Intermittent fasting - coffee with creamer no sugar)!

Hello all IF lovers..
I have a question here..
Mostly I follow 14:10 Or 15:9 IF.. if I take coffee with one creamer (coffee mate one small tub 15calories) before the 14/15 hour window, does it consider as breaking the fast or I can take coffee n still consider as if i am on fast.. I usually take 1coffee n water thats it...
Thank you so much for your response..

Replies

• aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    I feel like Most people consider it okay as long as it's under 100 calories
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    None of those numbers is a designated IF protocol (the biggest eating window is 8 hours, as in 16:8). You are breaking your fast if you take in calories, but it doesn't matter as long as you stick to appropriate calories for your goal. No reason to make this harder than it has to be (unless you like that, of course).
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    In my own experience, I did not consider it breaking the fast just having coffee with a little milk.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    I don't understand why you're concerned about when you break your fast. Do you think it somehow affects your weight loss? Because it doesn't.
  • NoMoreAfatChick
    NoMoreAfatChick Posts: 226 Member
    I don't understand why you're concerned about when you break your fast. Do you think it somehow affects your weight loss? Because it doesn't.

yes i am aware that i should bother about the calories that i consume. But i just wanna know how IF works. :smile:
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member

yes i am aware that i should bother about the calories that i consume. But i just wanna know how IF works. :smile:

It's just a meal timing plan. You can do it however you want. Somewhere along the line someone decided to arbitrarily make up the rules for that timing and gave it a snappy name.
  • ColleenRuns
    ColleenRuns Posts: 11 Member
    I certainly hope not, because I have been doing the 16 hour fast, 8 hour eating window every other day for about a week now, and I've been drinking an occasional cup of coffee with a small amount of Fairlife whole milk (ultra filtered to provide more protein and less sugar than regular whole milk). I've also put a single packet of stevia in that cup of coffee. Other than that, I've done a 16 hour fast every other day. I still need to read the book Intermittent Fasting, to learn more about how this all works, so maybe I'm wrong in doing this. But I hope not.
  • Lisa8823168
    Lisa8823168 Posts: 139 Member
    Many people IF and many people believe that the ratio/time contributes to metabolism and burn rates. If following the true schools of IF, it is not a what/whenever you want thing.

The OP asked if creamer affected the fast, not for opinions on whether it is a good/bad or right/wrong or matters or not.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    I still need to read the book Intermittent Fasting, to learn more about how this all works
    No you don't. You can, but you don't have to.
    Many people IF and many people believe that the ratio/time contributes to metabolism and burn rates. If following the true schools of IF, it is not a what/whenever you want thing.

The OP asked if creamer affected the fast, not for opinions on whether it is a good/bad or right/wrong or matters or not.
    And yet that is the important question.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited January 2018
    There are no right or wrong ways for doing this. Does having coffee with creamer (with or without sugar) and not eating anything else for a while make it easier for you to diet? Then that's the right way of doing it. Does it make you hungry and affect your ability to diet? Then that's the wrong way of doing it. IF is just one of many ways to manage your calories that some find easier. How you tweak it to fit your own dieting style is up to you.

If we want to talk semantics, technically coffee (with or without creamer or sugar) breaks a calorie fast (abstaining from all form of calorie intake), but does not break a solid food fast (only drinking liquids), or a semi/modified fast (consuming very few calories). Some schools of IF set a 50 calorie limit to what is considered fast breaking, others set 100, others go even higher by allowing full fledged snacks like yogurt, eggs...etc for other meals then a large meal in the evening, while others don't even allow coffee. All limits are just there to set a structure for what would keep you in a fasted or semi-fasted state and not form a full meal, so you are free to set up your own structure. Semantics have no bearing on weight loss. Ultimately it comes down to what things you can do to make dieting more tolerable. You get no dieting trophies for enforcing arbitrary rules if they don't contribute to the process.

TL;DNR: drink your coffee if you want to and don't bog yourself down with details.