Exercises to loss weight

Sweetiepeajones
Sweetiepeajones Posts: 8 Member
edited December 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
I have heard a lot about how good weight training is for weight loss. Can you lose weight with just that or do you have to add cardio in it too? Or what do you guys do to lose weight?

Replies

• jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    You don’t need either.

The only way to lose weight is through a caloric deficit. How you create that is totally up to you. Whether it’s through eating less or by exercising.

I would recommend looking at one of the beginners threads.
    Also search these terms:
    Caloric surplus/deficit
    CICO
    TDEE
    Maintenance calories
    Bodyfat percentage

That would be a good start. More people will post good advice. I would advice doing research about how weightloss truly works, a good exercise regime depending on your goals. Starting strength, strong curves, etc.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Calorie deficit for weight loss......take in fewer calories than your body uses.

It's generally far easier to eat less to maintain a calorie deficit. However, if you are trying to lose weight from exercise alone, then do cardio....just cardio, as strength training isn't a big calorie burner. You would still want to keep an eye on calorie intake to make sure you are in a deficit.

Weight training is good DURING weight loss. This has nothing to do with calorie burn or calorie deficit. Weight training (adequate protein, and adequate calories) helps encourage your body to maintain existing lean muscle mass. It's good DURING weight loss because it helps shape your weight loss results.

Exercise is great for fitness and health. It's not a very effective weight loss tool.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Lots of people lose weight without exercise. The way MFP is set up, you eat your exercise calories back so it doesn't really help with fat loss. Lifting weights can make you look better regardless of what the scale says, though.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Exercise can however either increase your deficit or give you more headroom for foods you like. For me it's wine. I don't know if it helps but I feel like I become more efficient at boosting my metabolism when I exercise a lot. For burning calories I say cardio is king.
  • NorthCascades
    Oh, yeah, and somebody is going to tell you what exercise is and isn't supposed to be for. Truth is you can exercise for any reason you like including weight loss. But let's get this out of the way right up front: cardio is really for fun and for transportation, not for weight loss. There, now we can move on from that.
  • JAYxMSxPES
    JAYxMSxPES Posts: 193 Member
    edited December 2017
    I have heard a lot about how good weight training is for weight loss. Can you lose weight with just that or do you have to add cardio in it too? Or what do you guys do to lose weight?

Think of it this way, exercise can help augment weight-loss but the real-key is the nutrition plan you follow to accommodate healthy weight loss. As far as exercise is concerned, if you have certain performance goals (strength, endurance, etc.) then choose a form of exercise that supports those goals. If weight-loss is your primary goal, then just find something that is enjoyable that you can maintain on a consistent basis and can improve your quality of life.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Oh, yeah, and somebody is going to tell you what exercise is and isn't supposed to be for. Truth is you can exercise for any reason you like including weight loss. But let's get this out of the way right up front: cardio is really for fun and for transportation, not for weight loss. There, now we can move on from that.

But I actually do think cardio is fun and you can't deny that it is very quick way to burn, what were we talking about?, oh yeah, calories. Whether they are inbound or outbound it's alway about calories.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    I think the reason some people say weight training is best for weight loss is because they are confusing weight loss with weight management. Weight training does not burn a lot of calories and isn’t likely to help you lose much weight on its own. A calorie deficit is needed for weight loss so burn more and eat less.

That said, a body with higher muscle mass burns more at rest than a body with less muscle. So for long term weight management adding muscle allows you to eat more. Adding muscle does increase your metabolism speed. A lot of people who lose weight without any strength training to maintain or build muscle could actually end up with a slower metabolism as a result.
  • NorthCascades
    rsclause wrote: »

But I actually do think cardio is fun and you can't deny that it is very quick way to burn, what were we talking about?, oh yeah, calories. Whether they are inbound or outbound it's alway about calories.

I can't deny it because it's true. And cardio really is fun. Swimming in lakes, riding a bike, running on a trail, skiing up and down a hill, hiking in beautiful scenery, even having sex - these are all forms of cardiovascular exercise.