Why does it feel like I’m starving on the 1500 cal. diet?

I started dieting on a 1700 calorie diet. Then decided to move to 1500 after a year. I keep giving up because it always makes me hungry and go back to the first diet.

Replies

• aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    What are your stats (height, gender, weight, age)? Is 1500 too much of a deficit? Are you eating filling foods that are protein, fiber, or fat rich?
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Was 1700 working for you? Impossible to tell if it is too low for you without knowing anything else.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I started dieting on a 1700 calorie diet. Then decided to move to 1500 after a year. I keep giving up because it always makes me hungry and go back to the first diet.

Why did you switch from 1700 to 1500?
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    With almost 80lbs still to lose 1500 is a very low calorie amount.

Go back to 1700 take your time.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    So you were fine at 1700 for a year, but now 1500 makes you feel like you're starving/always hungry? Did the types of foods you eat change at all, or are you still eating basically the same things?
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,050 Member
    Either it is too large of a deficit for you, or you need to consider your food choices swapping out less satiating foods for more satiating foods. What those foods vary from person to person although generally higher protein, higher fiber seem to often fit in the category of more satiating.
  • KelGen02
    KelGen02 Posts: 668 Member
    I eat 1370 a day and never feel like I am starving. There are so many things that could go into the WHY's depending on your stats, what foods you eat etc. I eat every few hours, high protein, healthy fats and drink a gallon of water each day so there is never a time I feel starved. Everyone is different when it comes to how many calories and the foods they eat and what keeps them feeling full. How long have you been on the 1500? like anything else your body takes time to adjust to something new. Why did you want to go to a lower intake? So many variables in weight loss, one size doesn't fit all...
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    If you're still losing at 1700, keep on keeping on. Slower weight loss is still weight loss, especially if it's more sustainable for you. And pay attention to which foods personally help you stay full: fiber + fat, fat + protein, higher carbs + protein, etc. It's different for everyone.

Also, and this is something I myself need to remember, it's ok and normal to feel hunger sometimes. If you're starting to feel pretty hungry 30 minutes before a meal, that's probably how it's supposed to be. But if you're starving again right after you eat, you probably need to mix things up.
  • AshlynnHH
    AshlynnHH Posts: 27 Member
    I’m at 5’5” and 228 lbs currently with around 80 lbs to go. I never changed my foods or my exercise. I exercise 7x a week at 20 minutes per day and lose about 2-3 lbs a week. I was hungry during 1700 calorie deficit at the beginning but after a few months I stopped feeling that way. I ate 566 calories per “meal” (snacks are also included) and I eat 3 meals a day. I still kept this up except the 1500 calories are 500 per meal.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    If you can lose at 1700, why lower to 1500?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I’m at 5’5” and 228 lbs currently with around 80 lbs to go. I never changed my foods or my exercise. I exercise 7x a week at 20 minutes per day and lose about 2-3 lbs a week. I was hungry during 1700 calorie deficit at the beginning but after a few months I stopped feeling that way. I ate 566 calories per “meal” (snacks are also included) and I eat 3 meals a day. I still kept this up except the 1500 calories are 500 per meal.

Go back to 1700 or even a little more.

Slow and steady is the way to go.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member

Go back to 1700. It's not realistic to try to lose more than 2-3 lbs per week, and as you get lighter, your rate of loss should naturally slow down.

You may have to go down to 1500 once you get close to goal to get the last few lbs off, but you will be smaller and need less calories then. Or maybe you will continue to get more active and won't ever have to go that low!
  • NancyYale
    NancyYale Posts: 171 Member
    Eat at the most calories you can while still steadily losing weight. If you are losing nicely ar 1700 or 1600, dont randomly drop to 1500 just to lose faster. Its not a race, and you will never win in the long run if you are miserable. That said, also look at what you are eating. Enough fiber there? Protien? Need a few more low cal veggies to fill up? Maybe some nice dense carbs? Play with what you eat, when you eat, and how much you eat until you find that sweet spot where you are happiest. Do that and you will be able to do this for life.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member

Go back to 1700 calories, especially if you aren't counting and "eating back" your exercise calories. If you feel like you're starving (not just a little hungry) then it's a good indication that 1500 is too low. There's no point in trying to force the 1500 if it just makes you give up and quit; you'll lose faster eating 1700 consistently than 1500 for a while then going on a bender.
  • CowboySar
    CowboySar Posts: 404 Member
    Need more info, weight, activity levels, what does the 1500 cals consist of? Protein will make you feel more full so you could up your protein.

When I was losing I was eating 1300-1500 (320lbs when I started down to 200). Now I am lifting and cardio almost every day of the week and having a hard time eating 2600 cals. I seem to be full at 1600, but what my goals are I need to eat more.

It will take some work to figure out what works best for you.