Stronglifts 5 x 5 - Anyone tried it? Positive results?

Hey! Anyone tried 5x5? I have just started the programme, yesterday in fact. Hoping to build more strength and some size!

Replies

• brendanwhite84
    brendanwhite84 Posts: 220 Member
    edited January 2018
    I did it before I stalled and had to cut back on volume due to an endurance race I was training for. After I came back to lifting I switched to Wendler's 5/3/1 for lower volume and slower progression.

Based on my experiences I'd heartily recomment SL5x5 for beginner lifters. Eat 1 gram protein per lb bodyweight per day while you're doing it and start with small weights - you WILL hit the wall sooner than you expect, because you add a meaningful amount of weight on the bar every time you lift.

Enjoy!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Many people have had sucess, since a novice's progress is easily obtained with just about anything initially.

That being said Starting Strength is what SL is really based off. Starting strength is a better program that will get you stronger faster with better form if you buy/read the book.
  • Si_Brooks
    Si_Brooks Posts: 6 Member
    I have been lifting for a couple of years now, hit a bit of a wall with my standard splits. My idea was to do SL, then continue my normal routine, but being able to lift heavier. I started with:

Squat 100kg

Bench 85kg

Row 80kg

Hoping to keep bumping these numbers for a couple of months.
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    I found the StrongLifts app really helpful and easy to use in the gym.
    I followed it for about 6 months before I got fed up of my plateaus and went to find a personal trainer for more guidance.

I thought it was a great start though.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,214 Member
    Tried SL for a while at one point. Didn't love it, didn't hate it. Can see where it's a good place to start for beginners in learning the lifts/technique but I don't think it's necessarily the be-all-end-all. Both r/fitness and r/gainit do not include SL in their recommended routines as there are others out there that are a little more well-rounded (less squat emphasis, more DL volume, more upper body work) and still incorporate an easy-to-follow linear progression scheme. The wikis on both sub-reddits have some really decent information and list recommended programs at different levels (linked below).

You didn't list your body weight or deadlifting weight but assuming you weigh 60-70kg and can deadlift as much as you squat, your Wilks score is somewhere in the 210-250 range; which puts you in "intermediate" territory as far as strength benchmarks are concerned. That compared with your statement that you've been lifting for a few years, I think you'd be better served with 5/3/1, nSuns 5/3/1, or Candito (all listed on both sub-reddits) as intermediate programs which focus on increasing strength. PPL is also very popular, as are PHAT and PHUL.

Reddit links
    https://www.reddit.com/r/gainit/wiki/index#wiki_selecting_a_workout_routine
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/wiki/recommended_routines
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    When I started going for morning workouts at the gym I move to a Stronglifts type routine initially because of time. If I get to the gym by 530, then I can spend 30-40 minutes on weights, 20-30 minutes on cardio, shower change and be home by 7 or so...plenty of time to get ready for work and get the kids out the door.

During these past six months, I realized that I am no longer going for size, but rather strength...so this fits the reasoning as well.

I have been increasing regularly...but I do change the routine every month or so...and now I am really doing more of a 5x3 vs 5x5...but I am happy with it.

Bench - now do 225 for 5, but I'll do my 3 sets of 5 at 215. I have no issue with machines so I did a month using the horizontal Hammer Strength Bench press...partially because I didn't need a spotter (not easy to find at 530 in the morning at my gym). Now I do both.

Deadlift - I can rather easily do the 315 for 6, best is 385...want to hit 4 plates per side before I pause. Started with two plates per side.

Squats - Never liked squats so I have been cautious. Went for 3 sets 5 of 255 today. Then followed with full range leg press 10x440 and 8x530. I know that I can do more...no rush though.

FWIW I am now around 225lbs. My avatar was me at 205-210. Getting back to that range.
  • Si_Brooks
    steveko89 wrote: »
    Tried SL for a while at one point. Didn't love it, didn't hate it. Can see where it's a good place to start for beginners in learning the lifts/technique but I don't think it's necessarily the be-all-end-all. Both r/fitness and r/gainit do not include SL in their recommended routines as there are others out there that are a little more well-rounded (less squat emphasis, more DL volume, more upper body work) and still incorporate an easy-to-follow linear progression scheme. The wikis on both sub-reddits have some really decent information and list recommended programs at different levels (linked below).

You didn't list your body weight or deadlifting weight but assuming you weigh 60-70kg and can deadlift as much as you squat, your Wilks score is somewhere in the 210-250 range; which puts you in "intermediate" territory as far as strength benchmarks are concerned. That compared with your statement that you've been lifting for a few years, I think you'd be better served with 5/3/1, nSuns 5/3/1, or Candito (all listed on both sub-reddits) as intermediate programs which focus on increasing strength. PPL is also very popular, as are PHAT and PHUL.

Reddit links

Thanks for the reply.

I'm currently sitting at about 76kg. My DL PB is 162.6kg.

I'll have a look at those links, thanks.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    edited January 2018
    Si_Brooks wrote: »
    I have been lifting for a couple of years now, hit a bit of a wall with my standard splits. My idea was to do SL, then continue my normal routine, but being able to lift heavier.

A lot of people on MFP have tried Stronglifts (SL), Starting Strength (SS) and other beginner lifting programs.

I've done both SL and SS and preferred SS. I maxed out quickly w/both and do my own thing now.

Many people here only know sbout SL because it quickly pops up in Google searches and is often mention by others on MFP.

SS is based on better information and technique. Mark Rippetoe, the creator of SS, has written 2 books on the topic and has posted many instructional videos and articles on lifting. He also supports a free forum for SS users.

That said, either program should be helpful to eek out newbie gains but the OP is not a newbie and, although there is still room for improvement, at 76kg (167#) with lifts the levels below, I do not think that SL, SS or any other beginner program would be useful in achieving any significant additional gains.

DL 162.6kg (357.7#)
    Squat 100kg (220#)
    Bench 85kg (187#)
    Row 80kg (176#)

An intermediate level program like 5/3/1, Texas or PHAt would be better and I suggest that the OP look into those kinds of programs instead.

OP: You can find a good list of such programs in the initial post in the "Which Lifting Program Is Best For You" thread moderated by psuLemon that you can find in this subforum.

It should be easy to find. I'd post a link to it but can't do that from my phone.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,214 Member
    steveko89 wrote: »

Reddit links

Thanks for the reply.

I'm currently sitting at about 76kg. My DL PB is 162.6kg.

I'll have a look at those links, thanks.

I think you've definitely progressed to what would widely considered to be an intermediate lifter (245 wilks) and should select your program accordingly.
  • Chieflrg wrote: »
    Many people have had sucess, since a novice's progress is easily obtained with just about anything initially.

That being said Starting Strength is what SL is really based off. Starting strength is a better program that will get you stronger faster with better form if you buy/read the book.
    Seconded.

Ditch StrongLifts for Starting Strength. SS has more robust programming and coaching support. Rippetoe regularly publishes coaching content on his YouTube channel and a podcast. Read the books while your at it.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Chieflrg wrote: »

Good advice here.

Stronglifts (SL) is what I started off with getting back into this. After about 6 months I purchased Starting Strength (SS) and expanding my sessions based on this. Mehdi continually acknowledges Rippetoe & SS in his writings as SL is based upon the principles of SS.

I've been lifting for years, but never with formal instruction. When I started out 2 years ago I hired a professional to watch me and check my form. I spent the first few weeks working with a broomstick until my movement became robotic and clean. Very difficult to hide bad form with no weight. Since then I'm lifting heavier than ever with no injuries.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    I started with Stronglifts. The app really simplifies things. I do recommend reading Starting Strength, as it's really similar and will give you more detail on the lifts.
  • Si_Brooks
    Thanks for all the replies, this has been my first post and the community seems really helpful. I'm going to checkout SS.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    I started it a little too far into my lifting life, and on a cut. I liked it but there was only so long I could continue in that linear fashion.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    edited January 2018
    Thanks for all the replies, this has been my first post and the community seems really helpful. I'm going to checkout SS.

OP: Not sure if you got the message.

Based on what you've said about your lifting experience, you really should look into an intermediate program (like 5/3/1, Texas or PHAT) rather than a beginner program (like SS).

Not saying that doing SS (or SL) would be a wadte of time but you will achieve better gains by using a program designed for lifters, like you, who have already achieved their newbie (beginner) gains.

See the 1st post in the following thread for a list of such programs:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Chieflrg wrote: »

Going to agree. I am very much in the Starting Strength camp. 3 months of the novice and 5 months of programming from SS coaches got me from not lifting to a 1130 powerlifting total. That’s at 45 years old.