Fertility Journey

Anyone else on a fertility journey.

I am 37 and have had no children to date. I began fertility treatments and am starting with 3 rounds of IUI. However, due to my age and only having one ovary the chances are low.

My fertility doctor advised me though that in order to try IVF (after 3 unsuccessful IUI's) I have to have a BMI lower than 35. I am currently at 42.4. In order to get to exactly 35 I need to get my weight down to 237. I am currently at 286.8. So, I have approximately 50 pounds to lose and want to get that down by June at the latest.

Any other Hopeful to be Momma's out there on this journey?

Replies

• CryingBlue
    CryingBlue Posts: 270 Member
    I have read that the Keto diet is good for fertility troubles. Right now my husband is talking me into a baby. Looling like we may start trying this summer. :neutral:
  • SCRN2019
    SCRN2019 Posts: 26 Member
    Hi, I am on a journey to loose enough weight so that by next January we will be ready to try to conceive! Add me if you want we can work together!
  • LizPalen412
    LizPalen412 Posts: 38 Member
    Hi there! I'm 31 and also on a baby journey! We haven't started trying yet, so I'm not to the point of looking at IUIs or IVF, but I did have a family planning appointment with my doctor when I got my IUD taken out last month and she told me to try to get my weight down to have the best chances at conceiving and having a healthy pregnancy. I'm on a mission to lose about 50lbs as well! I don't really have a date I'd like to accomplish it by, but if I could get there by the end of the year, I'd be happy. Add me, let's be friends!
  • Beeky_85
    Beeky_85 Posts: 31 Member
    Hey, I’ve had 3 fresh and 3 frozen Ivf cycles and considering one last cycle - needing to get my BMI in a healthy range too. Feel free to add me as a friend. Good luck x
  • latentspring
    latentspring Posts: 27 Member
    PCOS and trying, too. have been for a year. weight is the game changer, I’m hoping. we’re going to be engaged this year and shooting for a wedding next year - I’m super not traditional, it would be a dream come true to have my own little lovebug up at the figurative altar with us!
  • LizPalen412
    PCOS and trying, too. have been for a year. weight is the game changer, I’m hoping. we’re going to be engaged this year and shooting for a wedding next year - I’m super not traditional, it would be a dream come true to have my own little lovebug up at the figurative altar with us!

I have PCOS also! Sucks, doesn't it? And yes, I've been told (and have read) that losing weight really is the game changer. I also have read a million places that keto is the best diet for ladies with PCOS, and for fertility in general, but it just isn't realistic for me long term, so I'm really hoping I can get the weight off just by watching my calories. I'm only a week into my weight loss attempt, but I did lose weight this week, so I'm hopeful.
  • rabidhamster87
    rabidhamster87 Posts: 74 Member
    edited January 2018
    PCOS here too! I'm losing weight for the same reasons. Honestly, I'm less worried about fertility and more concerned about having a healthy baby and not putting even more strain on my body, but I have a whole lot more to lose than y'all!

I'm like latentspring though. My fiance and I are engaged, but not really concerned about getting knocked up before the wedding. I think I'd actually welcome the excuse to have a courthouse weeding!
  • jessvanwyen
    jessvanwyen Posts: 2 Member
    Have to do IVF due to severe MFI. I don’t have any known pregnancy obstacles but I’m 5’4” and weigh 237. I’m 34 and on the cusp of being “old” fertility-wise so I’d like to try our first round this year. I’d love to get below 200 in time to try before I’m officially 35 in August.
  • JezebelBoo
    JezebelBoo Posts: 13 Member

I have PCOS also! Sucks, doesn't it? And yes, I've been told (and have read) that losing weight really is the game changer. I also have read a million places that keto is the best diet for ladies with PCOS, and for fertility in general, but it just isn't realistic for me long term, so I'm really hoping I can get the weight off just by watching my calories. I'm only a week into my weight loss attempt, but I did lose weight this week, so I'm hopeful.

I have PCOS as well as endometriosis! I've already had to have one ovary removed and three dnc's because I wasn't shedding the lining of my uterus. Yes, weight is supposed to definitely be a huge factor, I'm currently trying a bit of keto but I can only have 800 calories a day so I have to focus on my protein more. Today is day 8 and I'm down 7 pounds. Fingers crossed all this hard work will make a difference for us all ladies!
  • JezebelBoo
    Had an HSG test yesterday to check my uterus and fallopian tube to make sure it's clear. Test came back good. Today had an ultrasound to see how many follicles I have...only one showed up :( at 10 mm so now have to go back for another ultrasound on Tuesday to see if it's gotten any bigger (hoping a few more show up too). It needs to be at least 18 mm before they will have me take the Hcg injection and perform the IUI.
  • Beeky_85
    JezebelBoo wrote: »
    Had an HSG test yesterday to check my uterus and fallopian tube to make sure it's clear. Test came back good. Today had an ultrasound to see how many follicles I have...only one showed up :( at 10 mm so now have to go back for another ultrasound on Tuesday to see if it's gotten any bigger (hoping a few more show up too). It needs to be at least 18 mm before they will have me take the Hcg injection and perform the IUI.

Good luck. If your follies need a little help they could always prescribe you some menopur or gonal f.
  • bingo_007
    bingo_007 Posts: 101 Member
    we are undergoing IVF right now too, I have PCOS and endometriosis as well. The cycles on clomid and IUI were not successful for us. Due to the PCOS I had an egg quality problem too, so from my first IVF cycle we just managed to get 1 blastocyst of bad quality from 15 retrieved ones. The second cycle seems better and we managed to even freeze 3.

@Jezebel, is 800cal for you ok?, did a doc or dietitian check on this? It seems like quite a big deficit.
  • JezebelBoo
    Beeky_85 wrote: »
    JezebelBoo wrote: »

Good luck. If your follies need a little help they could always prescribe you some menopur or gonal f.

Thanks for the info, if it still hasn't grown and no others have shown up I will ask my doc about these! Also, sent you a friend request
  • JezebelBoo
    bingo_007 wrote: »
    we are undergoing IVF right now too, I have PCOS and endometriosis as well. The cycles on clomid and IUI were not successful for us. Due to the PCOS I had an egg quality problem too, so from my first IVF cycle we just managed to get 1 blastocyst of bad quality from 15 retrieved ones. The second cycle seems better and we managed to even freeze 3.

@Jezebel, is 800cal for you ok?, did a doc or dietitian check on this? It seems like quite a big deficit.

I wish you luck on your journey!

My surgeon has me on the 800 calories. I had gastric bypass in Dec. 2016 so I'm good as long as I concentrate on getting my protein.
  • bingo_007
    bingo_007 Posts: 101 Member
    alright, just checking because 800 seemed quite low. Hope it will all work out well for you
  • rlaurain
    rlaurain Posts: 64 Member
    Hi, I'm not in the exact same situation, but I am trying to lose weight for similar reasons. I have Hashimoto's autoimmune disease, thyroid disease, and inflammatory bowel disease/ulcerative colitis. I just got my BMI down from the obese range to the overweight range recently. I'm trying to lose 30 more pounds before we try to have kids. The odds are pretty stacked against me, there's also a family history on my mom's side of infertility (she has PCOS and had fertility treatments to have me) and so the few times I tried so far, nothing happened. I'm hoping that by eating healthy and exercising, I can get to my target weight, and get my health under control, so we can try without worrying. Feel free to add me.
  • JezebelBoo
    2 mature follicles at ultrasound today so IUI is scheduled for Friday!
  • LizPalen412
    @JezebelBoo yay! That's exciting! Hope it all goes well :)
  • Beeky_85
    Eeek good luck!! :wink: