Depression and Weight Loss

1222324252628»

Replies

• shelleygold
    shelleygold Posts: 178 Member
    Hi Everyone,
    May 1st here in Australia and as good a day as any to rethink and restart my health program. I prefer to call it a program rather than an effort to lose weight because clearly that hasn't worked over the past 2 years. I have been thinking about how it may just be possible that how we treat our bodies is a reflection of what we think about ourselves. If we have felt the true difficulties and challenges of a hard life with all it demands of us, it may be the case that we feel we can let ourselves go in terms of self-care. Ultimately, what we put into our bodies either promotes our health or subtracts from it. We may ignore basic scientific principles of good and sound nutrition and escape into the world of denial and not everyone in Egypt lives in denial. Today, I stepped on the dreaded scales and rather than feel awful and sad, I thanked my body for having to work so hard to carry all of my weight (105kg) and I have decided to offer my body an alternative. The challenge to be healthy and fit and this will be achieved by making great choices. Of course this requires mindfulness, increased discipline, coming here more often and discuss the struggles including the impulses and and urges. My body seemed to relax when I offered it a choice to become healthy and I would like to look after this silent but fragile friend which needs to carry me into my senior years. Maybe the beginning of a beautiful relationship. One I have never had before. Join me in the journey?

Shel
  • goalreacher998
    goalreacher998 Posts: 22 Member
    I gained about 20 pounds just from antidepressants. To make matters worse, it was one of the ones that aren't as likely to make you gain weight. Lucky me lol.
    I stopped taking them completely and now it's pretty hard to get back into the swing of things. Some days I feel too sad and tired to go to the gym. I'm crossing my fingers that losing the weight will maybe improve my mood so the antidepressants won't be needed?
  • MotivatedMom17
    MotivatedMom17 Posts: 9 Member
    I have chronic major depression, bipolar 2, and anxiety. Exercise has helped me monumentally!
  • shelleygold
    Hey MM, Sounds like you are managing a heavy load. Glad to see you are finding exercise so rewarding. I find that establishing and maintaining a set routine (which includes exercise) is my best way to manage both mood and weight. I just keep getting off track. Hope this time will be different. Day 3 and I have lost 3 KG although I am guessing some of that is water. Oh well, Ill take it no matter. It's a step in the right direction.
  • shelleygold
    Ok....Now I truly understand why New Years Resolutions become obsolete after January 2nd. Yes. I was passing back and forth between KFC and McDonalds yesterday and it was if my mind was turned off and my body on autopilot. It was close folks. Fortunately, I did not give myself enough time to follow this dissociated tendency as I had a tight schedule with work but I am fairly sure that the behavioural pattern may have easily won out against any good intention. Thank goodness I can write to you today and say that I bothered to think about the risk of loosing my focus and my first hypnosis session I will record today will be about awareness and staying alert. I am not sure us "overeaters" respond the same way to hunger signals or even food cues in our environment. For me, the idea seems to sprout out of "nowhere" and the next thing I know I am moving directly in the line of fire where I can grab whatever food is easiest, fastest and least nutritious. Welcome Mt Everest. Despite my profession, and regardless of my 30 years doing it, I feel like I am in preschool when it comes to developing the strategies of self-control, and emotional regulation around eating. I will have to achieve this one step at a time. I am going to be transparent and honest about the experience and learn about myself as the journey continues. (Oh yes, I have lost 2 kg) Thanks for listening.
    Shel
  • shelleygold
    Hey group,
    Wondered if anyone is still interested in this thread?
  • Rickster1967
    Rickster1967 Posts: 485 Member
    I battled severe mental health issues for the last decade. One of the symptoms was a terrible eating disorder.

Other than exercise and logging these supplements really helped my mood.

Transdermal magnesium supplementation, 'Mag Oil'

Vitamin D from supps but also getting lots of fresh air

Mucus Puriens a source of the amino acid L-dopa, a precursor to dopamine.

Well worth doing your own research on these. Magnesium and Vitamin D deficiency are implicated in depression very often so you might get benefit from a strong dose. 500mg May and 20000iu vit D daily is mine.

And of course low dopamine is common in depression so getting more L-dopa can help.

All pretty cheap supps. I've heard people had success with 5-HTP too but I have not tried it.

Reducing the frequency with which you check e-mail and social media, plus switching off all devices a good 2 hours before bed also been shown to raise dopamine.

I've been off my meds for a few months, depression gone but still got some other mental health issues. Good luck.
  • Dani13791
    Dani13791 Posts: 6 Member
    I know what you mean with this post!

I went through a weight loss process losing 6 stones or more, and then mental illness hit me like a ton of bricks! Which led to me gaining some weight.

I'm now getting better though, and part of an online community with like minded people, and running my own virtual boot camp ☺

There is light at the end of the tunnel, it's just forcing yourself to find it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    I thought this could use a bump. My mental health was certainly negatively affected by the pandemic. I'm receiving therapy via tele-health and love it.
  • gillexplores
    gillexplores Posts: 151 Member
    @kshama2001 I agree! I know it's an incredibly old post, but perhaps more relevant than ever. I have been doing therapy for years (over video during Covid) and I just started anti-depressant/anxiety meds in December, which have been very helpful to get me to a more stable place, and now I can focus on all of the things that they tell you to do to help with depression (that you're not able to do when you're depressed), like exercise, eat properly, meditate, have a regular sleep schedule, etc. All things that also really affect physical health, in addition to mental health.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    @kshama2001 I agree! I know it's an incredibly old post, but perhaps more relevant than ever. I have been doing therapy for years (over video during Covid) and I just started anti-depressant/anxiety meds in December, which have been very helpful to get me to a more stable place, and now I can focus on all of the things that they tell you to do to help with depression (that you're not able to do when you're depressed), like exercise, eat properly, meditate, have a regular sleep schedule, etc. All things that also really affect physical health, in addition to mental health.

Yes, my AD Wellbutrin is a little speedy which helps get me moving.

I'm worse in dreary winter weather. I know I'll feel better after exercising, but I struggle to find the motivation. Fortunately, I've learned that habits and discipline are more important than motivation. I forced myself out for a walk today and ended up spending 70 minutes clearing a new trail around a fallen tree and feel so much better now.

Some days I have to force myself to make my bed or take a shower, but this generally leads to a positive virtuous cycle, so I'm glad I do. (I'm ok with not making my bed if I'm super busy, but I don't like to let it go due to depression.)

Here's something on motivation/discipline. Warning: language is rough.

http://www.wisdomination.com/screw-motivation-what-you-need-is-discipline/
  • marialouis399
    marialouis399 Posts: 4 Member
    edited June 2021
    Hi. I am Maria louis and today topic is very interesting and very Common is therapy of depression
    Depression is classified as a mood disorder. It may be described as feelings of sadness, loss, or anger that interfere with a person’s everyday activities
    [url=" http://www.healthline.com/health/depression/expressive-therapy#Overview1https://"]Expressive Therapy For Depression[/url]
  • marialouis399
    marialouis399 Posts: 4 Member
    Hi. I am Maria louis and today topic is very interesting and very Common is therapy of depression
    Depression is classified as a mood disorder. It may be described as feelings of sadness, loss, or anger that interfere with a person’s everyday activities
    Expressive Therapy For Depression healthline.com/health/depression/expressive-therapy#Overview1
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    edited June 2021
    I often wonder how people who posted in this thread are doing.

@shellygold -- are you still on MFP? (I thought I might have recognized you recently with a different name.) @68myra? Anybody else?

Hugs...