Morbidly obese...need to change or life at risk, literally

Replies

• Kastastrophie
    Kastastrophie Posts: 2,918 Member
    Start today! eat at a caloric deficit and move your body - it takes a lot of hard work, determination, time and effort put in. It isn't something that happens over night. Everyone wants an overnight remedy however that is obviously highly unrealistic.
  • lancenuovo
    lancenuovo Posts: 517 Member
    so stinking true. feels like such a big hole I have dug now, just almost easier to rationalize with a year of work ahead of me, one day doesnt matter, you know? self sabatoge
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Most of the stuff about you that will change is between your ears. Your thoughts will change. Just get started logging and see how easy that is.

Here's the USDA food list:
    https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list

Here's how to convert units such as cups to units such as grams:
    https://www.convertunits.com/

Here's an easy to understand lifting plan:
    https://stronglifts.com/5x5/

There are other lifting plans just as effective.
  • ekim2016
    ekim2016 Posts: 1,199 Member
    edited December 2017
    remember all those pounds did not appear over night.... it was months and years of over eating more than you burned. You can reverse this and get down to 200 just stay under your caloric goal.. eating whatever you wish.
  • lancenuovo
    sounds good. sounds ambitious...i hope so
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Some insight in to short-term reward and why it is so attractive. You are not alone.

https://www.princeton.edu/pr/news/04/q4/1014-brain.htm
  • lancenuovo
    thank you . so true. so true.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    edited December 2017
    Also, just think if you could lose the weight by an attainable time, say, your 51sy birthday, how proud you will be. Don’t get to your 51st birthday and still be in the same boat. You will regret it and wished you had started now.

ETA: I made this change over a year ago and have lost 52 pounds. I am so thankful to myself and proud of myself for what I’ve done. The thought of me not following through a year ago and still being where I was back then truly haunts me.
  • GymTennis
    GymTennis Posts: 133 Member
    If you fail using mfp it only tells me you don't understand how it works. Plain and simple. It is impossible not to achieve your goals using mfp. It is super simple.
  • Rickster1967
    Rickster1967 Posts: 485 Member
    Your calorie target is below your BMR brother, that's not good. My BMR is 1960 and I'm older and smaller than you.

You will need more like 2100 minimum
  • lancenuovo
    i have 13 months till 50. hope not too late to turn things around. I feel good and plan an being active always. cant imagine not being; plus, don't want my kids friends snickering. i remember people like that when I was a kid. seriously
  • Rickster1967
    Rickster1967 Posts: 485 Member
    Also your fat grams looks low to me. 30% calories from fat is good

but that is still challenging on 2100 cals. I switched a load of stuff to be able to eat enough food to be satisfied

For instance, beef has relatively high fat content which means you can't eat much of it without busting your calorie target

Solution: leaner protein sources like white fish (cod etc), chicken breast, venison, rabbit.

Eating lean meats like those will mean you get to eat some eggs, use butter or olive oil in cooking, have some chocolate or PB. See?

Good luck man, I really do understand. i was there July 21st. Fat sick and nearly dead.

New man now
  • lancenuovo
    i'll try guys. 2100 is a good goal? and you said 30% fats (olive oil, butter, peanut butter). i have a ton to learn. are eggs fats, or protein, and is the old idea of no more than 4 a week right?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Some insight in to short-term reward and why it is so attractive. You are not alone.

https://www.princeton.edu/pr/news/04/q4/1014-brain.htm
    Thank you for this. I'm always interested in learning about how my brain works, and why. Articles like this actually provide suggestions on how to improve quality of life.
  • lancenuovo
    quickly. sorry to hold everyone hostage. perhaps my naiveness will make you all feel the smartest ever!

1) can i lose weight at 2100 cals a day
    2) if 30% fat; then what other macros?

i know they say calories are king, but if macros can give extra nudges, I am in!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    i'll try guys. 2100 is a good goal? and you said 30% fats (olive oil, butter, peanut butter). i have a ton to learn. are eggs fats, or protein, and is the old idea of no more than 4 a week right?
    2100 is around what MFP gives you. You will have to work hard to build trust and confidence and judgement (it's an ongoing process).

Fat is fat, eggs are a mix of fat and protein. Use your food diary, it will show you the makeup of each individual food. Eat as many eggs as you like. This means that you don't eat eggs to avoid eating food you like, but eat eggs if you like eggs.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member

2100 sounds more reasonable than your first goal. Foods usually consist of a mixture of carbs, fats, and proteins. Eggs are fat and protein mostly.

I would focus only on the calories to get you started. I don’t focus on macros at all. That becomes more important much further in your journey, for example those who are trying to recomp
  • lancenuovo
    i love eggs. so don't need to worry about egg white liquids? i can just do eggs? i really do like them. at 2100 any suggestion on macros? trusting experience an expertise
  • GymTennis
    GymTennis Posts: 133 Member

Exactly my point... You have a lot to learn since you ask a questions like this... You simply don't understand the way mfp works, hence your failure the first time. You never really used it, you just thought you did.

Get started by learning how to lose weight by building a caloric deficit, which is the core of mpf, or any successful weight loss for that matter. Go to message boards--- getting started, hints, tips and so on. I think it's the very same board you opened this thread in. Or youtube "how to use mfp". Be creative. Learn something and watch your progress in the mirror. If you can't do it using mfp, nothing sustainable will help you with your weight loss