Caffeine

Hi everyone, I got a question. I'm looking into preworkouts and am wondering if it'd be good for me. I know I should ask my Dr. But honestly I hate the visits. When I deink energy drinks such as rockstars and redbulls for an energy boost, it gives me irregular heartbeats and chest pain. I can, and do drink black coffee almost all day, everyday, so it isn't the caffeine that causes the problem. Would preworkouts do the same as energy drinks? Thanks.

Replies

• Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member

Yeah, probably best to get a full physical done.
  • DeShawn602
    DeShawn602 Posts: 4 Member
    I've been to the Dr. A few times in the last 5 months and they did all the xray and other tests to see what's up and they say I'm perfectly fine. They informed me on what can cause those problems and she said caffeine was one of them, but I drink 3-4 cups a day. I just don't want to do to the Dr just to ask about the preworkout because, figured someone on here may know.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    I had the same thing, went to doctor she told me to cut the coffee right down and hey presto no more palpitations or pains.

I can't drink more than 2-3 cups a day max, I was drinking around 12 cups a day.

It is easy to find out. Just stop drinking coffee and energy drinks. If the palpitations stop then you know the culprit.

Maybe find a food to fuel your work out with.

• MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Energy drinks have a stupid amount of caffeine. Honestly I'd drop them and stick to coffee if you absolutely need a caffeine fix.

That being said get heart-specific tests done. I had the same symptoms with my anxiety and while he did suggest I cut down the caffeine he also had me wear a heart monitor for two weeks to eliminate any physical issue. Better to be safe than sorry.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    You're drinking black coffee all day every day (or 3-4 cups a day, you're reporting two different things above), adding energy drinks on top of the coffee, and wondering why you're getting heart palpitations and chest pains? And now you want to know whether to add preworkout supplements which:
    ...often contain a mystery blend of ingredients ranging from caffeine to guarana to creatine...

Guarana acts as a stimulant, and contains twice the caffeine contained in coffee beans:
    [guarana's] seeds contain about twice the concentration of caffeine found in coffee seeds (about 2–4.5% caffeine in guarana seeds compared to 1–2% for coffee seeds)
    (Wikipedia)

How much do you like spending time in the hospital?

http://www.sciencealert.com/just-one-energy-drink-could-increase-risk-of-heart-disease-experts-warn
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    Perhaps the problem is that the caffeine in the coffee you drink all day is the most that you can handle, so the energy drink on top of that is one caffeine too many. Try having one of your coffees right before you work out if you need the energy. And consider working on your sleep quality/quantity and cutting back on the coffee. It sounds like you may be getting into a vicious cycle of not sleeping well and depending on caffeine, and it's affecting your health. Heart stuff is serious, don't mess with it!
  • Trixsterfan
    Trixsterfan Posts: 54 Member
    DeShawn602 wrote: »
    I've been to the Dr. A few times in the last 5 months and they did all the xray and other tests to see what's up and they say I'm perfectly fine. They informed me on what can cause those problems and she said caffeine was one of them, but I drink 3-4 cups a day. I just don't want to do to the Dr just to ask about the preworkout because, figured someone on here may know.

An xray will not show any problems with the heart, a full scan of the heart will show some problems, an angiogram will give a 100% diagnosis of your heart condition. ADVICE stop wasting money on energy drinks use the money to get a private heart scan. Secondly nobody needs energy boosters for exercise if their diet is right.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    This is causing you anxiety.

Do the workout, skip the drink. Then you won't have to worry.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    You should cut your coffee with decaf to 3/4 caffeinated, then to 1/2 caff. Then, when you need a boost, full caff will do the trick. Works for me...I would not recommend pre-workouts.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Momepro wrote: »
    Yeah, probably best to get a full physical done.

ROFL! How is suggesting getting a physical considered magical thinking or unfounded non-science? :D:D
  • JAYxMSxPES
    JAYxMSxPES Posts: 193 Member
    Some of the research I saw in school suggests that 300mg's of caffeine is kind of the "bad" point in-which people, on average, can start experiencing heart palps, nervousness, and other negative side-effects. Those were all conducted on healthy populations though, so take it for what it's worth. Getting a physical can be time consuming but understanding one's health is never a bad thing. Also, start keeping better track of how much caffeine you're consuming each day. Especially if you're experiencing problems!

Most of the RockStar / Monster drinks I've had, have 160mg's of caffeine in one can (80mg's * 2 servings). I've seen some that are significantly more than that. So if you're having a couple cans, plus coffee then you might be consuming well over 300mg's per day. Not to mention there's a ton of sugar in those which could be part of your problem as well.

Re-read your PWO label, some of those have 200mg's+ in a single serving. There are non-stimulant versions of some PWO's, possibly take a look at those.
  • okohjacinda
    okohjacinda Posts: 329 Member
    Not trying to be a smartass but have you tried sleeping longer? I used to have absolutely no energy for working out or getting through the day until I started going to bed a bit earlier so that I could gain 1 or 2 more hours of sleep and it worked. I had way more energy and didn't feel sluggish when it was time to do my workouts.

Caffeine can become a drug if you're not careful and it can actually affect your sleeping pattern which can ultimately cause a lot of bad consequences such as weight gain, depression, irritability, headaches... just to name a few.

Trust...I have been there and its not pretty.

• DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    I always have a cup of coffee with half and half before a workout. Have you thought about drinking water, too? Sometimes being dehydrated contributes to feeling weak and tired.
  • its1230atnight
    its1230atnight Posts: 26 Member
    Having some panic attacks there, friend?
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    You've gotten plenty of good advice.

It's not the first dose that causes the overdose, it's the last one.

If you need a pickup before working out, cut back on your coffee, for at least a week or 2 before adding a new caffeine source.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    edited January 2018
    Preworkout is completely unnecessary. Why do you think you need to add it?
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    DeShawn602 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I got a question. I'm looking into preworkouts and am wondering if it'd be good for me. I know I should ask my Dr. But honestly I hate the visits. When I deink energy drinks such as rockstars and redbulls for an energy boost, it gives me irregular heartbeats and chest pain. I can, and do drink black coffee almost all day, everyday, so it isn't the caffeine that causes the problem. Would preworkouts do the same as energy drinks? Thanks.

The dosage in the energy drinks is probably a lot higher than a cup of coffee, and you may be consuming faster (hard to do more than slowly sip something hot like coffee).

Is there any reason you feel the need for a pre-workout?