Anyone else ride their bike to work?

Quinn2816
Quinn2816 Posts: 6
edited November 2023 in Fitness and Exercise
I live in a medium sized city and I ride my bike to work. I have been doing so for about the whole summer, while taking a recent break but now that it's cooling down I'm planning on getting back into it full swing. Anyone else do this? I also plan on doing some strength training at home too and I'll go on "mini-jogs" with my dog.

Do you think this is a good idea and will work for me? It's about 25-30 min and a mix of uphill/downhill and I probably pedal at about a moderate pace (I work in an office so I don't want to get too sweaty). What do you think?

Replies

• I live in a medium sized city and I ride my bike to work. I have been doing so for about the whole summer, while taking a recent break but now that it's cooling down I'm planning on getting back into it full swing. Anyone else do this? I also plan on doing some strength training at home too and I'll go on "mini-jogs" with my dog.

Do you think this is a good idea and will work for me? It's about 25-30 min and a mix of uphill/downhill and I probably pedal at about a moderate pace (I work in an office so I don't want to get too sweaty). What do you think?
  • Yep! I ride every day also, for about five or six years. Not sure what your weather's like, but I'm in Edmonton, Canada, and so my season is about April-October/November. I tried some winter biking, but after an icy wipeout, I decided against it. Also, anything below -10C is just not worth it!
    My ride is the same, about 35 minutes, and it's awesome. It's essentially the only fitness regime I've been able to maintain for a decent length of time, mainly because it's unavoidable. So on days when my legs are too sore, or I'm bored, or I just really don't want to do it, I still have to anyway! (And I do get a smug sense of satisfaction when I cycle past a long line of cars....)
    Benefits of cycling are numerous - energy level, commuting costs, enviro reasons, less traffic stress, decompression time between home & work, etc. I can't see any reason why this wouldn't work for you, it's the simplest way to stay in shape, and without taxing your joints as badly as running does!
    I also work in an office and I have not really found many problems. I bring a change of clothes (that doesn't get wrinkled in my backpack) and I'm usually fine.
  • Nice! I didn't even think about the winter and the ice...though I did stop for a few weeks when the weather was unbearably hot up here. The main reason I started was because of financial reasons, and the fitness part was just an added bonus. I usually don't bring a spare set of clothes, I just ride in my work clothes. I do sometimes have to bring extra shoes since you can't ride in heels! here's to hoping calorie counting helps bring on a bit of weight loss since riding alone didn't do it!

Thanks for getting back to me :)
This discussion has been closed.