Worth buying a treadmill or just go to gym

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    I was looking at treadmills..was thinking about the ProForm Pro 2000 but then thought just go to the gym. Its 7 minutes away. But the thought of doing it at home just sounds more appealing and "easier". Seems any treadmill I research under $1200 ALL have their "won't buy again" type reviews. Afraid to get any. Maybe I just answered my own question?

do you not have the weather to just run outside?

^^^^ That's my solution, run outside all year 'round. With the right clothing winter running can be exhilarating. I will skip a run if we have heavy freezing rain or the like but it will hit -40 around here occasionally during the winter.

If you really don't want to run outside in the winter my second choice (if your gym is only a few minutes away) would be to join the gym and use their machines. Gym quality treadmills are very expensive but, typically, are more enjoyable to run on than home one unless you buy a very expensive machine and you'll have access to their strength equipment as well.

I had 2 runs this past week.

Thursday, it was 28 degrees, and I had my subzero gear on. Great run... a little slick, but got my distance in.

Tuesday, back up to 50. Dressed a little lighter(should have worn a light jacket) by the end of the run I was miserable and cold(and it had dropped to 42)

Gear makes a huge difference.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    I got a free one on craigslist. It cost me $15 to rent a home depot truck to move it. Check craigslist, try at home for a while, and if you hate it, sell it back on craigslist (December is probably best time to sell a treadmill). I creeped your profile and found these in your area, many of which are under $200.

https://poconos.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=treadmill
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    My husband and I went cheap with our treadmill (about $700 if I recall). We have no regrets. Obviously it's not as nice as gym treadmills. We try to run outside as much as possible, but the treadmill has worked well when needed.
  • Kayla647
    Kayla647 Posts: 42 Member
    I have the Nordic track c990 I found I was more motivated to go to the gym because it's so easy to procrastinate at home, however I now have a child so I can't go the gym which is why I bought a treadmill I use during nap time.
  • KelGen02
    KelGen02 Posts: 668 Member
    When my Mom passed away she had a brand new treadmill that I inherited. It sat and collected dust a few years until about a year ago when I decided it was time to do something about my unhealthy lifestyle. Let me start by saying I LOATHE the treadmill. However, I do get on that stupid thing about 4x's a week and get my burn on. B) My husband gets up early M-F 445am to get on that stupid thing as well. On the flip side, i really hate the gym, I have always been soo uncomfortable and getting out of the house, especially in the winter months was a chore, so the treadmill works for my ism's. My husband and I power walk the trails in the nicer weather but I still get on the treadmill a couple times a week even then. Love hate relationship, who knew LOL

like others have said, see if you can get a free pass to the gym and get on the treadmill see how that works. If you want one at home, don't pay full price for a new machine. There are plenty of people selling theirs in February after their new year resolutions are long gone B) Now that I do have a machine at home and can get on it whenever I want, I will certainly be looking to replace that stupid thing when it goes.
  • joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Please tell me you wouldn't go to the gym to just go on a treadmill...
  • jessicagreen1828
    jessicagreen1828 Posts: 133 Member
    I love my treadmill! Mainly because it’s too cold and windy here for me to run outside all winter, and my gym has limited hours they offer childcare. I was worried I might not use it very much, but I see it everyday and I like having it as an option.
  • stanmann571
    joemac1988 wrote: »

Why not? That's why I go... well elliptical, but potato tomato.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I was looking at treadmills..was thinking about the ProForm Pro 2000 but then thought just go to the gym. Its 7 minutes away. But the thought of doing it at home just sounds more appealing and "easier". Seems any treadmill I research under $1200 ALL have their "won't buy again" type reviews. Afraid to get any. Maybe I just answered my own question?

I don't think I'd ever consider a gym membership just to use a treadmill. A gym is great if/when you want access to a lot of different equipment and a weight room...my membership is $50/month and I couldn't imagine spending that just to use a treadmill.

I personally do little to no cardio at the gym. My preference is cycling and I like to be outside on the road or in the mountains. If I'm going to walk, I'd much rather do so outdoors...I used to run more and usually did that outdoors as well.

Due to weather and darkness during the winter, I do use my indoor cycle trainer more often, but I basically loath it...nothing more boring than stationary exercise IMO.

We had a treadmill for about 12 years at our house...I think it got used like 6 times maybe...made a nice coat rack for the most part.
  • madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    Do you live in an apartment or a house? If an apartment, go to the gym as your neighbors won't like you anymore.
  • stanmann571

For me it seems wasteful because there are no close or inexpensive gyms near me so it's a matter of ymmv. I can't see spending$50 -$70 per month and driving 25-40 minutes for just a treadmill.

Ah... I'm paying $20 and it's less than 10 minutes away.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    edited January 2018

For me it seems wasteful because there are no close or inexpensive gyms near me so it's a matter of ymmv. I can't see spending$50 -$70 per month and driving 25-40 minutes for just a treadmill.

I didn't join my gym just to use the treadmill. I use several pieces of equipment there. In addition to the treadmill, I sometimes use the elliptical, sometimes the recumbent bike, and every time I'm there I also use several of the circuit machines the chest press the bicep press the ab cruncher, the triceps press etc etc. I don't do just cardio at the gym.

I'm paying $70 a month give or take it might be 75... But that's for both my husband and me. My husband goes and uses all of the stuff on the weight lifting side of the gym. I use a few of those things on that side of the gym as well.

Additionally my membership includes any and all classes that are held at the gym. Unfortunately at this point in my life my schedule does not mesh with the classes I want to take but if I wanted to take them I certainly could and I'm going to,once my schedule becomes more predictable or if another class opens up at a time that I can consistently attend.

So I guess it's all in your perspective of use. I would not spend the money on the treadmill because I don't have the room for it, and I would not want to have to try to get rid of it when I no longer use it. I much prefer to walk outside or ride my bike when the weather is good. On days that I can't make it to the gym, I get my steps in by just pacing around my house lol
  • mzione904
    mzione904 Posts: 13 Member
    I bought a home elliptical and ended up selling it. The thought of it being easy and more convenient did not work for me. I had the home elliptical for 6 months and barely used. Joined a gym and slowly i've been going consistently 4 days a week for the past 2 months. Depends on the person but i discovered i like the variety of going to the gym. Some days i feel like elliptical, some days i do the rowing machine.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    No it wouldn't be for me either. And I probably wouldn't spend the money on a treadmill myself. because I'd much rather exercise outside. But I know that's a problem when the weather is miserable
  • genpopadopolous
    genpopadopolous Posts: 411 Member
    I got a really nice treadmill on our Facebook b/s/t page for 100 bucks.

I prefer to run/walk outside- but i am a stay-at-home mom to two small kids and my husband works and travels a lot so I use my treadmill a fair amount- usually a couple times a week.

I only workout at home, though. 6 days a week, so I knew I would use it.
  • cshern
    cshern Posts: 55 Member
    Be honest with yourself about which you will really use. Are you the type of person who can exercise for 30 or 40 minutes alone everyday, with nothing but the invariably annoying sound of your home treadmill solution. Or are you the type of person who is social and likes being around other people, even if you don't know them at first.
  • CarolineEdw
    CarolineEdw Posts: 2 Member
    OK so I'm a road runner (not the feathered variety) and I can't understand how anyone can run on a treadmill - whether at home or at the gym. My recommendation would be try outside first a few times especially if you don't already run.