Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Mainstream Eating Guidance, 1960

AnnPT77
AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
There are several threads now with some speculation about mainstream eating in the 1950s/60s. I'm going to post this as a separate thread because it may be of historic interest to others. The images are from a book, "Family Meals and Hospitality", by Lewis/Peckham/Hovey, 1960 edition. It was my high school Home Economics class book. ;)

It used 7 food groups, not intended to be exhaustive:
rlb7s5v08wfr.jpg

This is breakfast:
aocjohsmkphd.jpg

Lunch:
bahx1lwv1rxa.jpg

And dinner:
5kiq5e6s185f.jpg

This is a a picture of daily menus, with some interesting hints about expected lifestyle (like the thermos bottle). Note the comment that foods outside the basic 7 groups will also be used.
usdskloneila.jpg

FWIW.

Replies

• GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    THANK YOU
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,905 Member
    ...and by "funny" I mean, it ain't rocket surgery.

Thanks for doing this!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    I was not alive in 1960. We still use my wife's "Practical Cookery" from college, Texas Women's University, and her favorite high school teacher was her Home Ec. teacher.

And she can't cook to save her life.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    This is brilliant! Though, that breakfast would have me covered in eczema in no time :D

I am a big fan of the bit where we can have two cups of ice cream a day ;)

That "ice cream and seafood" thing, tho. I'm just not feeling shrimp, lobster or salmon paired with ice cream.

Decent enough info for the most part. Although those protein recommendations were sure low.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    This is brilliant! Though, that breakfast would have me covered in eczema in no time :D

I am a big fan of the bit where we can have two cups of ice cream a day ;)

That "ice cream and seafood" thing, tho. I'm just not feeling shrimp, lobster or salmon paired with ice cream.

Decent enough info for the most part. Although those protein recommendations were sure low.

Myself, I found it interesting that the calorie recommendations seem relatively high, in my region, compared to current calculators: 1800 at age 65, 128 pounds.

Protein is not that far from current USDA, 0.8 for each 2 pounds now, so 51.2g for the 128lb in this book's table, but these days usually pinned at 46g for women vs. 58g in this book's table. (I agree with you that all of that is too low in reality, BTW - I shoot for 100g+ at 120lb ideal weight).
  • spinnerdell
    spinnerdell Posts: 230 Member
    Love this, since I started high school in 1960. My high school didn't offer home economics, so this book is new to me.

The calorie recommendations do seem high.
  • FitLifeCrossroads
    FitLifeCrossroads Posts: 57 Member
    Thank you for posting, I enjoyed reading it!
  • lokihen
    lokihen Posts: 382 Member
    Is 5'9" the average height of men? My brain got stuck on the 154 lbs for men column.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Fun thread!