Treadmill training and other newbie questions.

lowjax75
lowjax75 Posts: 589 Member
Hi everyone! Newbie here and have a few questions if you don't mind. I've read through most of the Sticky topics and have a question about using the treadmill. It's flippin' cold here in Wisconsin and starting to run/walk when it is below 0 doesn't sound appealing to me, so I'm trying to start in a gym on a treadmill.

I guess my main question is how do you keep fluctuating the speeds on a treadmill in the 30/90 second intervals? Just arrow up the speed to something like 6.0 and then back down to 3.0 or something? Seems like a lot of messing with buttons to get it to do the intervals. Is there an easier way? I'm guessing it probably depends on the treadmill and what setting are built in.

I have walked a 5k so far on it, but so far haven't really run. I tried once and I sounded more like an elephant than a runner. I think I run flat footed and stomp my feet down. I'll be visiting a running store to get my gait checked out and see what kind of shoes they recommend for me. I'm wearing some New Balance 574 right now and it is OK for walking, but shins really hurt if I do too much of an incline or if I walk too fast. I guess it's more the muscle that goes down the outside of my leg and wraps around from the side to the front of the shin about 2" above the ankle. I'm sure the proper shoes will help that.

Anyway, thanks for reading my rambling and any help is greatly appreciated! Looking forward to doing a 5k this year for the first time in my life.

Replies

• GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Hi Lowjax. I have no insight to your questions and will leave that for the experienced people to answer. I just wanted to wish you the best of luck with the program. It's great and feels very rewarding with every successful step.

I am on week 5, day 3 myself.
  • lowjax75
    Hi Lowjax. I have no insight to your questions and will leave that for the experienced people to answer. I just wanted to wish you the best of luck with the program. It's great and feels very rewarding with every successful step.

I am on week 5, day 3 myself.

Thanks for your support @GOT_Obsessed ! I appreciate it. Looks like you are doing great! Keep up the great work!
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    I'm not much help on the treadmill either. Makes me dizzy.

That being said, just adjust the speed- faster for run intervals and slower for walk intervals.
  • lowjax75
    Just_Ceci wrote: »
    I'm not much help on the treadmill either. Makes me dizzy.

That being said, just adjust the speed- faster for run intervals and slower for walk intervals.

Thanks for the feedback @Just_Ceci !
  • mjn18
    mjn18 Posts: 74 Member
    I was doing 4.1 for running and 3.7 for walking today. I think not trying to go too fast until you get used to the feel of running is a good goal to have.
  • lowjax75
    Thank you @mjn18 ! I have heard of starting to run slow, but didn't know it was that slow. I tried starting running at 6.0 and it wasn't pretty.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    Oh we are not going to mention what my speeds are. I would make you guys laugh they are so slow. I have been told not to worry about the speed much at this point so I don't. I am just trying to build endurance and figure out this breathing stuff. I don't know what those numbers even mean. Are they km per hr? Miles per hour? Who cares, they are just numbers right now.

I did week 6, day 1 today ☺
    and I feel proud of how far I have come. Day 1 I thought I was going to die lol.
  • lowjax75
    Awesome job @GOT_Obsessed ! So, I'm thinking I could even keep the speed the same and walk and then start jogging at the same speed? I read in another thread where someone ran at a slower treadmill speed than they walked to.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    lowjax75 wrote: »
    Awesome job @GOT_Obsessed ! So, I'm thinking I could even keep the speed the same and walk and then start jogging at the same speed? I read in another thread where someone ran at a slower treadmill speed than they walked to.

I guess technically you could but you will surprise yourself and you may not have to. Have you started the actual program yet?

I was looking ahead...DON'T DO THAT!!! Friday is my last day with any walking intervals. lol

good luck!
  • lowjax75

I guess technically you could but you will surprise yourself and you may not have to. Have you started the actual program yet?

I was looking ahead...DON'T DO THAT!!! Friday is my last day with any walking intervals. lol

good luck!

Thanks @GOT_Obsessed ! Good luck tomorrow!

• capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    I'm one of those that started out running slower than I walk. But my walking speed is quite fast for someone my height. Can't slow down, feels unnatural because I have long legs lol. 5.5kph walk speed, 5kph run.

I can run faster now, but I still take it really slow. My top run speed is only 6.4 kph (4mph). I can run faster but not for long hauls.
  • lowjax75
    Thank you @capaul42 . That really helps! I have short legs and am walking at 4.8 kph (3.0 mph) and was trying to run at 9.6 kph (6.0 mph). That's probably too fast for someone starting out.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    edited January 2018
    Thank you @capaul42 . That really helps! I have short legs and am walking at 4.8 kph (3.0 mph) and was trying to run at 9.6 kph (6.0 mph). That's probably too fast for someone starting out.

Yeah, going from 3.0 to 6.0 is a pretty significent jump. I walk at 3.8, do steady state running at 5.1 or so, tempo at 5.5, and 6.0 is flat out for no more than a couple of minutes! I've been running for about 6 months, and it took a long time to build up to those speeds! Maybe see how you feel running steady state at 4.0 mph, then bump it up one or two tenths each time until you get to a speed that you can sustain for the duration of your run? Have fun with it :)
  • showjumper
    showjumper Posts: 335 Member
    I am a treadmill-a-holic...... I run weekly on mine! I have started, restarted and mess around with the C25K on and off for about a year. I like to walk at 3.0-3.3 (usually start at 3.0 and towards the end of the session will bump it up 0.1 or 0.2) and again I go to 5.5-5.8 with the run sections, the 6.0+ will come usually your second time through or when you progress to the 10k program. IMHO you aren't in it to win in, just to complete each day successfully and healthy to go on to the next days and weeks ahead of you, the time passes at the same rate if you are jogging at 4.5mph or sprinting at 7.5mph, to me the slower is more enjoyable and will keep you coming back. Overfacing yourself by going too quick can mess with your confidence and set up for failure. Also, remember that if you are doing this to get started set yourself a bit of an incline so the adjustment to out doors won't be so much. I don't run lower then 1%.
    Not sure about your gym but most treadmills have the option of punching the number in, so only 3 (ie 3 0 enter) pushes instead of repeatedly crushing the ^ or v :)

Hope that helps... and have fun!!! look forward to your updates in the daily feed!
  • ninpiggy
    ninpiggy Posts: 228 Member
    edited January 2018
    I walk 3.0 mph on the treadmill and run at 4.0 mph at a 2% incline. My treadmill has speed buttons on the side so I push 3 for walking and 4 for running. My goal is to increase my speed as my endurance improves.