Processed foods

What’s your opinion. I’ve heard different things. Like you shouldn’t eat anything that comes in a package. Well as far as snacks go. Pretzels come in a package but considered a healthy snack. Ground turkey or most meats for that matter come in a package. Then I heard you shouldn’t consume processed foods that have more the 4/5 ingredients. Some whole grains breads, now please correct me if I’m wrong have more than 5 ingredients. I’ve also heard MINIMALLY processed foods are ok.

Replies

• fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    I don't eat very many highly processed foods, but I don't really think there's anything inherently wrong with them.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited January 2018
    It's all sort of processed. Even putting fresh raw fruits through a juicer delivers a processed product which is devoid of valuable fiber.

Your OP prompts me to describe the ingredients in my homemade whole wheat bread.

1. Butter
    2. Flour, 1/2 whole wheat and 1/2 fine bread flour
    3. water,
    4. milk powder, although some recipes call for milk instead of both water and milk powder.
    5. sugar
    6. yeast, in the recipes that call for milk, this would be 5 ingredients
    7. ground flax seeds
    8. chia seeds

My last 2 ingredients are not necessary to make basic bread. They add Omega 3, protein, and fiber to the bread. They do not render the bread 'junk'.
  • packersfan0103
    packersfan0103 Posts: 250 Member
    Thank you all for your feedback. I guess it’s really all about making healthy choices. Pretzels over say, Oreos. Whole grain toast over maybe sourdough. Unless maybe one slice of sourdough. Baked potato over French fried. Grilled chicken over fried chicken. As far as dessert goes. I have an ice cream maker and it does say in the little user handbook to consume what you’ve made within a few days because it does not have all of the preservatives as store bought stuff.
  • packersfan0103
    It's all sort of processed. Even putting fresh raw fruits through a juicer delivers a processed product which is devoid of valuable fiber.

Your OP prompts me to describe the ingredients in my homemade whole wheat bread.

1. Butter
    2. Flour, 1/2 whole wheat and 1/2 fine bread flour
    3. water,
    4. milk powder, although some recipes call for milk instead of both water and milk powder.
    5. sugar
    6. yeast, in the recipes that call for milk, this would be 5 ingredients
    7. ground flax seeds
    8. chia seeds

My last 2 ingredients are not necessary to make basic bread. They add Omega 3, protein, and fiber to the bread. They do not render the bread 'junk'.

So do you make just enough so that it is all consumed within a few days.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    At one stage of this journey, I was treating 1 serving of prunes as sweet dessert, fruit, and fiber all at the same time. These days I include 4 oz of Blue Bell No Sugar Added ice cream, 90 calories, almost every day, and try to include 1 square of dark chocolate each evening.
  • astronaught
    astronaught Posts: 103 Member
    What’s your opinion. I’ve heard different things. Like you shouldn’t eat anything that comes in a package. Well as far as snacks go. Pretzels come in a package but considered a healthy snack. Ground turkey or most meats for that matter come in a package. Then I heard you shouldn’t consume processed foods that have more the 4/5 ingredients. Some whole grains breads, now please correct me if I’m wrong have more than 5 ingredients. I’ve also heard MINIMALLY processed foods are ok.

Any saying about processed foods that could be put on a bumper sticker probably won't help you make better diet and life choices.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I eat processed foods, but i also eat fresh whole foods. I try not to make processed foods the majority of my diet, just a part of it.
  • packersfan0103
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I haven't seen any evidence that there is anything wrong with eating processed food. It's such a meaningless word.

The key IMHO is making sure you are getting the nutrition you need, and my gut tells me including a reasonable amount of whole foods is a good idea for health. I just make sure I get enough protein and fiber and am constantly trying to increase the veggies and fruit in my diet. Beyond that, I don't think having a Hot Pocket or a Twinkie is that big deal. <shrug>

Just not for breakfast lunch and dinner.
  • packersfan0103

Any saying about processed foods that could be put on a bumper sticker probably won't help you make better diet and life choices.

Agreed. I’ve just heard so many different things. I was curious about what others thought.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    edited January 2018
    I eat what I want. I feel best when I exercise fairly regularly, and meet my minimum protein, fat, fiber, and other nutrition goals... And when I get most of the carbs allowed it to me for the day. I don't worry about going over for my sugars or going over for my sodium.

I eat a lot of Lean Cuisine and other packaged food. I really don't care. I eat what I like and what is convenient.
  • packersfan0103
    I eat processed foods, but i also eat fresh whole foods. I try not to make processed foods the majority of my diet, just a part of it.

I’ve heard so many different things. I was just wondering what others thought about the whole processed vs. fresh foods only and was hoping to get some tips on what others might recommend as far as snacking.
  • wizzybeth
    You will find 90 gazillion different opinions over everything.

You don't have to eat clean to lose weight you only have to watch your calories. I used to be all angsty over food... Organic versus non-organic... Process versus not processed... And then I realized we're all going to die anyway. LOL. I might as well enjoy myself while I am here.

Most important way to stay healthy is to be at a healthy weight. And all I need to do that is cut my calories. A calorie truly is a calorie regardless of what other people, and so-called gurus and experts, Macy.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited January 2018
    The only rules I follow are:
    1) Hit my macros
    2) Get my nutrients and fiber
    3) Make sure I hit my minimum protein

The rest is all noise, if I feel like Pizza and I have my three rules in check, then I'll have my pizza or my kraft processed cheese or whatever is listed as junk or processed.

It's all about our individual choices, if you want to eat only "healthy" food and it makes you happy, so be it. I like to Yolo as long as my goals are being met.
  • packersfan0103
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    I eat what I want. I feel best when I exercise fairly regularly, and meet my minimum protein, fat, fiber, and other nutrition goals... And when I get most of the carbs allowed it to me for the day. I don't worry about going over for my sugars or going over for my sodium.

I eat a lot of Lean Cuisine and other packaged food. I really don't care. I eat what I like and what is convenient.

It’s the convenience part that gets me. Working 2 jobs dealing with the kids trying to keep the house in order.

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth wrote: »

It’s the convenience part that gets me. Working 2 jobs dealing with the kids trying to keep the house in order.

Exactly. You've got to do what works for you, that will keep you on track without overwhelming you or causing you to burn out and give up. Too many rules makes it a huge burden.