracker table, you just get get hard salami, cheese and liver pâté and skip the cookies, fudge, etc. This seemed to work pretty well for me.

I should have said in the post that I kept carbs low "last" Christmas.

Tonight was the big extravaganza for this year. I managed to keep the day under 20 carbs (net). It worked OK. Protein has not been so hot for a couple of days, and I have not been on my usual hydration program with the gallon of Crystal Light every day. On the positive side of things with fluid intake, I did not have to get up in the middle of the night to pee last night.

I will be back to my regular eating/hydration program in a couple of days. I figure if I stayed keto through all this, I can get calories back in normal range again. I bumped calories up to "maintenance" level for the family visit. They will get moved back to deficit when I am home.
  • goatlady6
    Now this is a really weird thing...since I have "cheated" pretty much over Christmas. (not Gluten--I have Celiac) but for sure sugar and carbs; the bed spins and vertigo have stopped. What is going on? I will entertain ideas for sure!
    I think I still operated in a calorie deficit, simply because I dont eat if I'm not hungry...getting back to the plan today though!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited December 2017
    goatlady6 wrote: »
    Now this is a really weird thing...since I have "cheated" pretty much over Christmas. (not Gluten--I have Celiac) but for sure sugar and carbs; the bed spins and vertigo have stopped. What is going on? I will entertain ideas for sure!
    I think I still operated in a calorie deficit, simply because I dont eat if I'm not hungry...getting back to the plan today though!

Offering a thought. I recall, the other time you mentioned vertigo and head spins was in a thread where Christmas alcoholic beverages were being discussed and I simply assumed it had to do with the beverages.

Vertigo can be related to dehydration. Keto can be dehydrating especially if sodium intake is not kept up. Eating carbs can cause water retention thus reversing the dehydration. Could it be that you were dehydrated previously?
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    @goatlady6 you mentioned in another post that you had a headache that went away with a carb feed. Those are all symptoms of electrolyte imbalances.... Make sure you are getting enough sodium and magnesium with your water. Very important.
  • Shron123
    Shron123 Posts: 221 Member
    edited December 2017
    Started LC July 3 and was doing well. My calories were 1800 (even higher some days) and still lost close to 40lbs. Did great over Thanksgiving and the first 2 weeks of Dec w several parties and baking marathons w friends but crashed bad the week before and thru Christmas. Feel awful still from the carb overload - bloated, achy, tired. Started back two days ago but still not feeling great. Tonight, New Years, we are hosting a Fondu dinner to celebrate but am sticking to plan with meat, veg and cheese. Very glad I am back on track and hope to feel better soon. Happy New Year to all!!!
  • 123sind
    123sind Posts: 80 Member
    Christmas been and gone and New Year has nearly gone. And with a band new scale and a new year i got no excuses left so i shall be back on to the diet again. Oh and i only ended up graining 4 pounds since beginning December so not to bad but as i said no excuses anymore. HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL