Les Mills Body Pump.

Hello guys! This is my very first post on myfitnesspal and I was just wondering if anyone takes Les Mills Body Pump. I started going about a month ago and I usually go about two times per week. The first time I went I was completely sore, I couldnt even walk. But now I noticed that I get less and less sore each time. I just want to know if this workout has worked for you and if any of you have seen some decent results?? I also take a spinning class 2-3 times a week.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    "worked" in what way? What "decent results" are you wanting to see?
  • crysgabriela
    crysgabriela Posts: 34 Member
    Hey, I want to lose about 20 pounds and I want to tone and gain muscle all over. And "worked" as in weight loss & muscle gain.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    cgcampan wrote: »
    The first time I went I was completely sore, I couldnt even walk. But now I noticed that I get less and less sore each time.

Totally normal. Soreness isn't a good indicator of progress. :+1:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    cgcampan wrote: »
    Hey, I want to lose about 20 pounds and I want to tone and gain muscle all over. And "worked" as in weight loss & muscle gain.

For me, it was way too much volume and caused my tendinitis to flare up but i enjoyed the workouts.

It would probably be hard to gain muscle as its a low weight high rep (endurance) workout. But it should help with weight loss if it helps get you in a deficit and keeps you motivated.
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Yes it helped me! I do it at least twice a week, mixed in with the other Les Mills classes. Make sure you gradually keep increasing your weights and you will definitely get results.
  • tess5036
    tess5036 Posts: 942 Member
    I do this,and Les Mills Body Combat, and love them. It helps I getting fit, tinning, and is a good calorie burn as well, so yes it can help as part of weight loss program, as long as you also have the calorie deficit.
  • MarylandRose
    MarylandRose Posts: 239 Member
    I go three times/week, and have been for over a year. At my gym, I'm still a rookie - I have classmates that have been coming for more than a decade.
    BP definitely helped me with my weight loss:
    -it's a class I love, so I keep coming back, even though that means getting up at 4:40 am
    -it's a class I enjoy, so I work hard, which means I burn calories, which means I achieve a caloric deficit
    -I was starting at about 0 on the "0 to muscles" scale, so I have seen a physical difference, and I can feel a difference physically
    -it helped me increase my confidence at the gym, and I've now added traditional strength training to my gym mix

The BP classes at my gym feature a wide range of ages and fitness levels, and there are a couple of incredibly fit folks who lift big in the weight room, and use BP as cardio and high volume work.

I am much less sore than I was when I started...these days I really only get sore if I take a full week off (ie, vacation) and then come back. If I go up in weight on one track, I might be a little sore, but nothing has been as bad as a return from time off. Like Cherimoose said, soreness alone isn't a progress indicator - just like sweat isn't an indicator of how hard you're working in the moment.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    yes it will give you results. Any time you get up and active you will get healthier and feel better and get your muscles stimulated. Just go and have a good time .
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    I go to body pump often. I like it a lot because I get bored with weights and when I do the class I never walk away and quit like I do when left on my own. Everyone I know who has gone has found it to be a great workout. Definitely try it!
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Thinking of adding in some Body Pump classes to shake things up, I currently do Zumba along with some squats (ATG squats with bar/weights). I tried to do Stronglifts but quickly got bored, but I do enjoy the squats. I understand that Body Pump won't add much measurable muscle gain. However when combined with adequate protein in diet will the weights/repetition help preserve muscle mass while eating in a deficit, in conjunction with Zumba and heavy squats? (Minimize muscle loss).

I'm weak in my upper body and my upper arms are not as toned as I'd like, as I lose the last few pounds I'd like to keep what muscle I have for sure!