Turned into your parents yet ?

Avocado_Angel
Avocado_Angel Posts: 2,362 Member
The old saying "oh just you wait, till ya get to my age" I'm no where near my parents age, well, actually thier no longer here but. But I guess I'm now a lot older (31 in March) not a pensioner but I'm older. Don't know what's happened but I'm definitely finding that I find my mum & dad make a lot more sense now lol and I have quite a lot of their traits. Maybe cos I spent so much time with them. But I always used to think nah, that'll never be me lol

Have you taken on a lot of your parents traditions and find that you share their traits?

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Yes and as I get older--it's comforting.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,193 MFP Moderator
    Don't tell my kids, but.... me too.

'I walked up hill both ways in the blowing snow! Stop yer complainin, whippersnappers!'
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    edited December 2017
    No, not me. For some people it's the opposite. Not all parents should be emulated, anyway. And I won't ever say things like that to my children. I want them to grow up to make their own choices, choose their own lives, be who they are, learn their own life lessons, gain their own wisdom. I listen to them, talk, offer guidance. But, I don't make judgements on how they will understand me when they are older. Instead I seek to understand them from my own experience of having been their age. This is just my personal experience. No judgement intended towards people that like this concept. I know friends that had that experience.
  • sw33tp3a1
    sw33tp3a1 Posts: 5,065 Member
    Sounds bad to say but God I hope not. I'm striving to be better than Mother ever was.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Yes, i find myself talking like my mom, saying things like she would say them. It always catches me off guard. I act more like my mom in terms of mannerisms, but my character is more like my dad.
  • BinaryPulsar
    No, not me. For some people it's the opposite. Not all parents should be emulated, anyway. And I won't ever say things like that to my children. I want them to grow up to make their own choices, choose their own lives, be who they are, learn their own life lessons, gain their own wisdom. I listen to them, talk, offer guidance. But, I don't make judgements on how they will understand me when they are older. Instead I seek to understand them from my own experience of having been their age. This is just my personal experience. No judgement intended towards people that like this concept. I know friends that had that experience.

Don't get me wrong, there is a million things my parents did wrong and I will never emulate that. I do things my own way but I seem to have taken on thier habits without even knowing it. One day I realised, omg this is what my parents taught me. I took on all thier good traits. I didn't see the point in anything they taught me, now I see they were trying to protect me, I now appreciate it.

That's a good thing. I was abused and not protected. It was opposite. So, this concept just added to hurt for me. But, my supportive friends explain to me what you did... how it can be a good thing.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Not really. I think I have always been different from my family. I don't think I act very like my parents.
  • BinaryPulsar

Don't get me wrong, there is a million things my parents did wrong and I will never emulate that. I do things my own way but I seem to have taken on thier habits without even knowing it. One day I realised, omg this is what my parents taught me. I took on all thier good traits. I didn't see the point in anything they taught me, now I see they were trying to protect me, I now appreciate it.

That's a good thing. I was abused and not protected. It was opposite. So, this concept just added to hurt for me. But, my supportive friends explain to me what you did... how it can be a good thing.

I'm sorry you had to go through that. My parents became abusive toward the end. They changed from nice to nasty so I know how hurtful it is when your parents are hurtful towards you. It cuts deep.

Sorry to hear that also. ♡ Thanks.
  • Nikki10129
    Nikki10129 Posts: 292 Member
    Oh yes, at 22 I find myself telling my younger sister (16) to stop all her swearing and my mom just side eyes me because she used to tell me thme same thing
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,493 Member
    No.

Now Get Off My Lawn.

Damn Kids.
  • Mandygring
    Mandygring Posts: 704 Member
    I see so much of both my parents in me....thanks. Mom and dad :/ lol
  • xFunctionalStrengthx
    xFunctionalStrengthx Posts: 4,928 Member

That's good that you realize and see what they were trying to do in terms of protecting and teaching you. Hopefully, my son comes to that realization. But, given history and recent events, doubtful.

As to my becoming my parents, there's a lot of good traits of them I picked up from them and my grandparents. But, the bad, nope.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Total opposite. But hey that’s cool.
    I lift and run. Extremely active outdoors.

Them, nope.