the benefits of Vinegar

2»

Replies

• Slay_each_day
    Slay_each_day Posts: 4 Member
    It might not be great at drinking it before meals, but I use it to clean my kitchen and it works FANTASTIC. It's cheap and effective. Yes it smells like pickles for a few minutes but it goes away.
  • whosshe
    whosshe Posts: 597 Member
    Vinegar is great on french fries (a Canadian thing) & on fish but there is no evidence of it having any impact on weight loss (contrary to what the con artists would have you think).

Is it only a Canadian thing? I guess I just figured everyone did it but I am Canadian soooo....
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Also, a natural way to unclog a sink (and a preventative measure against clogs): put one part baking soda into the drain. Add two parts vinegar (the cheap 'white' vinegar is fine) and chase that down with 4 parts boiling water. Usually 1/2-cup baking soda, 1 cup vinegar, 2 cups water is fine, but larger drains may need more.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Losing weight does not mean you have to punish yourself with yucky crap.

Just keep to your calorie limit with the foods you prefer.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    No but it's good with fries.
  • ColinIsTheName
    ColinIsTheName Posts: 365 Member
    It's great for dyeing eggs and de-scaling my coffee maker.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    No. But it’s good for attracting fruit flies.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Drinking vinegar is a great way to take the enamel off your teeth.
  • crazykatlady820
    crazykatlady820 Posts: 301 Member
    Mmm... I could really go for some home fries with vinegar.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Vinegar is great on french fries (a Canadian thing) & on fish but there is no evidence of it having any impact on weight loss (contrary to what the con artists would have you think).

Is it only a Canadian thing? I guess I just figured everyone did it but I am Canadian soooo....

Its somewhat common in parts of the US. I grew up with them when i was at the shore in Jersey or Maryland.
  • theowlbox
    theowlbox Posts: 912 Member
    I think this article does a good job of outlining why people have continued to believe it's helpful and what the research actually suggests you do with the vinegar. I think it takes some science literacy to look at the raw papers, but i like that there is a link to them if you want to read for yourself.
    http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/19/health/apple-cider-vinegar-weight-loss/index.html
    I don't have a dog in the race, but wanted to give some sources if you want to look into it further. In any event, good luck with your efforts!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member

We used to have salt and vinegar hot chips in Australia in the 80s. Not sure if anyone still does here.

Mmmm, now I want some.

• optionsguy88
    optionsguy88 Posts: 325 Member
    I use vinegar to clean the house.
  • mlinci
    mlinci Posts: 403 Member
    I'm currently sick with shingles, which is really unpleasant. But I had a good (if painful) laugh yesterday - while looking at YouTube videos about shingles, I saw several titled "cure your shingles with ACV". I can't even read about my illness without some ACV woo!
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    It would help me more to drink 16 oz of vinegar right after a meal... bc I would puke up all the food I ate before I got any of the calories...
    In seriousness, CICO helps with weight loss, not vinegar (ACV or any other type). Everyone wants a magic bullet, but science hasn't found one yet and probably never will.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    cwells16 wrote: »
    It's great for dyeing eggs and de-scaling my coffee maker.

I use white vinegar to clean my kettle
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Never heard this one.
  • Loug1983
    Loug1983 Posts: 89 Member

It's very popular in the UK too, with salt.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    No