Do you pump your own?

Replies

• OkChargerFan
    OkChargerFan Posts: 371 Member
    I've always pumped my own.
    I've been siphoned a few times too. I'll leave that for another thread...
  • THeADHDTurnip
    THeADHDTurnip Posts: 413 Member
    Always. My company pays for my gas and gives me vechles so it's always credit card. I hate sitting around doing nothing.
  • Rufftimes
    Rufftimes Posts: 349 Member
    This thread wins the internet. Are people really that shook about pumping their own gas? I've been doing it since I had my first motorbike at 8.
    If you can't manage a nozzle without soiling yourself, you shouldn't be on the road. But then I'm of the mind that if you can't change a flat, you shouldn't be either
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    I don't mind pumping. I also kind of like the way it smells.

I love the smell
  • Apparently, there is a concern that ‘transients’ will steal children while gas is being pumped. As a ‘POTG’ (Person on the Go, which is our preferred noun) I take offense to this accusation.

We are a mobile people who are constantly moving as silently as possible. Have you ever tried to get a child to walk? Or run? And remain quiet at the same time?!

No. You haven’t. It’s impossible. The whining would start immediately. “Where are we going? I don’t want to walk! Who are you? You’re not my mom. I’m hungry. I’m thirsty. I’m bored. Can I play on your phone? WHY NOT!?!?!?!?!?”

I’m already annoyed just thinking about it.

Trust me. Your entitled kids are safe in your Prius. Just make sure you give them a screen to bury their cherubim face in lest they begin to fade into boredom and start accusing you of neglect.
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Also, that's what the gloves they provide are for, so your hands don't smell like it.

You get gloves!! The thing I hate about pumping is touching the "thingy" handle? I don't know who handles it before me and I'm sure people with questionable hygiene have touched it and that is my main problem.

Also all stations are self serve here. Some are switching to you have to pre pay too
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Vikka_V wrote: »
    I don't mind pumping. I also kind of like the way it smells.

I love the smell

h2npqza9qx63.gif
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    HAHAHA I saw this all over FB. I was raised in DE and used to have to help my fellow high-schoolers that would drive in from NJ pump their gas. Then when I moved to Jersey I definitely appreciated the fact that I didn't have to get out of my car on rainy or snowy days, but I still always pump whenever we went elsewhere.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    I suppose change is difficult for some people but did they really never in 62 years leave the state and pump their own gas?

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Also, that's what the gloves they provide are for, so your hands don't smell like it.

You get gloves!! The thing I hate about pumping is touching the "thingy" handle? I don't know who handles it before me and I'm sure people with questionable hygiene have touched it and that is my main problem.

I've noticed most of the stations in my area have added Purell dispensers.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Oregonian here. when i moved here 30 years ago I was annoyed that I couldnt pump my own gas. you have to wait for an attendant and many of them are quite surly, (not all, many are also super friendly, even after days of rain and wind). Sitting inside your car while waiting isnt a luxury either. Now when I go to different states where I have to pump im like er...do what now? I for one cant wait for them to implement this into the larger cities in or.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    edited January 2018

Also all stations are self serve here. Some are switching to you have to pre pay too

The gas pump is known for being very dirty.
  • LittleHearseDriver
    LittleHearseDriver Posts: 2,677 Member
    I don't mind pumping my own. The gas station is where I find the classy hookers.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    I live in Oregon. I pump my own when I am on my Motorcycle, but I sit in my car and let the attendant do it when I am in my car. Because, frankly, if I am in my car, it means the weather is not nice enough to ride my motorcycle.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    I prefer full service.
  • Find_Me_Again
    Find_Me_Again Posts: 299 Member
    I feel really awkward whenever I happen upon a gas station that's full-service. I feel like a rich *kitten* and it makes me uncomfortable.

YES!! And I don't trust the attendants. I don't know why, I just assume they're all shady :laugh:
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    I’ve never used full service. Seems weird to me. I don’t mind pumping gas. I just click the thing and browse social media on my phone..
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    The first time I visited Oregon I was so confused by the attendants and didn’t know what to do. I’m used to pumping my own. I think my visits to Oregon are the ONLY times I have seen attendants at gas stations because i go to places like 7-11. Why did they have them in the first place?