No need for an expensive watch to record laps for swimming a mile

You don't need an expensive watch to record your laps for swimming a mile. A mile of swimming is 36 laps. A lap is swimming to the end of a 25 yard pool (one length of the pool) and back (another length of the pool). What you do is choose one end of the pool to record your lap. I use a rubber band that i move to each finger as i complete the lap. I have 10 fingers so it is 10 laps each hand. I count to 36 for 36 laps.
Unfortunately, today my rubber band broke while swimming so i may start using a hair tie.
Other things people do are put a container of 36 objects on one end and move the object to another container after a lap.
I also heard of people using the lane lines to count by moving a object on the lane lines. But i wouldn't recommend that because some one could come and move the lane lines.
If you have any other ideas, comment below. Or if you have anything else to say about the topic, please comment.

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    What if you do flip turns?
  • Sairzie
    Sairzie Posts: 122 Member
    Never used a fancy watch or anything in fact. I just count and remember!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    However, since I've already got a triathlon watch that tracks pool swimming...
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    How's that list of things you can do without a truck going for you?
  • cmh801
    cmh801 Posts: 51 Member
    tuolon wrote: »
    You don't need an expensive watch to record your laps for swimming a mile. A mile of swimming is 36 laps. A lap is swimming to the end of a 25 yard pool (one length of the pool) and back (another length of the pool). What you do is choose one end of the pool to record your lap. I use a rubber band that i move to each finger as i complete the lap. I have 10 fingers so it is 10 laps each hand. I count to 36 for 36 laps.
    Unfortunately, today my rubber band broke while swimming so i may start using a hair tie.
    Other things people do are put a container of 36 objects on one end and move the object to another container after a lap.
    I also heard of people using the lane lines to count by moving a object on the lane lines. But i wouldn't recommend that because some one could come and move the lane lines.
    If you have any other ideas, comment below. Or if you have anything else to say about the topic, please comment.

And then your 36 little objects get knocked into the pool and clog the pool drains and break the filters.

Don’t do this just count your laps.
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    What’s wrong with just counting?
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    trochanter wrote: »
    Sorry but don't like to see rubber bands or other small objects in the pool. I see them as a potential choking hazard to other swimmers if lost and floating around.

Never occurred to me. Thanks for posting this. Who knows, you might have saved somebody's life.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    I used to use a Sport Count finger ring digital counter.
    Amazon has them for around $40.
    Click it for each lap.
    Water proof. Digital. 4 digit display.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    My expensive watch does more than just record laps so there is that. Also I don't want to stop at each fifty to move a rubber band from one finger to the next. In an ideal world I'd just remember in my head but that doesn't seem to be a thing my brain wants to do so my expensive Garmin that I use for various other things (both swimming related and not) is what I use.
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    When.I first started swimming I kept a dice at the end of my lane, every 10 laps I would rotate it to the next number up.
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    What’s wrong with just counting?

I forget my count/miscount all the time. Also my pool is an odd 19 yard size.

The watch works best for me, but great, OP, if a cheaper (but still safe) way works for you!
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Was someone complaining?
  • wjpower3789
    wjpower3789 Posts: 1 Member
    I use a knitting row counter that they put on knitting needles. Put it on chain around neck. Used it for 5 years.
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    I don't need my fancy garmin to count my laps but I want my fancy garmin to count my laps. To each their own.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,493 Member
    I swim with one of these on my back.... I use it for both timekeeping & ballast.

Howard-Miller-Greene-II-610-804-Grandfather-Clock-HR.jpg