Not getting sore after lifting anymore?

I’ve been lifting for some time now but now matter how much i do, I won’t be sore the next day. I used to get sore but after about a month i stopped, and at the end of my very last set I can’t go anymore, like my body won’t allow me so i know im pushing my self. Am i still getting gains???

Replies

• GymTennis
    GymTennis Posts: 133 Member
    Your body adopted, muscle soreness tends to slowly decrease over time as you train and train, it's normal.

But as long as you are becoming steadily stronger and stronger over time, even if we're talking 5 lbs more or a few more reps then before, you are getting gains obviously. Also, what is your program, your rep range?
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Pretty normal. I do find hitting a muscle from a different angle by alternating exercises will produce some soreness but nothing like when I first started working out. Soreness doesn't directly equate to gains by the way.
  • PowerliftingMom
    PowerliftingMom Posts: 430 Member
    I rarely get sore any more and I'm old lol. I stretch and walk slowly on the treadmill for 15-20 minutes after my lifting sessions and always stretch before lifting
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    bufflo wrote: »
    The trick is to get old like me. I would rarely get sore from lifting when I was younger. Now, if I lay off a muscle group for just a few days then I will be sore when I start back. I'm almost 71. So, hurry and get old as this geezer.

I'm an old guy (67) and I never get sore anymore. Haven't for years.

This is probably due to the fact that I do some sort of exercise every day (lifting, rowing and/or hiking) and work all of my muscle groups (in one way or another) when I do.

So, there's nothing left (no unused muscles) to get sore.

But, feeling tired, that's another matter. That happens all the time as I get older.

LOL!
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited January 2018
    Track your progression for a month.

That will tell you if you're making gains.

Getting sore just means you're working out at a volume or intensity you're not accustomed to.

You could drop the weight by 70% and increase the reps by 500% and you'd probably be sore the next day.

Doesn't mean it was a good training session.

One thing I didn't see is what is your recovery/training schedule.

Being unable to continue is as much related to complete recovery as to workload.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Studies have found that soreness does not equate to how effective a workout is. You can measure gains by whether or not you are able to increase weight or reps, or by measuring body parts.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    What is your programming? Are you progressing daily/weekly/monthly on the loads. By what amount are you progressing?

I think soreness may be an indication of stress but you should be more concerned with the adaptation. If you are putting more weight on bar or getting more reps you are progressing.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    I only really get sore when I change things up. Otherwise, it's business as usual
  • Same as others. .. muscle confusion gives me DOMS. In general i get in more from higher volumes at 45% max. I don't worry about it much as this is one of the 3 indicators of development.
  • Same as others. .. muscle confusion gives me DOMS. In general i get in more from higher volumes at 45% max. I don't worry about it much as this is one of the 3 indicators of development.

Go look up the research..... there are 3 accepted types of muscle development. Only one of whitch results in DOMS. It's not the onky factor in developing.
  • adaptive stress on the muscles from micro tears in muscle fibres during eccentric loadinh is good but only one part of the piture ... you don't have to get sore to become stronger. There are more factors to muscle growth beyond hypertrophy, like adequate sleep and recovery anyway.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    I only get sore when I switch things up. Like today. Full body bodybuilding style. High volume sets. Currently very sore.
  • Studies have found that soreness does not equate to how effective a workout is. You can measure gains by whether or not you are able to increase weight or reps, or by measuring body parts.

i like to annotate photos as well to help track programme success. One thing I don't recommend is tracking body fat percentage. To many uncontrolled veritables. I now just track failure points for strong and weak excuses mass of the big muscle groups.

• ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Have you tried less reps with heavier weights?
  • ccruz985 wrote: »
    Have you tried less reps with heavier weights?

Good idea. I've notices a sort of cycle in my own training where twice a year my one rep max creates heavy DOMS for 3 days or so. I mainly attribute it to session changes in diet.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Your body has adapted to your workouts, time to change workouts.