is there a matrix with all the low carb diets?

tmoneyag99
tmoneyag99 Posts: 480 Member
There is Atkins, keto, LCHF, Southbeach.

I'm so confused. I know we have a launch pad but I would love to see a matrix that showed the similarities and the differences between each low carb diet.

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Personally, I find it better to avoid the "commercial diets" (Atkins, South Beach) and focus more on hitting the right macros at the right timing for me. Everyone who does something similar is basically doing their own version of low carb. This is going to be enormous.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    A brief and certainly not comprehensive info graphic. There are some broad generalities and in terms of information it is designed to be pretty, not scientific. Blue Tree Health is a weight loss company so take it for what it's worth. BUT it is a high level over view of some of the basics of the low carb -osphere.

http://www.bluetreehealthtx.com/whats-the-best-low-carb-diet-for-me/
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Here would be the zerocarb / carnivore column for that chart.
    zvrqvkukgd19.png
  • Flybeetle
    Flybeetle Posts: 387 Member
    Am I correct to conclude that "Banting" is the same as "LCHF"??
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,572 Member
    Banting was an early (Civil War era) advocate of a LC diet. It is a historical reference.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Flybeetle wrote: »

William Banting was a chubby undertaker in London in the mid 1800s who went on a diet of high fat. You can find a pdf of his Letters on Corpulence on line via a google search. You can also look up Banting Diet and it will give you specifics on the current version of the Banting Diet popularized by Tim Noakes as The Real Meal Revolution and yes-LCHF.

https://realmealrevolution.com/10-commandments-beginner-banting/
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Flybeetle wrote: »

There's​ ​a​ ​spectrum​ ​of​ ​low​ ​carb​ ​diets,​ ​from​ ​zero​ ​carb​ ​(aka​ ​Meativores)​ ​to​ ​the​ ​carb-full​ ​Standard American​ ​Diet​ ​(SAD).​ ​Some​ ​people​ ​also​ ​do​ ​low​ ​carb,​ ​high​ ​fat​ ​vegetarian.
    How Jimmy Moore defined them:
    Zero​ ​carb:​​ ​Less​ ​than​ ​10​ ​grams​ ​of​ ​carbs​ ​daily​ ​and​ ​5%​ ​calories​ ​daily
    Low-carb​ ​ketogenic​ ​diet​ ​(LCKD):​​ ​less​ ​than​ ​50g​ ​carbs​ ​and​ ​10%​ ​calories​ ​daily
    Low-carb​ ​diet​ ​(LCD):​​ ​50-130g​ ​carbs​ ​daily​ ​and​ ​between​ ​10-26%​ ​of​ ​calories
    Moderate-carb​ ​diet​ ​(MCD):​ ​​130-225g​ ​carbs​ ​daily​ ​and​ ​between​ ​26-45%​ ​of​ ​calories
    High-carb​ ​diet​ ​(SAD):​ ​​Greater​ ​than​ ​225​ ​carbs​ ​daily
    Source: http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/what-is-a-low-carb-diet-researchers-have-now-defined-it/6648
  • LolaDeeDaisy23
    LolaDeeDaisy23 Posts: 383 Member
    Wait...why are peanuts excluded for LCHF?? Or cashews for that matter. Sure cashews are higher carb, but if it you make it fit your macros, why not?
  • FIT_Goat
    Wait...why are peanuts excluded for LCHF?? Or cashews for that matter. Sure cashews are higher carb, but if it you make it fit your macros, why not?

There are forms of keto/LCHF that allow peanuts. In general, they are not preferred. They are higher in antinutrients, carbs, and a lot of things that people try and avoid. If they fit into your macros and other goals, then there is nothing that says you can't have them.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,572 Member
    edited January 2018
    I eat peanuts almost every day. The ones I get are 1 net carb per oz. I like them, and they fill the void - give my stomach something to work on. I can keep them in my desk at work.

I have not really followed any particular plan or read a book about Banting or anything. I just keep net carbs under 20 and meet my protein goal. I have a calorie limit. This works for me.
  • LolaDeeDaisy23
    FIT_Goat wrote: »

There are forms of keto/LCHF that allow peanuts. In general, they are not preferred. They are higher in antinutrients, carbs, and a lot of things that people try and avoid. If they fit into your macros and other goals, then there is nothing that says you can't have them.

I haven’t seen anything in the Launchpad that says peanuts are not preferred or that many people try to avoid it. Can you please link some articles regarding this? I’d like to read them please... considering I eat about 2-4 tablespoons of peanut butter and almond butter per day.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Google aflatoxins in peanuts. Peanuts are a legume. Paleo is anti legume. Because peanuts have whatever Paleo people don't favor in legumes plus have aflatoxins, no one eating Paleo would want to eat peanuts. I say, groovy. More for me.
  • LolaDeeDaisy23
    I understand why Paleo would not eat peanuts but I’m talking purely on the LCHF side
  • FIT_Goat
    edited January 2018
    There are many reasons, but I am not the best person to ask. I am anti-plants in general. When we wrote the Launchpad, we went for the broad definition of LCHF. As you are aware, we didn't feel that peanuts were worth excluding specifically. If people wanted to include them or not include them, it would be their choice.
    • peanuts have a ton of omega-6 fatty acids and virtually no omega-3s
    • they are higher carb (both net and total) than real nuts
    • peanuts have anti-nutrients like phytic acid which binds with the few nutrients in peanuts and make them less available
    • they are highly palatable and cause over-consumption issues for a lot of people

There are probably more, but these are just off the top of my head. I'm anti-plants across the board and would be just as quick to tell you that spinach is bad for you. If you like peanuts, have at them. There are LCHF diets that do not encourage them (https://thenoakesfoundation.org/nutrition-network/nuts-on-the-lchf-diet-can-you-eat-peanuts-on-a-low-carb-diet), but it isn't universal.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    baconslave wrote: »
    I understand why Paleo would not eat peanuts but I’m talking purely on the LCHF side
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    There are many reasons, but I am not the best person to ask. I am anti-plants in general. When we wrote the Launchpad, we went for the broad definition of LCHF. As you are aware, we didn't feel that peanuts were worth excluding specifically. If people wanted to include them or not include them, it would be their choice.
    • peanuts have a ton of omega-6 fatty acids and virtually no omega-3s
    • they are higher carb (both net and total) than real nuts
    • peanuts have anti-nutrients like phytic acid which binds with the few nutrients in peanuts and make them less available
    • they are highly palatable and cause over-consumption issues for a lot of people

There are probably more, but these are just off the top of my head. I'm anti-plants across the board and would be just as quick to tell you that spinach is bad for you. If you like peanuts, have at them. There are LCHF diets that do not encourage them (https://thenoakesfoundation.org/nutrition-network/nuts-on-the-lchf-diet-can-you-eat-peanuts-on-a-low-carb-diet), but it isn't universal.

Goat hit it pretty well.
    Coming from a former IIFYM-Keto person, at sub-20g total, I stayed away from them because they had too many carbs so I couldn't get as many veggies in. At 20 or 30g net, I allowed them in, but I had to be careful with them. They are calorie bombs, a bit higher in carbs (like those damn devil cashews), and they are hard to moderate for some people. If I don't watch it, I'm like a effin cracked-out squirrel. It's ugly. Nut-apocalypse. All the nuts, in my mouth, cheeks puffed out like a hamster. :wink:

That's about it for me too.

And cheese... Gotta be careful about cheese. It fits my macros but I can eat waaay too much of it.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    I shoot for 5/15/80% CPF with less meat than ever which is mainly tuna/olive oil McDonald's quarter pounder patties now. I do tree nuts and 100% cacao bars all day for snacks. Most calories from coconut products.

LCHF to me is keeping carbs =< 50 grams daily..

I have taken religion out of my WOE and just eat for better health and health markers. While I don't eat sugar or anything containing any form of any grains that is for pain management to avoid taking Enbrel injections.

There is nothing to count or track because that is done daily by just stepping on the scales daily.

My version of LCHF has been working fine for over three years. At my age I am down to KISS.

I do most of the supplements I noted at ketolivewell.com but I don't promote them with out a reason. Mine are mainly from foods that I seldom otherwise eat.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,751 Member

Because peanuts are not nuts, they are legumes, and high in carbs.

Cashews are very high in carbs as true nuts go. Of the two, nutritionally, cashews win, if it fits into your carb count/macros, go ahead and have a few.

My husband has told me there is no such thing as a few cashews. I don't eat them because of that, when I did eat them I ended up gaining weight (pre keto/lchf life) YMMV.