Stuggling to get motivated...

Last year I was trying to lose weight and I was pretty happy with my effort but in December I went on holidays and gained back a bit of it..

Now that I'm back home, I'm struggling to eat healthy again and struggling to find motivation to do excercise. I know that I want to but I find myself craving bad food or feeling lazy.. and often giving into those cravings.. and even though I've done it before I can't seem to get myself back into a better mind frame and resist the temptations.. any help? Or suggestions?

Replies

• Live_life_well
    Live_life_well Posts: 86 Member
    Been there done that. At some point you will have to create a firm goal, plan a game plan to achieve it, and stick to your plan. At the end of the day this is on you to excercise will power.

When I want to torpedo my goal there's nothing anyone can do to stop me.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Just think.......I can do this now or keep doing what I'm doing and let it just get worse and more difficult.
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Set small daily goals for both food and exercise. Trying going back to meal planning. Setting challenges for myself and rewarding myself daily for getting back on track helps me after in juries. I use things like special bubble baths, movies and yes occasional treats of eating out healthy.
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    dsboohead wrote: »
    Just think.......I can do this now or keep doing what I'm doing and let it just get worse and more difficult.

This is brilliant. You really have to think of it that way: Do you really WANT to start from the beginning or get a grip before more damage is done?
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Last year I was trying to lose weight and I was pretty happy with my effort but in December I went on holidays and gained back a bit of it..

Now that I'm back home, I'm struggling to eat healthy again and struggling to find motivation to do excercise. I know that I want to but I find myself craving bad food or feeling lazy.. and often giving into those cravings.. and even though I've done it before I can't seem to get myself back into a better mind frame and resist the temptations.. any help? Or suggestions?

OP, your post made me realize I had never checked the "Most Useful Posts" stickies at the top of the Motivation & Support Forum. I took a peek and found this:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818701/the-myth-of-motivation-and-what-you-need-instead/p1

• try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Another personal favorite of mine (it's lengthy, but worthwhile). Focus on one thing that will help you the most and spend your willpower on that.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10613774/the-importance-of-willpower-for-weight-loss/p1

Also, as another poster noted, you mention "struggling to eat healthy again". Would a balanced diet that incorporates the foods you like be a "struggle"? The key to sustainability is to not make the process harder than it has to be :)
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    edited January 2018

OP - you've gotten some great advice, best of luck to you!
  • ugofatcat
    ugofatcat Posts: 385 Member
    A few ideas:

1. This was an idea I read from "The Hungry Brain." Unfortunately, people tend to think of their future self as an abstract. Trying to think about yourself in the future in the present can help. So, picture yourself in 3 months. Picture what you look like, what you are wearing, where you are. The more detail, the better. Then think about what decisions future self would want you to make right now.

2. About getting motivated- stop waiting to get motivated. Treat eating well and exercising like a job.

3. Make it difficult to make unhealthy choices and easier to make healthier choices. Don't keep foods that tempt you in the house, but keep fresh fruits/veggies (precut) in the front of the fridge so that is the first thing you will see. Keep your workout clothes in the car or somewhere so you will see them when you get home.

4. When you have an off day, journal about what you think caused it and what you think will help you.
  • saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    Push yourself to exercise first. Often the cravings will fall away.
  • pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    Cravings don't last that long, come up with distractions that you will apply when they hit