Depression & Exercise

ZiggyRS0307
ZiggyRS0307 Posts: 73 Member
Hey,
Just wondering how many people on here are suffering with depression, and if you have any tips to stay motivated.
I currently take antidepressants which do help, but also make me a bit spaced out and unmotivated to do any exercise. I always feel better when I’ve been to the gym but it’s the getting there that’s the problem.
Is anyone in a similar situation and have any advice?

Replies

• cnowicki2
    cnowicki2 Posts: 20 Member
    I've recently began my fitness kick again after around 6 months of being completely out, due to a nasty wave of depression coming back. What got me started again was being able to do my workouts in the comfort of my own home. I don't want to go back to the gym unless I see a substantial improvement with doing my workouts daily for atleast 1 month. (but my goal is to get back with a gym in my area!!)

Just stop listening to the voices telling you that you can't achieve what you want, and start listening to the voice that wants the change. Atleast, it has helped me feel much stronger mentally.
  • jacqueline0821
    jacqueline0821 Posts: 667 Member
    GymTennis wrote: »
    Are you medically diagnosed with depression or do you just think you're depressed? The word depression is widely used nowadays, but rarely reflects the correct condition. Depression is a serious thing. Depressed people rarely go about forums and ask questions, depressed people rarely do anything.

Medically diagnosed 5 years ago. Been on medication since then, as mentioned in my original post. Tried to come off it a few times which has always ended in disaster. I’d never throw the term around casually, I know how serious the condition is. It’s not just “feeling sad”, it’s physical conditions like muscle pains, insomnia, weight problems, stress induced acne - and all sort of horrible stuff. Please don’t generalise depressed people by saying we rarely going on forums and ask questions, sometimes it’s easier to ask complete strangers for help on the internet at 3am than it is to talk to the people closest to us.
    I appreciate the corncern for throwing the word around, it’s something that upsets me too, but depression affects everyone differently and it upsets me even more to be stereotyped.

I definitely agree it is easier to put questions in a forum. You can ignore their answers if you don’t like them or they don’t understand lol.
  • ZiggyRS0307
    ZiggyRS0307 Posts: 73 Member
    Thank you @jacqueline0821! That comment just hit a nerve a little...
  • GymTennis
    GymTennis Posts: 133 Member
    Are you medically diagnosed with depression or do you just think you're depressed? The word depression is widely used nowadays, but rarely reflects the correct condition. Depression is a serious thing. Depressed people rarely go about forums and ask questions, depressed people rarely do anything.

Medically diagnosed 5 years ago. Been on medication since then, as mentioned in my original post. Tried to come off it a few times which has always ended in disaster. I’d never throw the term around casually, I know how serious the condition is. It’s not just “feeling sad”, it’s physical conditions like muscle pains, insomnia, weight problems, stress induced acne - and all sort of horrible stuff. Please don’t generalise depressed people by saying we rarely going on forums and ask questions, sometimes it’s easier to ask complete strangers for help on the internet at 3am than it is to talk to the people closest to us.
    I appreciate the corncern for throwing the word around, it’s something that upsets me too, but depression affects everyone differently and it upsets me even more to be stereotyped.

I'm trying to help. Check your inbox pls
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 494 Member
    I often feel depressed, and have had medication in the past one product had me sitting at my dining room table so wigged out and even more sad, I said I can't keep taking this stuff. This was years ago. I just decided that this is who I am. But ever since I've been walking 5 days a week (to and from work, and at lunch), I feel so much better. I don't want to enroll in a gym right now (too many people during the hours I can go, necessarily not always getting a machine or weights right away). I didn't realize how effective the walking was till I went on vacation during holidays. Running around stressed is not the same as taking a walk in a peaceful mindful way. I am so low right now that I'm looking forward to work on Monday. I know I suffer from depression, my father did. I just refuse to take medication for it.

All this to say is, maybe walking somewhere where you otherwise would drive to can be a start?

Wishing you all the best.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    I started taking Provogil and 5htp and I finally stopped feeling like a sore zombie. A couple weeks later I started actually feeling like taking diet seriously, and for the first time ever, it stuck. It's been since May now :)
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    I am very close to someone who has been diagnosed with clinical depression. I think if you asked him, he would tell you the worst part of it for him was the insomnia. Once he began taking medication he began sleeping and I willingly, happily listen to him recount the joys of a good night sleep! He's been on the medication for three years now but he still doesn't take sleep for granted. I sincerely feel for you; as hard as it was to watch him go through it, his suffering is/was many times worse. We know that he will be on the antidepressants for at least another five years.

I think the medication helps to keep him motivated, although that seems like an contradiction. Also, he has a family that loves and supports him. If you don't have family or friend support, find a support group. If you can "buddy up" with someone at the gym, that might keep you motivated.

I wish you the best.

• pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    Doing some exercise is better than no exercise, but don't define exercise by going to the gym. Lower the barriers and do whatever you can at home. Eg. I love my exercise bike because I didn't even have to be fully dressed, but you can march in place, do bodyweight workouts, go for a walk, etc.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    I'm trying to help. Check your inbox pls

i agree with op that you need to check your own impressions of what depression is. if your perception of depressed people is that far off-base then your 'help' is unlikely to be of any real value.

talking about what you're 'trying' to do is not going to fix that problem.
    it’s the getting there that’s the problem.

depression makes it so hard to believe in anything "future", even something as close to right-now as how it will feel once you get there. i usually don't like the 'just do it' mindset, but i have found it to be helpful during those 'just can't see it' times.

• Trixsterfan
    Trixsterfan Posts: 54 Member
    Hey,
    Just wondering how many people on here are suffering with depression, and if you have any tips to stay motivated.
    I currently take antidepressants which do help, but also make me a bit spaced out and unmotivated to do any exercise. I always feel better when I’ve been to the gym but it’s the getting there that’s the problem.

I can't imagine what you are going through, I don't knowingly have depression but I can say I feel "down" when I don't exercise, so I practice mind over matter. I sincerely hope you can overcome your depression and get into the gym.