Toasted sandwich ideas?

Does anyone have any low cal ish toasted sandwich ideas? I've always found it a struggle to know what to have for lunch at work and they have put a toaster sandwich maker in the canteen so my idea is to make a sandwich in the morning with the fillings in and toast it at lunch! (I'm not keen on cold sandwiches you see only hot)
I have some ideas like ham and cheese, bacon and cheese ect but want to know some more exciting recipies!

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    I'd saute off mushrooms, onions the night before with a touch of soy sauce and chilli.

Then add cooked chicken or a tin of tuna.

I'd also take fruit and veg to snack on as that just wouldn't fill me.
  • katiehepp1
    katiehepp1 Posts: 138 Member
    I like the idea of mushrooms and onions! Hadn't thought of that. I do normally bring things to snack on during the day it's just the main I struggle with!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    I'd cook a steak on it. Or eggs. Sandwiches don't really fill me up unless they're substantial.
  • artbyrachelh
    artbyrachelh Posts: 338 Member
    I toast sandwiches frequently at home. I like them better hot, too. I will often put a can of tuna on a slice of bread, a thick slice of fresh mozzarella cheese on top, close it up and toast it. Surprisingly satisfying and delicious. Also, I've tried sandwiches cheese free, just lean meats and spinach stuffed in, that's so yummy too, the spinach gets all steamy.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    Falafel
    Hummus & Veggies
    Shredded Chicken or ham
    Lower fat cheese
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    I've been all about the toasties lately! Sara Lee wholegrain white (or something) bread is only 120 cals for two slices. Some deli chicken and mustard makes a surprisingly tasty sandwich and stays under 200 cals. If I'm feeling spendy, calorifically, cheese and beans. Tuna will probably do great too, might try that today and stink the house out.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Roast beef and horseradish cheddar on whole wheat, spinach, and tomato hold up well to the heat. (I keep the veggies separate until I'm ready to heat & eat so it doesn't get soggy)

Mozzarella, basil, tomato or sun-dried tomato

Turkey, mashed avocado, spinach, sprouts

Pizza grilled cheese - mozzarella or provolone, your favorite pizza toppings (mushrooms, spinach, onion, peppers, olive, ham, turkey pepperoni). Dip in tomato sauce or a cup of tomato soup.

Egg and cheese - add spinach/onion/tomato/mushrooms/meat if you'd like (breakfast sandwiches are my favorite, and they reheat well - especially toasted). 100 calorie bagel thins and English muffins if you want to mix up your bread.

Also, adding a really flavorful cured meat to a lower-calorie sandwich. A few slices of paper-thin sliced salami or capicola and heating it can add a ton of flavor without a bunch of calories.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    turkey, apple and brie w/honey mustard on an English muffin
  • artbyrachelh
    artbyrachelh Posts: 338 Member
    turkey, apple and brie w/honey mustard on an English muffin

YUM!!!!
  • mackau
    mackau Posts: 16 Member
    salami or ham, pineapple, tomato, capsicum, red onion. add cheese if you want - pizza sandwich
  • HaggisWhisperer
    HaggisWhisperer Posts: 125 Member
    I love banana and cinnamon in a toastie, but not sure if that is too much like desert for what you are after.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Bacon, brie and chilli jam.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Low cal-ish? Two slices of white bread = 140 calories. 1 egg = 80 calories. 1 slice of cheese = 80 calories.
    300 calories. Toast the bread.
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Low cal-ish? Two slices of white bread = 140 calories. 1 egg = 80 calories. 1 slice of cheese = 80 calories.
    300 calories. Toast the bread.

Yup. Could use Aunt Millie’s bread at 70 cals fir 2 slices and go with egg whites.
  • madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    grated carrots & cucumber/ broccoli slaw/cilantro; add lime juice sriracha and plain greek yogurt;
    grilled chicken breast marinated in garlic, soy sauce, fish sauce
    Spinach or other type of green

Vietnamese grilled chicken banh mi
  • TishTash1616
    TishTash1616 Posts: 22 Member
    My favourite is pesto or hummus (or both) with grilled peppers, artichokes, baby plum tomatoes and spinach. I occasionally add baked tofu.