Kat's OMAD journey

Replies

• brittdee88
    brittdee88 Posts: 1,874 Member
    Nice job on getting rid of the snacks, though! I know there are just some things I cannot keep in the house (NUTELLA), so it is always better to just not have it there.
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    edited January 2018
    I need to get me some chia seeds, that pudding sounds delicious!!!
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    jeanona wrote: »
    Doing great, Kat.

I think your chia concoction is like my oats & banana porridge thingy. I call it oats but oats is just a small part, it's got wheat bran, low fat muesli, oats, bananas etc and it's not really porridge too. Only looks like it and usually about 300-400 calories for a large bowl.
    blambo61 wrote: »
    Kat, that's what I've also been doing while on a holiday. Not weighing but trying to stick with OMAD. I do find myself roughly counting calories, which is a mindset I still can't get out of yet.

Family dinner looked great and glad to hear that the chia concoction's still working for you!

Have a great day today :)

There is nothing wrong with counting calories, it just takes some time but if needed is worth it.

That is what I do too!
  • katjustkat
    katjustkat Posts: 754 Member
    Jeanona, Britt & Brenda thanxxxx all :) It is a lot easier not having snacks in the house...they just call you and make you hungry by just knowing they're there. I have to really fight their mentalness when they're in the house...much easier knowing there's no junk in the house. I grew up in a no junk house so I think I'm more comfortable without it. I just brought it into the house trying to have 'fun' stuff for my son when he moved back in ...but it didn't do any of us any favors.
    Today I had some appointments and I was going to be eating alone so I stopped at Taco Bell and got two supreme tacos and a chicken quesadilla. Not the best choice but it was quick and I hadn't had taco bell in at least ten years...I wasn't missing anything lol...I don't have a picture because I misplaced my phone ( found it later...in a laundry basket in the basement)...
    Jeanona...the porridge sounds interesting! I don't know why but oats make me feel like I'm starving after an hour. It sounds like what hubby makes himself for breakfast ...he adds wheat germ, chia, nuts, cinnamon, turmeric and some other healthy stuff. He has always eaten just breakfast and dinner and says his raw oats concoction keeps him full till dinner.
    Brenda...I'm not sure that the chia is 'delicious' but I may be a weirdo because I really do enjoy them and do get a delicious feeling when I'eating them lol...If you look on line you can find desserts made with them...chia chocolate pudding and such....but so far I gravitate towards the tablespoon of cream and two stevias....I do like it a lot and I know it's super health...win win....I did have them for dessert tonight. If you soak em and leave em in the frig over night it's as thick as pudding...that's the way I like em. I haven't needed them during the day in a while but if I got crazy hungry I would feel good about eating them.
    okie dokie...Hope everyone had a good day and I hope you enjoy your weekends :0)
  • Brendalea69
    Thanks for the info about chia seeds <3 When I misplace my phone I use another phone to call it so I can find it :D
  • brittdee88
    edited January 2018
    That is similar to what my parents did as well. Ours was a no-junk house, but as soon as my brother went away to college, my mom started stocking the pantry with all kinds of fun things she wouldn't usually let us have (and in bulk!) for when he came back home for visits. From that point on, we almost always had snacks in the house that were either leftovers from his last visit or in preparation for his next. That was around the time my first ED was developing so it didn't make a huge difference for me during that particular time, but my parents have definitely become snackers/grazers since then when we used to be square meal eaters. Even when we were active in multiple sports and running around all the time, my mom always made it a point for us to sit down at the table to eat. Once my brother left, that pretty much died.
  • katjustkat
    Thanks for the info about chia seeds <3 When I misplace my phone I use another phone to call it so I can find it :D
    My pleasure. Ya I have an iwatch and was walking around the house telling my watch to call the phone. I think the clothes muffled the ringer. I went upstairs and even out side calling the phone. I knew it was at home somewhere or the watch wouldn't work...Frustrating LOL
    brittdee88 wrote: »
    That is similar to what my parents did as well. Ours was a no-junk house, but as soon as my brother went away to college, my mom started stocking the pantry with all kinds of fun things she wouldn't usually let us have (and in bulk!) for when he came back home for visits. From that point on, we almost always had snacks in the house that were either leftovers from his last visit or in preparation for his next. That was around the time my first ED was developing so it didn't make a huge difference for me during that particular time, but my parents have definitely become snackers/grazers since then when we used to be square meal eaters. Even when we were active in multiple sports and running around all the time, my mom always made it a point for us to sit down at the table to eat. Once my brother left, that pretty much died.

Ya it's weird because even when the kids were growing up we never had snack food. I think I just wanted my son to feel welcome in the house. We always had dinner at the table too ( and still do), no one ever did their own thing. It definitely feel better here not having anything. I have a friend that has a double door pantry and it's floor the ceiling and crammed with every cookie, candy, crackers, chips you name it. When I go to her house I always open the double doors and let out a long AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH! I can't believe someone could have that much willpower with all that stuff....
    Tonight I had a kale salad and some homemade black bean soup. The soup was really good. There's enough for 6 more meals so it's in the freezer in containers.
    I read that you're supposed to put black pepper in your 'turmeric' tea ( I added it) to activate the curcumin...that's the good stuff in the turmeric. I'm adding a picture of the turmeric capsules I buy at costco. They say the have 95% curcumin ( also has the pepper) so that's super good and what you want to aim for in a capsule.
    I'll start my weight count down again on Monday. Hope everyone had a great Saturday ;O)s40ttzngp86b.jpg
    r0hdslzk58ov.jpg
    bc2ay9eucaxm.jpg
    9i5orp5znatr.jpg

• blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Read an article recently where a lady was able to get cancer to go into remission by using tumeric when the drs and given up on here.

http://www.timesnownews.com/health/article/this-woman-shares-how-turmeric-helped-her-recover-from-blood-cancer/185180

• katjustkat
    Read an article recently where a lady was able to get cancer to go into remission by using tumeric when the drs and given up on here.

http://www.timesnownews.com/health/article/this-woman-shares-how-turmeric-helped-her-recover-from-blood-cancer/185180

Ya I guess there's something to the Chinese herbs and spices and cures...who'd a thunk...
    I am sleeping better ...hmmmm....I fall asleep easily ...always have but wake up every 30 min thru the night...they call it alpha wave intrusions....you wake up at each stage as you transition into a different sleep cycle. I'm never tired during the day tho....

• Brendalea69
    I'm hearing so many positive things about turmeric :)
  • brittdee88
    Turmeric has been used for centuries for inflammation and is amazing! When I get sick (which isn't very often anymore), I always add it to whatever I am cooking or drinking, and my sinus inflammation is significantly better by the next day!

Your kale salad looks yummy! I have been in the mood for a nice salad for a while, and I can't wait until the Whole Foods opens so I can go to the salad bar!
  • jeanona
    jeanona Posts: 155 Member
    edited January 2018
    I bought turmeric powder a couple of months ago to use for adding to meals as well but never got round to actually doing it. I'm reminded of it now!
    Doing great, Kat.

I think your chia concoction is like my oats & banana porridge thingy. I call it oats but oats is just a small part, it's got wheat bran, low fat muesli, oats, bananas etc and it's not really porridge too. Only looks like it and usually about 300-400 calories for a large bowl.
    Kat, that's what I've also been doing while on a holiday. Not weighing but trying to stick with OMAD. I do find myself roughly counting calories, which is a mindset I still can't get out of yet.

Family dinner looked great and glad to hear that the chia concoction's still working for you!

Have a great day today :)

There is nothing wrong with counting calories, it just takes some time but if needed is worth it.

That is what I do too!

I like it so much. I add protein powder sometimes (when I actually remember to do so) and that brings the calories up to 500-600 cals.
  • katjustkat
    Hi All...Had another whirlwind day. Our freezer decided to give out so I'm all of a suddenly looking for new refrigerators. Lost pretty much everything in the freezer because I don't want to take chances. Looking seriously at the Samsung 4 door flex frig. I like the way the freezer doors swing open on the bottom. If anyone has any negative thoughts on it please share...I HATE making mistakes LOL. link: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Samsung-22-5-cu-ft-French-Door-Refrigerator-in-Black-Stainless-Steel-RF23J9011SG/206344416
    Today I got nervous and did eat my chia concoction at around 2 pm. Stress always stress LOL....gah...For dinner I had a salad and two eggs. Was really craving some fat free refried beans with the eggs but I was too lazy to open the can :s:D And...ya a nice chunk of bread woulda been good with that but...Oh yeah....I threw out all simple carbs that you can grab and eat.
    Spent all day looking online for refrigerators...what a waste...and that opens pandoras box to matching all the other appliances :( bah humbug. Hopefully tomorrow is easier. Hope everyone had a terrific day.
    ntl2b4v3alk2.jpg
  • brittdee88
    So sorry to hear about your freezer :( that sucks! Your potential replacement looks really nice, though!
  • minigrrll
    minigrrll Posts: 1,590 Member
    Turmeric is the BEST!

Be careful that the capsules you are buying (and it looks like the one you have probably is good) aren't JUST the curcumin.

Lots of them are - I bought a bottle in the States when we were there (I didn't want to carry my homemade pills on the flight!) and my hip pain came back almost immediately.

I looked it up and found this: https://nutritionfacts.org/video/turmeric-curcumin-plants-vs-pills/
    Although curcumin is believed to account for most activities of turmeric, research over the past decade has indicated that curcumin-free turmeric—turmeric with the so-called active ingredient removed—is as effective as, or even more effective than, curcumin-containing turmeric. There are turmerones, for example, in turmeric, but processed out of curcumin supplements, which may exhibit both anticancer activities as well as anti-inflammatory activities.

Amazing how they always want to reduce it down to one thing they can sell...!
  • minigrrll
    minigrrll Posts: 1,590 Member
    Though I just went back up to the picture of your bottle and it's really unclear as to whether it's actually the whole turmeric in there or just something they've processed out... Anyway, maybe pay attention to how you feel when you use them - the change for me from the homemade pills made with turmeric spice from the grocery store mixed with black pepper to the "super strength" curcumin pre-made ones was dramatic. I don't think it was the placebo effect either (as in I felt worse because I was expecting them not to be as good), because I actually expected them to be way better than my homemade pills (until I read that thing I posted above!)...
  • tlblanksfit
    tlblanksfit Posts: 1,573 Member
    These are the pills I take. 3 capsules a day.

pde1jvqjhcad.png
  • katjustkat
    Wow you guys! Thanxxx for the info....So crazy trying to get to the bottom of something when any search on the internet can lead you astray...That bottle is pretty expensive...like 28$...I'll read your link and figure it out. Thanxxx for the heads up!.
    Noooo frig yet. I have a lil college dorm one on the back deck...It makes you feel unbalanced not having something you're use to having...I'm still deciding on what to get and the ones I've leaned towards are back ordered till February :#
    Ran around again yesterday and did 100% OMAD and today too. Had a doc appt till 4:30 so family went out to dinner. Hmmmmm....so there's no dry goods in the house (snacks, crackers etc) and now there's NOTHING refrigerated either so....basically there's no way to even think of eating if I don't go out and get food for dinner....and then for dinner I have to keep it simple because I don't have misc ingredients. Pretty frustrating....
    here's my two dinners ( had pork in one ...didn't want but it got complicated without the frig. Hope everyone is doing welllllllll :)jz42fitpmfke.jpg
    mzl2bgw5rqhu.jpg
    Ohhh weighed in. I keep wasting a lot of time stopping and starting...hopefully I'm clear OMAD sailing for a while...uhhhh!
    need to lose 60 pounds
    1st day +1.2 pounds....61.2 to go
    2nd day -5 pounds...56.2 to go
    3rd day - .4 pounds...55.8 to go
    4th day +.2 pounds...56 to go
    5th day +.4 pounds...56.4 to go
    6th day -.4 pounds...56 to go
    7th day +.7 pounds...56.7 to go>>>> -3.3 for the week (a lot of water weight)
    New start after lag
    Jan 9 -2.1....54.6 to go
  • brittdee88
    That sucks about your fridge, but good for you with sticking to OMAD!
  • Brendalea69
    I hope you get a fridge soon and here's to a new OMAD start o:)