Santa Sprint! Week 4 (12/22-12/31)

baconslave
baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member

Repost o' the challenge blurb :wink:
baconslave wrote: »
There's a statistic that's always going around that something like 25% of people will gain weight between Halloween and New Year's. It's Holiday season. We're busy with work, school, get-togethers, and shopping. It's easy to just say to heck with it and cave. And wake up on New Year's Day and looking in the mirror, unhappy with what extra weight we've gained. It happens to the best of us.

Last month we focused on the basics in an effort to avoid gaining during a hectic time of year. There's lots of treats around. But many of us managed to hit our goals and not gain. Some of us even lost a few pounds, or gained insight into our own patterns when faced with pressure.

Planning ahead and keeping an eye on the basics are two of the most important focal points if we want to keep on the up and up in the face of all the junk and goodies rampant this time of year.

This month we are again going to focus on the low-carb basics. Again. :lol: They really are so important to success. And keeping tabs on them reinforces good habits that will serve us through our weight loss journeys and beyond into Maintenance Land.

We are going hardcore and going to sprint for 31 days! We'll be Nose-to-the-grindstone, pre-planning, LC bada$$es!
x69c43gbdy8r.jpg

Some people choose to handle this time of year completely on-plan, supplementing low-carb recipes for all our bad-ol' favorites.

This may not be realistic for some. After all, there are many temptations in our faces this month. And a lot of celebrations. What I have done in the past was pick 1 or 2 events that were most important, enjoy them that day, and the next day was immediately back on track. No guilt, but no excuses. Every other time, I planned ahead. Eat before going to a carby event or bring plan-approved goodies. I actually lost weight in December of 2014. It can be done. Every other year I have easily maintained.

You can pick either strategy, but in this challenge monitoring our plan Basics and becoming a Master Planner are what makes the difference.

Consistency + Persistence + Time = Success

I really can't parrot that cliché formula enough. Because it's true.

Any low-carb plan is welcome. Just post your monthly goals and/or beginning weight, or if you are just planning to maintain through the month, or have NSVs to achieve, check-in daily or weekly with how well you did.

The Basics:
Planning ahead!!!
Staying under carbs
Staying under calories
Logging and measuring
Getting in exercise/movement if that's one of your goals
Keeping an eye on electrolyte levels
Getting enough water
Planning ahead!!! Oh, wait. I said that already? Yes, I frickin' did. Because this is the holidays! You must!

This thread will be stickied to the top of the Group, with links inside to the weekly threads. So if the weekly thread gets buried in our busy little group, you'll be able to easily find in in the sticky.

Share recipes, problems, thoughts.
So tie your sneakers tightly folks and prepare to own the Santa Sprint!
We are DETERMINED to maintain, and maybe even lose, this year.
We are DETERMINED to not let December run rough-shod over us, right?
We CAN do this.

To give you and idea of possible check-in entries here's mine:
Monthly Goals:
To work on losing that rotten, stinking, evil, no-good, complete PITA 5lbs I've been trying to get rid of and to keep up with my exercising despite all the holiday interruptions.

Friday,12/1:

Water: Yep. animated-smileys-christmas-042.gif
Electrolytes Good: animated-smileys-christmas-042.gif
Logged Food: animated-smileys-christmas-042.gif
Exercise as Planned: Strength training animated-smileys-christmas-042.gif
At or Under Carb Level: animated-smileys-christmas-042.gif
At or Under Calorie Limit: Yes! animated-smileys-christmas-042.gif
Planned Day Ahead: Yes! animated-smileys-christmas-042.gif
7/7

Weekly Trees of Christmas Awesomeness Collected:
2xam6brugx9d.gif2xam6brugx9d.gif2xam6brugx9d.gif2xam6brugx9d.gif2xam6brugx9d.gif2xam6brugx9d.gif2xam6brugx9d.gif

DO THA THING! :wink:

Replies

• baconslave
    This thread goes through the end of the month.
    animated-smileys-christmas-002.gifThe Carbpocalypse is upon us! Prepare! animated-smileys-christmas-044.gif

• Flybeetle
    Flybeetle Posts: 387 Member
    edited December 2017
    Haha, Carbpocalypse B)
    Yes, prepare!
    Had to organise two kids birthday parties in one week and Xmas hasn't even started. My only downfalls were during the baking of cakes, having batter on my hands, sweets all around... the parties themselves I prepare for by having a high fat/ protein meal beforehand. Crazy how I can then pass on the cake. Ode to fat! ;)
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited December 2017
    12/22/17: Easy peasy feel good Morning Yoga with Adriene. 36 minutes.
  • kpk54
    12/23: 3 mile walk. Needed some molasses so walked to the grocery store. ~50 minutes.
  • baconslave
    bumper
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Down for the count.
    Had a couple good keto weeks this month, but overall....same as the past 18 months. Holding my own, but no progress towards the desired 20 pound reloss.
    Tomorrow I jump-start the January plan.
    Very, very relieved to see this particular season and this particular year pass on by.
    Next year can only be better...knock on wood.
  • kpk54
    Ah Ha! No wonder I couldn't find my other posts. Wrong thread. Thanks @baconslave for making this a little more goof proof. :)

12/24: kettlebells
    12/25: aerobics
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Doing good. Food is on point. Planning on the gym tomorrow but that entails leaving at 4am so I best get to bed!
  • Cadori
    Cadori wrote: »
    Doing good. Food is on point. Planning on the gym tomorrow but that entails leaving at 4am so I best get to bed!

And I did it!
  • baconslave
    Ate like a starving pig. It's back to business this morning. :smile:
  • bozmo
    bozmo Posts: 177 Member
    back at "fat camp" today. Although I'll have a bit of a cheat for dinner with leftovers. Gained a little, but probably water weight. My next weigh in is Jan 5. I might have some wine on new years, but otherwise strict low carb until then.
  • baconslave
    Doing the thing. Got a great workout in yesterday. Looking forward to an awesome one today. All indoors cuz winter. :confounded:
  • Cadori
    Got to the gym again this morning. #killingit #yestwodaysinarowiskillingit
  • baconslave
    Got to the gym again this morning. #killingit #yestwodaysinarowiskillingit

Kickin' A and taking names. :wink:
  • kpk54
    12/26 stationary recumbent
    12/27 same. Found some spin HIIT on YouTube.
    Haven't missed a day yet. 3 to go.
  • Cadori
    Was ordered by the boss to work from home today, so no gym for me (gym is an hour from home/near work). Will do some stuff here though.
  • baconslave
    My inlaws royally pissed me off yesterday and screwed around with my kids' happiness. Therefore, I was in a rage. So I did a 65min video yoga/pilates flow. Burned 342 cal according to the Fitbit, but felt quite chill afterward. I'm still mad today though, so the strength training shall be crushed like the Hulk crushes a toilet, y'all!!! SQUAT! :rage:
  • Cadori
    My inlaws royally pissed me off yesterday and screwed around with my kids' happiness. Therefore, I was in a rage. So I did a 65min video yoga/pilates flow. Burned 342 cal according to the Fitbit, but felt quite chill afterward. I'm still mad today though, so the strength training shall be crushed like the Hulk crushes a toilet, y'all!!! SQUAT! :rage:

I'm sorry. People can be as dumb as they want, but if it's going to hurt my kids? Watch out!
  • baconslave

I'm sorry. People can be as dumb as they want, but if it's going to hurt my kids? Watch out!

EXACTLY.
    It's a good thing I won't be seeing them until the weekend. I might not be cooled off enough though.
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Just took my son home. 5 hours on the road. He made the season happy for me this year. But now that he's gone for awhile.. I'm hoping to kick it into high gear with the body overhaul. So far today is looking to be very close to plan, and hopefully, I'll be able to pull it off even with the travel challenges.
    I've got some ideas for keeping busy for the next few days so that I keep my mind off the last of the holiday challenges.
    So glad this is the last one for awhile. Couple more weeks til work starts back up, and then I'm predicting smooth sailing-for a few months-in all areas of life! Lol.
    In an ideal world, it would work out just this way, and I sure hope it does.