Higher Fat Diet tips

I’ve gradually been decreasing my carbs, I’m not a huge carb eater to begin with, it’s never been the thing to fill me up unless it’s oatmeal really. My big thing though is that I’ve also been increasing my fats to go along with the decrease in carbs. Currently I’m eating 35c/35f/30p and eating at maintenance or a little under usually. At this point I’m really focused on body composition and was wondering if anyone had any advice/tips on eating lower carbs/higher fat. Did you see a difference in your body composition? What did your meals (breakfast, Lunch, dinner) consist of? What kind of snacks were you eating? What were your goals? What were your macros? Things to that degree.

Replies

• aishuhualove
    aishuhualove Posts: 1 Member
    I've been doing this for about two years now, so I am not an expert, but I keep my ratios around the same as you. I have incorporated intermittent fasting along with this method of eating to help reduce my insulin levels. My first meal tends to be around 2pm and it involves a huge salad (90-100% spinach) with homemade salad dressing (olive oil and lemon). I try to keep my eating window down within 3-4 hours so I can get all of the macros. So, after I get my kids from school (5min away) I eat some hamburger, pork or chicken with kale and an onion and then have 3tbsp of kraft 100% natural peanut butter. I, like you, keep coming up short calorically, but I feel full. My goals aren't aesthetic in nature, but I have noticed that my weight is much more balanced than it was before I ate like this. I don't fluctuate up and down all of the time. I seem to float around 163-166lbs. I maintain a morning yoga schedule 5 days a week. Hope this is helpful. Keep posting about your progress and obstacles. I am very interested.
  • DarianJP
    DarianJP Posts: 95 Member
    Thank you for your response, it’s very insightful! Its interesting to hear how it’s affected your appetite and your intermittent fasting routine sounds great! I’ve thought about trying it out, maybe breaking my fast about 1 or 2pm and then keep my eating window open until around 8 or 9pm. And yoga is the best, before it got cold I went to a hot yoga class every Wednesday. But thank you again for all the information!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    intermittent fasting is really only a period of time to take in calories. I dont lose anymore weight doing IF(16:8) than I do when I dont fast. it also can be easy to overeat while fasting as well. I do it because I am not or never was a big breakfast person,even as a child.eating one way vs another is not going to make a difference in how your body looks, weigh fluctuations are normal and to be expected and if female its going to fluctuate even more due to TOM,water retention and hormones. if your weight stays in a weight range and you arent losing or gaining you are maintaining your weight.to change how your body looks look into a progressive lifting program as it will definitely change how your body looks.Im at a higher weight but smaller clothing due to lifting.

everyone is different so what my macros,goals and so on are may not be conducive to yours. if you eat lower carbs and up the fat make sure you still get enough protein. around .8-.1 g per lb when losing weight.also if you eat really low carb or do keto make sure you get more sodium,magnesium and potassium. if doing keto 3500-5000 mg of sodium a day is needed to make sure you dont get keto flu.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    My son has to be on a very low carb diet because of a medical condition. He can't eat cheese or lots of other high fat foods for the same reason. So lots of meat, nuts, eggs. Full fat milk has a huge number of calories. Butter is ridiculous.
  • klenz525
    klenz525 Posts: 39 Member
    Hello! I follow a keto diet for medical reasons, so I eat extremely low carb/high fat. My ratios are 5%c/70%f/25%p. Typical breakfasts are eggs, meats, avocados, keto pancakes. Lunches I do salad with salami and mozz cheese, celery and fatty dip, etc. Dinners are either a crockpot type of meal with creamy sauces or grilled steaks and buttered greens.

I log consistently and I'm always trying new high fat recipes, so feel free to add me to see my diary/chat about the high fat ways!