Atkins Support Group

Replies

• dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Quick question- I'm on induction and I just read a list of banned induction foods... And it said any food with added sugar is banned.. So does this mean I shouldn't eat mayonnaise, ham and bacon? My mayonnaise is full fat and has 0.2g of cane sugar per serve. And my ham/bacon has added sucrose...

You can east mayonnaise, .2 is pretty minor. Just count it as a full carb so that you limit it. I'd say that the ham/bacon is also fine, since the sucrose is used as a preservative more than anything. Unless it's honey cooked :)
  • bron_89
    bron_89 Posts: 33
    Thanks!! I just made a big thing of egg salad and was worrying I might not be able to eat it.... haha
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Ooh, egg salad sounds good!
  • Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Hello... quick question for you long time Atkins-ers... I'm in maintenance, so don't really want to lose any more weight, and have been leaning towards a moderate carb diet (100g of carbs, 40%Protein, 35%Fat, 25% Carbs) But I am still getting the sugar cravings occasionally and am still trying to keep under my 1650 cal maintenance allowance so even though i'm not getting the sugar highs and lows I do get these points in my day where i'm feeling so hungry it feels like my stomach is eating itself.

Do you think I would benefit from going totally Atkins? And if so would it work if I started lowering my carbs gradually or would I have to do the full whack and go straight down to 20g, get myself in to ketosis and then work from there? I like the idea of not having to calorie count and I'm loving my lower carb diet (and could cut my 100g to 60 almost right away by getting rid of the cereal!) but i'm not sure what's the best way to go about it considering I don't want to lose weight!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Ooh, egg salad sounds good!
    I use ranch dressing instead of mayo. yum!
  • Hello... quick question for you long time Atkins-ers... I'm in maintenance, so don't really want to lose any more weight, and have been leaning towards a moderate carb diet (100g of carbs, 40%Protein, 35%Fat, 25% Carbs) But I am still getting the sugar cravings occasionally and am still trying to keep under my 1650 cal maintenance allowance so even though i'm not getting the sugar highs and lows I do get these points in my day where i'm feeling so hungry it feels like my stomach is eating itself.

Do you think I would benefit from going totally Atkins? And if so would it work if I started lowering my carbs gradually or would I have to do the full whack and go straight down to 20g, get myself in to ketosis and then work from there? I like the idea of not having to calorie count and I'm loving my lower carb diet (and could cut my 100g to 60 almost right away by getting rid of the cereal!) but i'm not sure what's the best way to go about it considering I don't want to lose weight!

If I were you my first step would be journaling- I'm sure you already keep a food diary here, but journal your emotions or hunger level. Perhaps something you're eating is triggering hunger or cravings. Like some people find yes, they can eat 80g carbs per day, and berries, but melons trigger hunger/cravings. If you don't want to do that, I would just try to cut down a certain amount per week and see if that helps. I don't think the 'slash and burn' of induction is what you want right now. It may feel like a punishment!! Although- unlimited fat sure does keep your stomach from trying to eat itself!!
  • Question about goals on MFP:

I'm really only keeping track of carbs, fat and protein and alternately fiber, potassium and sodium. Most important to me is carbs and that I keep the carb, fat and protein ratio accurate as far as atkin's goes (5%, 30%, 65%, respectively) My problem is that now I'm allowed 30 carbs per day (OWL 2nd rung) but when I adjust the amount of carbs to 30 in my goals, the calorie amount shoots up to like 2400 calories per day. No WAY am I eating that many calories....is there anyway to fix that or should I just let it be and accept all your kudos for being 'under' a limit I know i'll never eat?!!

Also- if you guys are looking for an Atkins online home, www.atkinsdietbulletinboard.com is pretty good. Just be forewarned, they are Atkins purists and DANDR is the forum bible there. They are very helpful, knowledgeable and friendly as well.
  • Biggipooh
    Biggipooh Posts: 350
    I am thinking about, to try Atkins again. I did it years ago and lost about 20 pounds, so I know it works. The only problem was, that I was constipated in the first 2 weeks, while I only ate protein and not even veggies. Are you guys having problems like this and what naturally do you do against it (no pills)? I did drink a lot but didn't help much.
  • Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    If I were you my first step would be journaling- I'm sure you already keep a food diary here, but journal your emotions or hunger level. Perhaps something you're eating is triggering hunger or cravings. Like some people find yes, they can eat 80g carbs per day, and berries, but melons trigger hunger/cravings. If you don't want to do that, I would just try to cut down a certain amount per week and see if that helps. I don't think the 'slash and burn' of induction is what you want right now. It may feel like a punishment!! Although- unlimited fat sure does keep your stomach from trying to eat itself!!

Thank you for that! Very helpful! I think I will just lower my carbs to about 60-80 and see how I go. I was worried that my fat % is creeping up but having scanned this post it seems that's a good thing and will probably be better in the long run and help curb those cravings! I've done Atkins before and enjoyed the fact that I could eat as much as I wanted (which did eventually level out at a lower calorie intake) for those times when I really was ravenous, where as now i'm stopping myself because it's not within my calorie goal.
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    I am thinking about, to try Atkins again. I did it years ago and lost about 20 pounds, so I know it works. The only problem was, that I was constipated in the first 2 weeks, while I only ate protein and not even veggies. Are you guys having problems like this and what naturally do you do against it (no pills)? I did drink a lot but didn't help much.

Just get your veggies in. Fiber does not count towards your overall net carbs (Total carbs - Fiber).
  • cobylea
    cobylea Posts: 194 Member

Most important to me is carbs and that I keep the carb, fat and protein ratio accurate as far as atkin's goes (5%, 30%, 65%, respectively)

Is this ratio for induction as well? I have pretty much quit tracking my food on here and just keep track of my net carbs with a pen and paper.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    During induction, most of your 20 grams of carbs each day should be coming from veggies. The fiber in them will help you, too. Also, try the Muffin in Minute mentioned earlier in this thread. It's about 3 net carbs and flax meal works great as a way to keep your digestive system moving.
  • SueInAz
    Question about goals on MFP:

I'm really only keeping track of carbs, fat and protein and alternately fiber, potassium and sodium. Most important to me is carbs and that I keep the carb, fat and protein ratio accurate as far as atkin's goes (5%, 30%, 65%, respectively) My problem is that now I'm allowed 30 carbs per day (OWL 2nd rung) but when I adjust the amount of carbs to 30 in my goals, the calorie amount shoots up to like 2400 calories per day.
    Odd. I've been able to play around with the percentage of carbs and it didn't change my calorie goals at all, it just changed the percentage of the other macronutrients to compensate. I adjusted it to fit the grams of carbs I was shooting for at the time and while it wasn't always a perfect fit, I just watched the actual number of carbs - fiber and didn't worry so much about the rest.
  • Question about goals on MFP:

I'm really only keeping track of carbs, fat and protein and alternately fiber, potassium and sodium. Most important to me is carbs and that I keep the carb, fat and protein ratio accurate as far as atkin's goes (5%, 30%, 65%, respectively) My problem is that now I'm allowed 30 carbs per day (OWL 2nd rung) but when I adjust the amount of carbs to 30 in my goals, the calorie amount shoots up to like 2400 calories per day.
    Odd. I've been able to play around with the percentage of carbs and it didn't change my calorie goals at all, it just changed the percentage of the other macronutrients to compensate. I adjusted it to fit the grams of carbs I was shooting for at the time and while it wasn't always a perfect fit, I just watched the actual number of carbs - fiber and didn't worry so much about the rest.
    ...but I didn't want to change the ratio of the carbs....it's supposed to be just 5%...I was changing the #of grams of carbs....

• Most important to me is carbs and that I keep the carb, fat and protein ratio accurate as far as atkin's goes (5%, 30%, 65%, respectively)

Is this ratio for induction as well? I have pretty much quit tracking my food on here and just keep track of my net carbs with a pen and paper.

I believe that's still the ratio, but carbs of couse is paramount. The ratios are to make sure you're not ingesting too (!) much protein. Fat should be a significant amount of your calories.
  • I am thinking about, to try Atkins again. I did it years ago and lost about 20 pounds, so I know it works. The only problem was, that I was constipated in the first 2 weeks, while I only ate protein and not even veggies. Are you guys having problems like this and what naturally do you do against it (no pills)? I did drink a lot but didn't help much.

If you are serious about giving it a whirl, I suggest you grab the book for it to make sure you're doing it 'right' and not just someone's adopted version....that way you can know all the ends and outs, suggestions for if you get stuck, etc. Instructions are very important, and of course we'd all be here to help as much as possible. It just scares me that you tried it without any veggies, which is the total opposite of what you should do...
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Most important to me is carbs and that I keep the carb, fat and protein ratio accurate as far as atkin's goes (5%, 30%, 65%, respectively)
    If this ratio is working for you, perfect. Don't change a thing. But for some, too much protein can knock us out of ketosis because the body processes the excess protein like carbs. For people like that, it's recommended not to go above 40% protein.
  • SueInAz
    ...but I didn't want to change the ratio of the carbs....it's supposed to be just 5%...I was changing the #of grams of carbs....
    That's probably the issue. If you leave the percentage the same, but change the number of carbs, MFP is going to change the calories so that the number you enter for carbs is 5% of the total calories. You're better off just using the percentage as a guideline. You can see exactly how many grams of carbs each day you ate, and how many grams of fiber and subtract them to get your net carbs. Besides, I know I eat a different amount of fiber every day, there's no way I'm going to ever be able to get that number of carbs to match exactly when the fiber factors in, too.
  • Most important to me is carbs and that I keep the carb, fat and protein ratio accurate as far as atkin's goes (5%, 30%, 65%, respectively)
    If this ratio is working for you, perfect. Don't change a thing. But for some, too much protein can knock us out of ketosis because the body processes the excess protein like carbs. For people like that, it's recommended not to go above 40% protein.

Oops, I flip flopped it. The 30% IS for protein, 65% fat.... sorry.
  • cobylea
    cobylea Posts: 194 Member
    If I'm still in induction and have an off day where I eat more than 20g of carbs and or foods with sugar am I going to be out of ketosis and have to start all over again? It hasn't happened yet but I want to have my information before hand, just be sure.