Less alcohol- January 2018- one day at a time

Replies

• Cleosweetie
    Cleosweetie Posts: 71 Member
    Thanks for weighing in @cmriverside

>> I hope everyone gets what they want out of this exercise in moderation.

Yeah, I think a lot of people are getting a lot out of this thread. And I know everyone especially appreciates how it is a judgment free zone! :)
  • daddio66in2000
    daddio66in2000 Posts: 33 Member
    Yes please, what do need to join.
  • Will_Run_for_Food
    Will_Run_for_Food Posts: 561 Member
    edited December 2017
    Yes please, what do need to join.

Just follow the thread. Click on the star on the top right at the beginning of the thread to bookmark it. Then you will get notified (a number will appear next to the bell at the top of the page) every time someone replies to the thread.
  • daddio66in2000
    daddio66in2000 Posts: 33 Member
    Thank you, got it. I have downloaded to my phone the App AlcoDroid just to track drinks I knew it was bad but yikes.....
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    Looking forward to this - my sleeping is terrible of late.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,157 Member
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    Does anyone have a motivating book title, website, or YouTube videos that inspire them?

I'm not sure if this is appropriate, but here is a link to the AA Big Book in pdf format.

https://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/alcoholics-anonymous

Thanks for sharing this. I read the first chapter about Bill. I will read more.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,157 Member
    jerijulian wrote: »
    @JulieAL1969
    “Does anyone have a motivating book title, website, or YouTube videos that inspire them?”

“Drinking: A Love Story” by Caroline Knapp. It is a well written, very personal account of her challenges.

Thank you for starting this thread. I’m in!

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll check this book out. The title is intriguing.

• slimbyjune18
    slimbyjune18 Posts: 101 Member
    I’m in too, was helpful in Dec especially with all the social events. Am planning dry weekdays and then the odd glass at the weekends. It really helps aid losing weight too. Looking forward to the group!
  • MaryBethHempel
    MaryBethHempel Posts: 513 Member
    Does anyone have a motivating book title, website, or YouTube videos that inspire them?

I have recently been getting a bunch of Tony Robbins dvd's, cd's, and even cassette tapes....He is a master on motivation. He is on YouTube! Happy New Year! :)
  • I’m in! I’ve decided to do dry January (or at least try!,). I really want to see if I actually just drink out of habit and find I don’t miss it. I did it with smoking exactly this time last year. Fingers crossed!
  • bdbchick
    bdbchick Posts: 2,434 Member
    I’m in! Looking forward to a dry January
  • salleewins
    salleewins Posts: 2,308 Member
    I am in. So thankful for this thread.
  • amycakes90
    amycakes90 Posts: 14 Member
    Count me in. I had started a thread before I had seen this one. Good to see like minded people on here we all want to make a positive change to our lives :-)
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    I am in. I am aiming for a dry January. Lots of work/family stress in December = six extra pounds from too much stress eating and drinking. Blech
  • missoularocks2018
    missoularocks2018 Posts: 16 Member
    edited December 2017
    Yes! This is the group for me. I love all my local breweries, distilleries and cider house. Drinking is also such a social thing for me. Maybe I need to make new friends. I'm not planning to completely cut out all alcohol but I need to scale back! Haha
  • Cleosweetie
    Cleosweetie Posts: 71 Member
    No sign ups! Just read the thread and post whenever you want to! :)
  • donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    I'm looking forward to a dry January and maybe beyond like @crazykatlady_ My husband informed me that he bought a bottle of Veuve Clicquot champagne for tonight--my favorite (He's not a saboteur; I just haven't informed him of my plans). So I'll ring out 2017 with a glass or two then get down to business in 2018. Happy New Year, everyone!

By the way, @crazykatlady_ , how long into your 80 days before you stopped missing it or obsessing about it. I'm just hoping January is long enough to accomplish that. Surely it gets easier when you truly don't miss it.
  • srclark89
    srclark89 Posts: 79 Member
    I am starting the year off alcohol, white sugar and white flour free. I have been practising through December, setting myself up for success. I am on my own so it will be nice to share my journey on this thread. One day at a time-my mantra for the year.